The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you all might be interested to see this. I signed up for updates so I can see when the Kickstarter goes up. Interesting idea. My first thoughts are cost? How durable those locking clips will be under use? How secure this particular velcro is? Never the less, I love the idea. Love it. I hope they can pull it off and make it affordable.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
i saw this on facebook! its a very interesting concept! my issue is gunk getting in the Velcro or the durability of said Velcro. now if the made a glue on snap that it could snap into that may work.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like that newer hard plastic velcro stuff. I have seen som eof it and it is pretty tough looking. It seems it will have covers for when the shoe is not on also to keep it clean and intact, so I hope it can work. Id say the velcro attachments will have to be practically glued on.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I saw this on Facebook too and signed up for updates. It looks an amazing idea as long as the Velcro system works. I hope it's not prohibitively expensive!

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
i would try this! the biggest issue i had with boots is keeping them on or getting them on lol! might try it on my mare. after having the Ground control shoes on for almost a year then pulling her shoes her feet are mostly staying together. might be a good for a as needed sort of thing.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
I'm subscribing to this thread so I can keep up with updates. I'm not subscribing to the company for updates -- I will trust the pros to watch them and give opinions.

I would wonder how this product would hold up literally over the river, thru woods and climbing rocks. Could they stay together in an all day/all terrain ride and also not sore the horse up, in some way?

·
Administrator
35,695 Posts
Also subscribing as that is the sort of thing that I always had in my mind for using on horses that only needed shoes occasionally - maybe for several months of the summer etc for people like us (DH actually not me!!) who can do a good job of trimming but need a farrier for putting shoes on 'as and when' and to hold on to a decent farrier you really need to give them work all year around so we end up paying ours to do trimming that DH could do.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Thanks, for that , Trinity. I am certainly intrigued, and would try them on Smilie
Wonder how they would work in winter, as I would love to have something besides boots, that I could use when a Chinook melts all our snow, and then when the cold moves back in, she has to walk across hard frozen lumps of dirt and frozen poop, which her soles are just not ready for

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Similar idea to easycare's experimenting with the cuff which they have not come out with yet.....if ever.

Instead of using velcro, they use a cuff with T-nuts like the ones in the glove and glove powerstrap. Then the boot is attached to the cuff with screws.

Alignment of the holes and replacement of the cuffs after trimming was the biggest problem. Velcro should do away with the alignment problem and endure for more than one trim.

Ingenuity of the human mind!

There. I'm now subscribed.

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
Wow, that is a really cool idea. I haven't heard of that before! Wow.
I really like that idea. :) Subbing this too!!
I agree, I hope on trails and special footing it would hold up...and how much does it cost? So cool!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Maybe I'm just a pessimist and I would love to be proved wrong, but it is hard for me to believe that the clips would stand up to anything but leisurely rides on easy terrain. Any torque on the shoe from a hard stop or a fast turn or scaling steep terrain would, I imagine, break the clips right off and leave the shoe laying on the ground.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel like if the clips are tight enough and made from something quite strong, it could work. Maybe not for speed work and fast turning, but for your average rider, gaited horses, trail riding etc it could work. Id say over time, it will also improve as well as the bugs get ironed out. Rehabs would be alot easier where steel is not feasible and boots are a PITA. I do think there will be limitations to this.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I really hope this system works, I would use it.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Maybe I'm just a pessimist and I would love to be proved wrong, but it is hard for me to believe that the clips would stand up to anything but leisurely rides on easy terrain. Any torque on the shoe from a hard stop or a fast turn or scaling steep terrain would, I imagine, break the clips right off and leave the shoe laying on the ground.
Kinda what I think, and would not replace the steel shoes I use on my horses that are ridden in the mountains, and who have no hoof issues\
I see application in rehabilitation, that is a step up from hoof boots, far as allowing a horse to be barefoot where he can, and have hoof protection when needed
-no nailing on walls that are compromised
-none of the negatives of hoof boots, far as rubbing , turning, needing time out of boots to air out, ect
- no complicated preps to make a hoof ready for a glue on shoe, nor do you need to work with glue

Since I trim my own horses, this shoe would allow me to apply re rehabilitative hoof protection, easily, myself

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Another use I can see is horses that need some protection but aren't ridden enough to really use shoes.

Trixie has very thin soles and crappy frogs. She came to us with almost no frog because of thrush. She's getting better but is still pretty tender on hard ground.

She is my 5 year old niece's pony. She gets ridden maybe once a month by her, simply because my niece prefers loving on her and brushing her to riding.

If she was ridden more, I'd have her shoed but as little as she's used I can't see the expense. And as her hooves are improving I'd need to constantly rebuy boots as her toe is shortened

These would be a nice alternative.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Certainly looks interesting....wonder what the price point will be

1 - 20 of 103 Posts