The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This point of this is to help people learn about choosing a quality stud and mare to produce a quality foal. So hopefully in the future, if they do happen to breed, they can make an informed and intelligent decision when it comes to picking the parents.
As a 'novice breeder', I haven't the slightest clue when it comes to looking at a potential sire. I have a general knowledge of what a GOOD horse looks like, but I am often times easily sidetracked by a nice color or pretty head. This can be a fatal mistake in the breeding world. By creating this game I hope that novices like me will better learn what to look for, what to avoid, and what is a definite 'Yes!'

This game is open for everyone, it is not a competition or a 'which breeds better' contest. 'Winners' will be picked by the community via voting :)

How To Play
1. Browse the internet for your 'stud'
2. Browse the internet for your 'broodmare'
3. Fill out the forum truthfully. Be sure to take into consideration papers, show record, previous offspring, etc. when choosing your breeding stock!
4. Wait for all the entries to be collected and posted in one big voting post. There will be categories for 'Best Stud', 'Best Mare', 'Best Pairing', etc.

Discussions about studs, mares, pros, cons, and bloodlines are HIGHLY encouraged! Remember, this is meant to be both fun and educational. First time breeders may not be able to spot vital faults as long time breeders are often able to. That stud may have a pretty color...but boy does he have a terrible hip! :D

What you can do:
-Pick any breed
-Pick any cross
-Use a gelding as your 'stud'
-Use a horse you know but do not own
-Other members horses may be used with their expressed permission
-IT IS NOT REQUIRED that you fill out the 'Foal' form. This is flat out for fun to 'see' what you got from your 'breeding' :p

What you can't do:
-Use your own horses (sorry!)
-Submit more than one 'breeding' (keeps it fair :))
-Give an unpapered horse papers
-Give an unshown horse a show record
-No unicorns or Pegasus (sorry again)
-Pictures are required, you can't breed a horse you can't see! xD

Breeding Form
* = required information

Stud
*Breed:
Name:
*Color:
Sire:
Dam:
Registered?: y/n *if registered, bloodlines optional*
Previous Offspring?: y/n *examples optional*
Show Record: *optional*
Genetics: (if the stud has been tested positive/negative for any defects or diseases common to the breed)
Color Genetics: *optional*
*Faults: (what faults can you note? Example: He has a good head, but his hip isn't as nice as it could be)
*Pros: (nice head, hip, legs, etc.)
*WHY You Chose this Stud:
*Picture(s): (a good conformation shot is vital!)

Mare
*Breed:
Name:
*Color:
Sire:
Dam:
Registered?: y/n *if registered, bloodlines optional*
Previous Offspring?: y/n *examples optional*
Show Record: *optional*
Genetics: (if the mare has been tested positive/negative for any defects or diseases common to the breed)
Color Genetics: *optional*
*Faults: (what faults can you note? Example: She has a fine topline, but her head is awful coarse looking)
*Pros: (nice head, hip, legs, etc.)
*WHY You Chose this Mare:
*Picture(s): (a good conformation shot is vital!)

*optional* Foal
Breed:
Name:
Color:
Sire:
Dam:
Registered?: y/n
Color Genetics:
Future Training:
Will he/she be kept as a stud/broodmare?:
Show plans?:
For Sale?:
Cuteness Scale: 1 (lowest) - 10 (highest)
Picture:

HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am not sure I understand the procedure-- do you want the completed forms and photos PM'd to you so that you can post all of it is one big slug, or are members supposed to gather all their info but wait till you say "go" and post it themselves, or....? (Sorry, I am easily confused!:?)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.