Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am looking to buy a 3-year-old paint horse gelding, that is currently 14.1 hh. Are there any ideas as to how tall this horse might be when full grown?
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
How big were sire & dam? That will determine how big he will get. If parents are 14 - 14.3 hands your horse won't be much bigger.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I wouldn’t expect him to gain much. Occasionally, you can get the odd growth spurts in some geldings to 6-7yrs, but I would guess he will be in the 14.2/14.3h range when done. But more filled out.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had a paint that I got at 2 years old and she was 14-14.1 and at 5 years she was 15 H. I was really concerned that she would be big enough for me as I am 6'-0" and 175. She grew plenty and was the best horse I've ever had to date.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forum! But with respect, your question is like saying 'How tall will this 14yo child who's 160cm be when they grow up?' And then even knowing about parentage, you get horses like Noddy...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I guess you're right I suppose the question I should have asked is about what age do horses stop growing.
Thank you for helping!

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
You can try the string test, it isn't always accurate but will give a rough idea.

Measure with a length of string, from the point of the elbow to the back of the fetlock then reverse the string from the elbow to above the wither, the difference between the two is how much he is likely to grow.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
They continue to grow, fill out and close joints until 5 roughly. But the amount they grow slows to the point that if your horse is 3 and been fed adequately they aren't going to be putting on hands of height. Basically a horse that is 14 hands 2 inches at the age of 3 and has achieved 98% of their growth will top out at 15 hands putting that last two inches on over the next two years. That same horse would have been roughly 9 hands and 2 inches when born. Most of the growth is put on earlier rather than later when it comes to height.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.