The Horse Forum banner

The Everyday Adventures of New Trail Riders

12804 216
Decided to go ahead and start my journal today. Nothing new to share today, horsey-wise. Good news riding schedule-wise, though. I talked to the higher ups at work about me doing flex scheduling through the winter so that I can leave work during daylight to ride my horses and then come back after dark to finish up at work. They're fine with it whenever meetings etc don't get in the way. Wish I could ride today but we've got a bunch of stuff going on at work and I have to work all day and stay late. Maybe I'll take a whole day off next week to make up for it.

So these are my three horses. The white (cremello) quarter horse is Ona, the one I got started off with. Got scheistered into buying a 6 month old filly as my first horse. I didn't know any better. She'll be six in April and I've managed to spoil her. She's already been broke and had a lot of professional training but I managed to un-break her, so she's out for more training. The day we dropped her off for training we picked up the new guy, "Joe" (formerly known as TJ). He's an 18-yo Missouri Fox Trotter. He's the sorrel without a stripe. PJ is the sorrel quarter horse with the stripe. He's 18 or 19. Both PJ and Joe have tons of trail miles on them and were owned by long distance trail riders so I think they'll be great for hubby and I to learn on.

Ultimate dream: endurance riding, on Ona. Yea she's a quarter horse but she's my young one so . . . . hopefully it works out? Plan: Hubby and I to start trail riding with PJ and Joe, get them and us in shape and get better at riding. When Ona comes home she'll hopefully be easier for me to handle and I'll try to ride her every day, with hubby switching out between PJ and Joe and some nice long relaxing riding weekends with Joe and PJ. Build up to competitive trail riding and then maybe endurance.

Edited to add: We are no longer tying horses to the gate :)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,570 Posts
I always take my Honda Civic and find the trailer parking area before I take my truck and trailer. That way I can plan my route and know exactly where I'm going and that I can get in and out. If I didn't do that, I would be a nervous wreck.
Hope your ride on Tuesday goes well. Riding during the week is always better..fewer people, less traffic, more fun.

· Registered
1,570 Posts
@newtrailriders I'm sorry for the loss of you mother and your sisters illness.

A UP Vacation sounds wonderful. I will be moving to the UP as soon as we can manage to get a house built. We are outside of Munising. Where in the UP did you visit? I've been traveling back and forth for many years and have yet to take my horses. It seems like an awfully long drive for the horses to deal with. I'll probably only take them up there when we move.

It's a wonderful feeling when you have a good ride, isn't it? Enjpy your summer!

· Registered
1,570 Posts
@newtrailriders so fun to find another UP lover!

we live in Akron Ohio now. I retire in 33 more days!!!!! so hope to break ground for a house maybe this fall and get moved next summer? it's all kind of up in the air, but I really love it there.

I have not yet encountered a wolf, but I've seen tracks and our neighbors have seen them. Coyotes yes and bears. We've seen cougar tracks in the Hiawatha.

I don't know about horse riding on the ski trails (i've often had the same thought) but I do know there is a horse trail that runs all the way from Rapid River up to M94 just outside of Munising. It's on my bucket list!

My husband has a few cousins in the UP, but we don't really visit them much. We very much enjoy the solitude.

· Registered
1,570 Posts
You are doing a super job and have come such a long way. Being scared and keeping on trying is quite impressive. I have walked in your shoes. Here is a pat on the back from me ✋
From me too! Pursuing our dreams can be scary, but conquering those challenges is a large part of the fun and sense of accomplishment!

· Registered
1,570 Posts
It sounds like you had quite an adventure and a learning experience @newtrailriders . When you look back in a few weeks you will realize how much fun it actually was, even though you think you didn't place well. Remember you are brand new at this, and so is Ona, right?

I enjoy reading your descriptions. This actually sounds like something Tucker and I might be willing to do. I may look into it.

· Registered
1,570 Posts
I too am sorry to hear that Ona is not progressing as hoped. I had to put drops in Tucker's eye and give him banamine for 3 days last week. It was nothing but an argument every single time. I feel for you. I don't think I would be able to do it.
My truck is also broken so I feel your pain in that regard also. Mine is a 1993 Chevy C3500. I also love it and very much hope that Husband can get it running for me again. I very much dislike being grounded.

· Registered
1,570 Posts
We don't know what Tucker did....I went out to ride Raven and saw that Tucker's left top eyelid was almost completely swollen shut. Sent pics to the vet and she agreed it was worth an emergency, after hours call, so when she was done with her day she came to look at him. She couldn't find anything- no scratches, no infection. So gave me so eye drops and told me to give him banamine. All I can say is I tried. The swelling was gone the next morning so who knows what he had done? I was lucky.
Yes, we are in the UP weather has not been bad at all (yet). We got our second snowfall of the season on Sunday, a bit more last night, but the sun came out and most of it is gone already.
I hope you get your truck back soon also!

Sending good thoughts for both you and Ona.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts