The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see your opinion about this colt.

I adopted this colt from a backyard breeder for free due to his crazily huge Umbilical Hernia. I do not have any experience with babies that is younger than yearling. I just couldn't abadon him in that home because it is 1/4 acre of muddy lot along with other 8 horses. He would die in there because his hernia is life threatening. I brought him home when he is 4 months old on June 16th.

His hernia.

He went to the hospital to receive surgery on June 21st. The result is

Few weeks later. His wound is completely healed. He is 6 months old now.

The point of this post is few people have been bashing at me for being an idiot to adopt a foal without any knowledge for caring one. I am wondering if I have been doing right thing? I just need a support here. I am feeling bad with all people's comments about me being idiot.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know why they did, but appears that they thinks taking care a foal is one dangerous job and I have ability to ruin its life if I lead him to wrong path.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Oh wow. Good on you for getting him the help he needed. He's sure a cutie and I'm sure he'll thank you for your generosity!

May I ask how old he is now and potentially the general range of what it cost to have that done? My yearling filly has an umbilical hernia that they failed to fix when she was a baby, and while the vets have told me its right under the size where it HAS to be fixed (its about the size of a large gum ball if that) I really would like to have it done as a precaution. I'm unsure if its riskier as they age though...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I think you did the right thing! A lot of people have good intentions when getting a horse out of a bad situation but don't go about it the right way but you've done a great thing for him! I'm glad he had the surgery and has recovered well. It's great that you're willing to ask for opinions or seek help as needed. Keeping an open mind is most important! I think you're doing a great job. He looks in much better health :)

Do you have any more pictures of him?

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh wow. Good on you for getting him the help he needed. He's sure a cutie and I'm sure he'll thank you for your generosity!

May I ask how old he is now and potentially the general range of what it cost to have that done? My yearling filly has an umbilical hernia that they failed to fix when she was a baby, and while the vets have told me its right under the size where it HAS to be fixed (its about the size of a large gum ball if that) I really would like to have it done as a precaution. I'm unsure if its riskier as they age though...
He is 6 months old now. He had the surgery when he is 4 months old. The cost ranges from $150 - $1000 depending on size of hernia. What I paid for his surgery is $800. Any hernia is smaller than gumball will have a chance to go away by itself. Bigger hernia is better to be fixed younger. It will be risker when it gets older but the small hernia. its better to be fixed before 3 years old if it didnt go away on its own.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I agree. Who is one to judge you when no-one came to his rescue.

he is very lucky to have you. That's quite the hernia. :shock:

My filly had a hernia from birth, i had it repaired back in June. She recovered quickly without any complications. It was a relief to have it fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I doubt Kenzie's will go away on its own since she is already 22 months old. I've had her since 14 months old and it has gotten neither larger or smaller.

Thank you for answering those questions!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Good for you taking him in and getting him the help he needed. While I don't agree with folks bashing on you for taking in a colt with no experience, I do have to agree that you'll be better off if you get some help when it comes to training your guy. It's so easy to make big mistakes with those young'uns and have them get stuck with the results for the rest of their lives.

Endiku, not sure how it will differ from our locations, but when I got Taz's fixed (and it was fairly large, like 3 fingers), the operation itself was $125, plus some extra for all the drugs and such. I got him gelded at the same time and the total bill was $270.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody. I already have plans for my colt. I will hire a trainer to work with him. He already knew how to lead walk/trot/whoa. He will pick up his hooves, but still need work to stand for farrier. He ties quietly. He enters the trailer without any problem. If he starts to misbehave or picks up a habit, I would hire somebody immediately to help him stop the bad habits before it gets too late.

Reactions: smrobs

·
Registered
112 Posts
wow I am literly crying now! Not because of the hernia but because the pic that you posted is the spitting image if my Chance! I lost him lasy year at the young age of 7 to cancer. When I saw that pic it brought back so many memories both good and bad! I am so happy you rescued this baby! Take good care of him!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.