The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I finally made the (scary) trek down to downtown Houston for the Thanksgiving parade. Traffic actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I had a blast! I went with some friends who have gone for years, and man they knew how to be prepared xD it was a beautiful albeit slightly chilly (I know, I know...42 degrees isn't chilly to you all) morning and they brought hot cocoa, breakfast burritos, and chips/salsa. It was the best.

Anyways ,I thought I'd share some of the parade horses with you all. The Budweiser Clydesdales were there! I was so happy to see much better horses at this parade than the one in Katy (my town) which is full of sickly horses with 100 lbs of junk on their faces and tie downs so tight that they draw blood. Most of these horses were very nicely turned out, healthy, and well behaved...ish xD kudos to their owners...I'd be terrified to take my horse to a parade this busy! It was really funny though... all of my friends know I'm 'the horsie expert' and constantly nudged me asking "WHAT KIND IS THAT ONE?!?!" I hated to let them down and tell them I really didn't know on half of the brown ones...haha

(these are all police horses)

The percheron is GORGOUS.

The Clydesdales. Those guys are HUUUGE in person...and rather frisky! haha. They make Kenzie look like a dwarf.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

These guys threw a tantrum at the corner. The front two were HOT HOT HOT today I guess, and kept half-rearing o.o thankfully the girl seemed to know what she was doing and settled them quickly.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Y'ALL! :D

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Beautiful horses. The paint with the gentleman riding it was GORGEOUS!! And the paints that were pulling the wells fargo cart were beautiful also.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Thank You Endiku - good pics.

Does anyone know what kind of saddle the police were using? Would they be a Tucker endurance type of saddle?

I also need to know where that big ol' appy is kept as I plan on kidnapping him.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Excellent pictures, love 'em! Don't you just love a parade?

Reactions: Celeste

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paintluver- isn't he?! He was totally chill during the parade too even though he was right behind a fire truck. And whats more...look closely. He's only being ridden in a rope halter, as is the brown next to him! O_O I'm impressed!

Chevaux- Thanks! Sorry about all of the heads in the pictures...its hard not to get them when you're only 4'11! LOL. Those sure are some comfy looking saddles.

RideEveryStride- I'd actually never seen these guys up close before. They are ENORMOUS! It makes all of the drafts that I've been around look puny. The two big guys in front had to have been pushing 18hh if not taller.

I have to be honest, after so many years of the Katy parade I'd sort have gotten bad vibes off of parades. Its fun to ride/drive in that one but I hated seeing the other animals and how they were treated. This parade though was absolutely FANTASTIC and there were some absolutely amazing marching bands, a 15' tall motorized HEB (grocery store chain) shopping cart, 'Pacho Claus', a dancing and singing jewish rabbi (best thing ever...haha), tiny motorized cars, a train with a bunch of disabled kids waving their hearts out, and my favorite, a bunch of motorized wheelchairs that had tank-type wheels which had a bunch of Houston's disabled war veterans cruising down the road!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing your awesome pictures 8D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts