The Horse Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Being from south Texas, yeehaw and y'all and such! I actually have a banjo :lol:

My boss and his wife were just talking about their guns, and how which one had more "oomph" but the other had more precision.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gigem
See, I started that thread with the words 'If only we could see ourselves as others see us' (as translated from the original) and I was referring to we English, who do get to be called some nasty names by lots of foreigners,

and now you have gone and proved my point. Incidentally,

Your close cousins were late by 3 years in WW1
and by 2 years in WW2
We at home were very pleased to see you, young, vibrant, good looking, well paid males - especially the ladies amongst us - but our soldiers away in battle were not quite so pleased.

In WW2, American soldiers were universally and, mostly affectionately, known as 'Yanks'. - as against 'Yankees'.

But you as an American read and misunderstood my words - which is how the English deliberately often 'mis' use the English language.
Anyway, my piece was directed at an Englishman, not an American be he Northern or Southern. We often talk about people 'behind their backs'.

PS What did you call my father when he was in Florida learning to fly? I have the suspicion that he too 'chased after bit of skirt'. He was always looking for 'totty' whenever he got the opportunity.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Barry, y'all didn't have planes over there 'cross the pond? Your poor dad had to come all the way to Florida to learn how to fly? That's brutally unfair. I hate Florida and avoid it at all costs, and I'm a Yank! :p

We Murricans had a heck of a lot of anti-war sentiment for both WWI and WWII. I'm not sure why we even got involved in the first one, since it wasn't fought on our soil. Just to be nice, mayhap? :wink:

There are all sorts of conspiracy theories concerning Roosevelt knowing about the attack on Pearl Harbor before it happened, since he supposedly wanted us involved in the war but Congress and the American people were against it. The only way to get us on board was to 'stage' an attack. I personally don't believe the theories, but Japan sure did kick start America into WWII by attacking our base in Hawaii.

So I guess you have the Japanese to thank for all the help from Yanks during that war.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Barry, y'all didn't have planes over there 'cross the pond? Your poor dad had to come all the way to Florida to learn how to fly?
I'll give you that Wilbur and Orville were to be credited but my father in law who just died a month ago served in the Royal Air Force over 25 years and worked on the Spitfire and the Mosquito both of which played a huge part in the horrendous air battles of WWII

I don't think he'd have agreed to any insinuation that the RAF went to the USA to learn to fly.... far from it!

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I don't think he'd have agreed to any insinuation that the RAF went to the USA to learn to fly.... far from it!
Then I'd say you need to take your indignation out on your own countryman, since it was he who stated his father came over here to learn how to fly. :wink:

My father flew B17s and B29s during WWII in the Pacific Theater. I don't think there were a lot of Brits doing that, but I could be mistaken. He got the Silver Star for valor, which was pretty impressive. It's the third highest combat military decoration in the US Armed Forces.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
In WW1 there is another about a ships being sunk by German U boats and the encouragement of Mexico by Germany for the invasion of the US.

In WW2 - yes Pearl Harbour but in the background Churchill had been very influential. He was a very persuasive man and had led us Brits into war twice. But it was only a question of time before you heard about the
concentration camps. Anyway you guys needed a cross Atlantic base for the cold war afterwards.

As for airplanes. Yes we sent most of our budding pilots to either the US or Canada for training. Dad went to both. But one wonders if you did the job right, a very high percentage of the pilots died. Dad was lucky - he fluffed his exams. But I don't know the full story. I just have a photo of a smartly uniformed cadet with a broad grin on his face.

It was either be a trainee pilot or a copper in standing on a roof top watching the bombs, then the rockets and finally the missiles fall down on London.

·
Banned
241 Posts
I'm not indignant and of course I saw who it was who made the insinuation.

As for airplanes. Yes we sent most of our budding pilots to either the US or Canada for training. Dad went to both. But one wonders if you did the job right, a very high percentage of the pilots died. Dad was lucky - he fluffed his exams. But I don't know the full story. I just have a photo of a smartly uniformed cadet with a broad grin on his face.

It was either be a trainee pilot or a copper in standing on a roof top watching the bombs, then the rockets and finally the missiles fall down on London.
Where on earth did you get that all from!?!

I'm thinking RAF history isn't your major subject. My father-in-law would be turning in his grave if her weren't cremated!

During WWII the RAF used 333 flying trainign schools. They trained over 88,000 air crew from Britain. Then there were contributions from others: Canada: 138,000, Australia: 27,000, South Africa: 25,000, Rhodesia: 10,000, New Zealand: 6,000

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
As for airplanes. Yes we sent most of our budding pilots to either the US or Canada for training. Dad went to both. But one wonders if you did the job right, a very high percentage of the pilots died.
I'd like to think it wasn't the fault of the trainers, but the trainees. After all, if you're given inferior material, you can only do so much with it.

As far as Brit pilots coming over here to train, I'm more in line with Hoopla. I've heard of plenty of Americans training with the RAF, but not so much Brits training with the Army Air Corps back in the day.

·
Banned
241 Posts
^ You're right and that's one of the main reasons there were so many "yanks" over here. They trained at bases over here with the RAF.

A heck of a lot of Americans crossed the border and joined the Canadian Air Force to train to fly and fight from there too.

Those brave volunteer American men formed the Eagle Squadrons

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The reason why the students travelled across the Atlantic was because there wasn't enough safe airspace for the students to learn to fly in. The training would have been given by RAF pilots who had been stood down from active duty. In sailing across the Atlantic the ships carrying the students were at risk of being sunk by U-Boats.

The reference to a high death toll, was more to do with the high losses sustained by Bomber Command during WW2 - not thru poor training - but because of the increasing competence by the German Ack Ack in shooting down planes. Statistically the new pilots had weeks to live, once classified as 'occupational'.

In effect I made a 'quip' - perhaps classifiable as sarcasm - even innuendo, maybe 'double entendre'. But it misfired as often this style of writing will do, if the humour is not shared. Not that there is anything humourus about WW2 or WW1 or indeed war at all.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Rosie, do be aware that it is very likely that tresspass laws in Canada will be significantly different than those of the UK. And also be aware that those laws will likely vary to some degree from one province to the next.
Oh, don't worry, I won't be pushing my luck by riding where I'm not invited! Round where I am now you're likely to be threatened with a shotgun if you stray off the bridleway. Which, by the way, I would never do because I am a very law-abiding type of girlie :D

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
In effect I made a 'quip' - perhaps classifiable as sarcasm - even innuendo, maybe 'double entendre'. But it misfired as often this style of writing will do, if the humour is not shared.
See, now you're making assumptions. I knew what you were doing, which is why I 'quipped' back at you about the trainers and trainees.

I presumed if I answered in kind you'd 'get it'. You didn't. So the humor barrier doesn't just go one way.

Sarcasm needs to be fairly broad in the written word, in my opinion. It can be difficult to understand intent unless it's spoken and one can see visual cues, and hear voice inflections.

·
Super Moderator
16,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
During the war my maternal Grandmother told me that she had two American Airmen stay with her for a coupe of months.
They had come over and joined the RAF before the US came into the war. One was a bomber pilot and the other a navigator and they had been shot down over either Holland or Belgium and finally got back to England via the Resistance. Both had been injured and were recuperating from their injuries.

Gran was an avid wine maker and these two discovered a cache of wines in the cellar. They were allowed to take what they wanted and they did! The parsnip wine evidently tasted rather like a good Scotch whisky which is what they were selling it as in Portsmouth. When they asked Gran to make more she said she couldn't because of rationing and no sugar. A couple of days later there was a hundredweight of sugar at the backdoor.
These lads could get anything it seemed, and the house and guests ate well. It was nothing for a leg of lamb or pork to be found in the cold store and no one ever admitted to how it got there!

Things must have gone a bit to far because the house was raided by the M.Ps. Not a thing was found that should not have been there. Gran knew what was going on but never realised just how much. These to had to report back and before they left they told Gran to go into the neighbours attic. They had been stashing their loot in the neighbours attic which involved putting a plank across the gap between the houses and crawling over the 15 feet, As the house was four stories there was a fair drop.

Both survived the war and returned to the USA and both kept in contact with Gran for many years.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts