The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my lovely appy that didn't fit my goals. It was the right decision for both of us.

Then I took a chance on an auction horse. Blurb that went with her was "well mannered under saddle" yeah right. I did all the groundwork and she aced it all. Found out in short order that she was spoiled under saddle and learned to buck people off. I can't ride a buck. I was pretty banged up. Bad bruising, whiplash, pulled muscles.one hip solid black with bruises. I got a good offer from someone who wanted to breed her so she's gone.

And now here I am. Looking for an athletic horse that's started under saddle, 15+hh, 4-10 years old, NO BUCK. Ive got lots ofmiles on green, reactive horses. I looked at a nice gelding but he was so shut off from people that I'm not sure what it would take to open him up. He had some serious trust connected issues that I'm not prepared to deal with. Another was supposedly 7 but teeth showed 11-12 years old. I just looked at one that sounded great, but was smaller than he looked in pictures and had a raised growth(1.5" across) on his side that they conveniently forgot to mention and others under his tail. He's 4.

So ARG! It's riding season and I can't ride! I've forgotten how much I hate horse shopping...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
483 Posts
The joys of finding what you want, only to find it wasn't what you wanted. It's a viscous cycle.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Same here, when I was horse shopping a few years ago I was all like ' I know exactly what I want.' Then when I went out and found a few horses that supposedly matched, they didn't. One was not a pony...I was looking for something about 14.2, this was a 15.3 horse, but his picture made him look short because he was so stocky. -_-

Another was a mare with only a head shot....the mare was a stallion, and a nasty one at that. I've no problem with handling a stallion, but badly behaved ones are a no-no on my list.

Oh and then the best was one with no picture but the seller said the horse was about 10 years old and ready to go into the show ring. I show up and it was about 200 pounds underweight and about 8 years older than they said. That one was reported to Animal Control as there was no food or water and two other skinny horses on a tiny mud filled dry-lot.

I do not miss the shopping part, I do miss the having a horse part.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I wish you were here, I have a really nice gelding I'd sell ya! But I do agree, I hate horse shopping (or shopping in general really).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Oh I feel your pain. Everybody says shopping is half the fun - they're liars. I feel like ripping my hair out every time I look at horses. I've had sellers actually try and critique my riding. One lady kept yelling "shorten your reins!" until my hands were halfway up the horse's neck...
A different couple claimed their horse was a well broke trail horse. I tried him in a round pen. The first thing he did when they walked him in was rear Black Stallion style.
Lol I wish somebody could do it for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts