The Horse Forum banner
201 - 217 of 217 Posts

· Registered
1,570 Posts
I too am sorry to hear that Ona is not progressing as hoped. I had to put drops in Tucker's eye and give him banamine for 3 days last week. It was nothing but an argument every single time. I feel for you. I don't think I would be able to do it.
My truck is also broken so I feel your pain in that regard also. Mine is a 1993 Chevy C3500. I also love it and very much hope that Husband can get it running for me again. I very much dislike being grounded.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
I too am sorry to hear that Ona is not progressing as hoped. I had to put drops in Tucker's eye and give him banamine for 3 days last week. It was nothing but an argument every single time. I feel for you. I don't think I would be able to do it.
My truck is also broken so I feel your pain in that regard also. Mine is a 1993 Chevy C3500. I also love it and very much hope that Husband can get it running for me again. I very much dislike being grounded.
What happened with Tucker's eye? Is it OK now? I sure hate arguing with horses.

Let's hope and pray your husband gets your truck running! You live in the UP right? What's the weather like there now?

If I have to actually put the drops in Ona's eyes without the tubes, it's not going to happen.

· Registered
1,570 Posts
We don't know what Tucker did....I went out to ride Raven and saw that Tucker's left top eyelid was almost completely swollen shut. Sent pics to the vet and she agreed it was worth an emergency, after hours call, so when she was done with her day she came to look at him. She couldn't find anything- no scratches, no infection. So gave me so eye drops and told me to give him banamine. All I can say is I tried. The swelling was gone the next morning so who knows what he had done? I was lucky.
Yes, we are in the UP weather has not been bad at all (yet). We got our second snowfall of the season on Sunday, a bit more last night, but the sun came out and most of it is gone already.
I hope you get your truck back soon also!

Sending good thoughts for both you and Ona.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
I'm missing work again to bring her to the vet tomorrow morning. I'm missing a big mandatory leadership event. I've missed a lot of work and I'm not willing to sacrifice my career if her eyes aren't going to get better anyway. It would be different if they were improving.

I think tomorrow I'm going to tell the vet we're done treating her, unless she keeps her tubes in and we can do her appointments first thing in the mornings so I can help my husband load her up and he can bring her. Then the assistants will have to help get her loaded up again to go home. Otherwise we're pulling the tubes and stopping the treatments.

I guess we'll have to wean her off the atropine so maybe the vet will keep the tubes another couple weeks but this is it.

The vet said they can't keep the tubes in much longer and I can't get the drops in her eyes. I've tried and I can't get her to let me do it. So now what happens? Will her eyes get infected? Then what?

This sucks so bad.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Well.....I guess we got the miracle! Her eyes weren't looking any better to me but the vet says the ulcers are 100% healed! She says what I'm still seeing is just the blood vessels and those will start going away now! The tubes are out and we don't have to do any more eye treatments!!! God is soooo good!!!

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Thank you, God! I prayed fervently. I am so grateful. I hope you have many more happy years riding Ona.
Thank you so much for praying! I actually posted the request on a prayer page too. I had given up hope, so when they told me today that the ulcers were healed I just burst into tears. I'm praying for many more happy years riding her too! I'm so glad she doesn't have to endure any more treatments. I can't believe she doesn't hate me.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
We've been through a lot since May. I thought I was going to lose my husband when he got so sick in May. He's only just now back to his normal self, after six months. Then all the stuff with Ona, and my truck. I really had given up hope that she would be OK. And I wasn't at all ready to buy a new truck but thought the transmission was gone on it.

Lance is totally OK now (he just finished the flooring project he started before he got sick), and Ona's going to be OK. Fortunately I had taken out accident insurance on both myself and Lance, and his sepsis was caused by an open toe fracture. We got the insurance money and were able to use half of it to pay off Ona's vet bill and I gave the rest to Lance to use as he pleases. The truck issue turned out to be a very cheap fix - just a wiring issue! We went ahead and got oil and filter changes etc.all done on it and everything is OK. We're better off than we were before!

I can't believe everything is OK!

We've been through hard times before. When it rains, it pours. I did make a conscious decision to form one new good habit or make one permanent change every time I have to go through something very difficult. It started when I had a bad accident & got diagnosed with breast cancer after I'd just resigned my job and was getting ready to start another one, nearly went bankrupt, Lance had a stroke, my mom died, and my son disowned me all within 2 years. If I survive something awful I want to come out of it a better person.

When Lance was so sick I decided to be nicer and more patient with him, and I have stuck with it. Not that I was bad to him before but I need to cherish him.

I'm pampering all the animals now - better food, more time with them, more grooming. Supplements. Everybody's getting a vet checkup soon. I'm cooking for the dogs.

And I'm going to go clean the heck out of that truck, take it and the trailer to the truck wash, & get new windshield wipers for it.

God is good.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
I have a thread going about Joe's loading issues lately but decided to write in my diary today because I want to be able to find stuff when I look back later. I've been reading back through my old entries. This is the first time we've ever had any issues at all with Joe - but that's because we've always really taken it easy with him. I've never tried to do anything more than trail ride him with PJ or Ona. All this pressure is new to him! Taking him on rides without the others is a brand new thing.

I fed Ona and PJ today and gave Joe his handful of feed. When they were done eating, Lance came out to help me work on Joe's loading problems. We're going to load him into the trailer often, and then just turn him back out. He gets so upset and panicky about loading now (not on the way home, of course. After a ride, he just hopes right in.) Until the past few weeks, he was always the last horse in the trailer. So we literally just had to open the door and he hopped in. I don't know if his previous owner always had him in the trailer with other horses or not.

I've had some suggestions to use a stud chain but I really have no clue how he'd respond to that kind of pressure. He's a pretty sensitive horse. I put a rope halter and lunge rope on him, anticipating he'd pull back hard again like he's been doing. He tried that twice but hubby got behind him with a crop and that stopped him in his tracks. He is afraid of crops/whips. Just seeing one worries him - we have to be careful and not wave it around. He just needs the very lightest of taps to get him moving back forward. He backed out of the trailer twice but with hubby behind him with a crop he didn't run all the way back down the barn aisle. The third time, I was able to shut the divider and then I let him out right away and turned him loose. We'll just keep doing this. When he gets calmer about it, I'll start offering him some treats in the trailer then maybe groom him in there. He doesn't really enjoy grooming much, though. Not like Ona.

It has take so much to build trust with Ona. I wonder how long it will take to get to that point with Joe - if we ever get there.

Ona's eyes seem to be continuing to improve. She still has the glob of blood vessels partially blocking her vision on the right but they're getting less red. I asked the vets office about it and they say that is part of the healing process so it sounds like everything is going well with that.

Joe is looking good. He's an air fern, and fox trotters don't have the nicely defined muscles quarter horses have. He's pretty much been a shapeless barrel but now he's getting some definition and getting glossy.

PJ is showing his age. I guess I've felt like that about him every winter since we got him. He puts on weight rapidly in the Spring but it doesn't take long for him to start to show ribs if I don't feed him well when the grass stops growing. I'm giving him the Active Senior feed. He's not that active - maybe I should look for Lazy Senior feed. He's a good weight but just not an air fern like Joe. Also, he had a lameness episode a few weeks before we started having the problems with Ona's eyes. I had the ferrier check him out and he was slightly tender in one of his rear feet but the ferrier couldn't figure out why he was so lame. I was getting ready to bring him to the vet but he rapidly improved, so I thought maybe it was just an abscess that ruptured, that we couldn't find, or something. So I didn't bring him to the vet and then Ona's eyes happened. He never got all the way better. He doesn't gallop across the pasture anymore and I can see he's a little off. I'm starting to wonder if maybe he's got a problem with his hip, or some arthritis. He's next to go to the vet. I'll have his teeth floated and get his shots and a lameness exam. Maybe he needs an adjustment, IDK.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Ona's looking great. I think her left eye might be all the way healed - I couldn't see anything today but there might still be a tiny little bit of something there. The right eye is slowly improving.

I posted this part in my "loading issues" thread but want to keep in here for my own records:

We loaded Joe twice today, once after each feeding. The first time, I asked hubby to stay out of sight until/unless we needed him because Joe is really very responsive to having Lance behind him, especially if he has a crop in his hand. (and no - Lance has never hit him or threatened to). As I was leading him out, he started to hesitate and back up so Lance stepped out of the tack room and that's all it took - Joe jumped right in the trailer and let me close the divider. I let him out right away and he ran out to the pasture.

The second time, Lance stayed in the tack room. I led Joe right down the aisle and he jumped into the trailer with zero hesitation and no help from Lance. Lance stayed out of sight.

I think I'll load him once per day until I can get him loaded without Lance in the barn, and then continue to do it every other day or so for a while.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Ona's coming along. There is still a white area about the size of a dime on her right cornea but it seems to be getting more transparent along the edges.

Today was the first day practicing loading Joe, since my last entry. Eight of us got sick after Thanksgiving. I was sick for about 5 days, and Joint Commission finally showed up at work. After months of us being prepared, going in early etc. they finally showed up and I was too sick to leave the house the first day they were there! They started on Tuesday and finished Friday. We had the best survey our hospital has had in many years and the surveyors mentioned my work specifically when they were complimenting us. They said they were impressed with our hospital, in general, and especially with Infection Prevention :) It was a busy and stressful week, though, and I didn't do anything with the horses during the week.

This afternoon after we fed the horses I haltered Joe up and led him toward the trailer. He did the sudden stopping and backing up thing while I was leading him, then hubby came out of the tack room and Joe hopped right in the trailer. So I shut the door and then went in the other side and treated him then took him out to the pasture and lunged him a while. He didn't give me any trouble lunging. Then I brought him back in the barn and loaded him up again. He led well, jumped in no problem and I closed the door and treated him. Then I led him up and down the barn aisle a few times, and around the pasture - periodically stopping or backing and having him yield his hind once in a while and loaded him again, treated him, and turned him out.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts