Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's a NO on the round pen Dear!

Keep it coming Tobie! I think I could rescue you, if you behave for me. I have a round pen also!
For the love of horse HELP ME! She took me for a walk and introduced me to me to the neighbor IN THE ROAD!! We were gonna be run over, but I hauled her fat booty out of the way in the nick of time.
Ok, fine. I can't lie. I was in no danger of being run over. BUT have you seen those spreader trucks? Rusted hulking snorting smoking things! All I did was get excited and walk faster than her! She should have moved out of my way..Right? The neighbor called me a "Bad Boy!" I don't think she meant it as the cool usage.
I don't wanna move out just yet, but thanks for the offer. Do you think you could convince this crazy woman to let me run and play all day with the neighbors? Stalker Chick said I am in semi quarantine and can't go play with the neighbors horses yet! I smelled them on the wind. Gahhhh she is so mean!!
Oh and I don't do behave. What is behave? Stalker and Neighbor both told me I had to learn to behave too.... Nope don't wanna behave. Wanna be free! I heard them talking about that round pen thing and training. No round pen. No behave. No training. I am Tobie! I am the wind! :gallop: Look, cookies!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Day 9 November 7, 2016

I think we have made great progress on the feeding issue. He will stand patiently for a couple minutes now. I am waiting a little longer and a little longer. The sight of the scoop triggers head high, gotta eat, starving behavior. So, we are using the scoop. I walked around the pasture with the scoop and we took the scoop on our driveway walk. Scoop is no biggie now :)
I decided it is time to learn to lead correctly. Tobie has always had a nylon web halter on. We used a rope halter and it was a bit of an eye opener. He wants to walk me.... We are totally starting over. His concept of halter broke and mine are not even in the same galaxy.
In my infinite wisdom I decided to push the envelope a bit on leading. I need to know where the pull kicks in... does that make sense. TF said I set him up for failure. No, I set him up to my expectations. I don't want a horse I have to constantly fight to keep under simple control. He has no concept of how to walk without yanking my arm half out of socket. But he will soon. Did I mention I gave away my crop, Handy stick, and even the buggy whip I had for decoration. I guess we are gonna turn this lounge whip into a multi purpose tool.
A nice round pen might make this go faster, but I'll make do with what I have, myself and him LOL
We did start learning to drop his head. He is 16 hh and a bit. When he lifts his head I have no hope of reaching that high. So taking a halter off and on is an exercise in precision timing, handling, and smooth moves. I feel like it's an all out sneak attack. I want him to bring his head down and not do the dance while I halter him. On the list of first things.
I haven't had this experience in years.... It's been a while since I started a horse and I feel "rusty." Light bulb moments are frequent so I haven't lost hope that I still got this. While I am not a trainer, nor do I claim to be one, I have started horses since I was a young teen. I know I got this.
It took all of 2 days to teach Rascal that the halter is good. Tobie is so distracted by everything I'll be lucky if he gets this in 2 weeks LOL. Patience, repetition, and consistency will be our motto. For real, I am putting it on the fence beside his bucket and in the barn.
Tobie met one of our neighbors yesterday. We have a wide shoulder on one side of the road and light traffic after the work force and school children are on their way. So, we took a walk. Tobie does NOT like spreader trucks. I did a bit of grass skiing but all was well. Said neighbor got out of her car to meet him after the episode.
This is the same neighbor Rascal used to go visit her little appy. She expressed her sorrow about Rascal. We both had a good cry. She also let me know they are putting down new footing in their small arena/lg round pen soon. She said if I need it, just let her know. Nice neighbor :)
We kept a good distance away as Tobie hasn't finished his quarantine yet. Coggins pull was negative, but I wouldn't want someone taking chances with him, so I won't take chances with anyone else's. 3 weeks and we have a round pen and an arena (other neighbor) at our disposal. 3 weeks to learn to lead, give to pressure, and pay attention..... He can do this. So can I. :loveshower:

Maybe I need a goal sheet :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Day 10 November 8, 2016

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I swear he can bite the fastest of any horse I have ever seen!!

Usually it has been small nips. And this was, in a sense, the same. Yes he has been corrected each time he put his lips on me. Usually a short chop under the chin or a sharp nudge from the elbow. Sometimes a resounding whack to the chest. Depends on where I am and what I am doing.
I was grooming his face and forelock. Normal stuff. No warning from him......He bit the boobage. I wasn't planning on ever whacking his face like that. I know some times they will leave you no choice. Like earlier. So, the face got smacked with both hands! One came to the boobage he still had a hold of and got his muzzle the other his cheek. Then I chased him half way across the pasture. I was mad as hell. I don't usually lose my temper like that, but OMG that HURT!

On a positive note we walked the pasture earlier. He is stating to understand the leading BESIDE me and not dead on behind me. Or running over me. Progress of a sort.

Anyone want to chime in on a sure fire way to break a biter?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I don't know more than what you are already doing! My colt could be a biter at first, but after a couple times he decided that wasn't such a smart idea. Lol

My husband's filly is a biter too. Kinda spoiled like... I tried to wack her and missed, so she hasn't been stopped yet. Lo. Good luck.

Oh, and sorry about the boobage!

Reactions: Rascaholic

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
OUCH! I usually would do what you're doing, but if it's just small nips, I put a nail (hardware kind, not finger nail) between my fingers and stop the nip by jamming my fingers and nail in his lips whenever it comes for me.

I tell you, Tobie is a lot like my sisters' mustang gelding "Battle", (appropriately named mind you) that horse can bite and kick lightning fast!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Boobage is going to be ok Knave. :) Bruised but no "lasting" damage. Thanks for the sympathy!
I told DH and he laughed and laughed, until I went to shower.... He isn't happy much. He did that man thing, "He better think twice before he bites me like that!" I explained this is why I don't want everyone messing with him and handing out half a bag of treats. He has to learn to act like somebody, besides the tazmanian devil, before we go handing out treats like crazy.

GMA100 Tobie perplexes me. He can actually show you he has a brain one minute and then *poof* brain is on vacation. I know a lot of it is he is still young. Battle would be an apt name for him also. LMAO

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'm glad it's okay! What an ***. My husband says the same as you. One of my kids always picks treats when she wins an event gymkhana'ing or in 4H, and I've gotten in the habit of handing them out. When husband's filly tried to bite the first time he was like "NO TREATS ever! That's why she does this!" I had to laugh though because she'd only ever had one, so I think she bites because she's a... hmm... princess...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Day 11 November 12,2016

Not a lot happening the past few days. The wildfires north of us and all the smoke are keeping Tobie pretty freaked out. I've used the freak out time to reinforce "STAY OFF ME." Bruised heel where he stepped on it. This was my own fault for wearing sandals. I went out to check on him and give him a carrot. I couldn't resist a bit of- I lead, you walk beside me. *Note to self: Practice what you preach and wear shoes/boots NOT sandals!*
I bought him a Jolly Ball today. He spent 2 hours, til it was to dark to see him, pawing it and kicking it around the pasture. It's the one with the handle. He picked it up and dropped it, I hope he figures out he can throw it. If he never plays with it again it is the best $20 I have spent in a while. It was nice seeing him act like a horse and not so uptight.
He was perfectly focused on that ball. And he is AGILE, sure footed when it comes to kicking the ball and catching up with it to spin around and paw it some more.
OH, he was introduced to the sprinkler today. DH decided "poor Tobie" was in need of some green grass. We might still get a bit of growth before it gets cold and it goes totally dormant. Who knows? DH and Tobie both had fun with it. So again, it was money well spent.
Feeding transition is going ok, I think. Dh wants me to step it up and bring him off the allgrain/sweetfeed and concentrate on the Dumoor. While I agree it will be healthier in the long run, I ain't rushing transition time.
Free choice hay would be great, if he would actually go into the barn. He hates our barn. So, Dh has agreed to demo part of it and do what I wanted in the first place. It has to wait til spring, but ok. It works for dry storing hay until we can make the needed changes.
Until then Tobie is bedded down in shavings beside the old well house. It's cinder block walls so it is sturdy! He picked Rascals old stand by spot to bed down in. I think it has to do with blocking the wind. We're going to put up a temp shed roof and sides so at least he has a 3 sided run in.
We discussed laying down a sand bed and shavings on top of that, but IDK. Pros-cons of sand.... I guess I am gonna need to look in to that ASAP.
My cousin, who is responsible for helping bring Tobie into my life got to meet him Friday. He was on his best behavior. I let her give him the 2 apples she brought him. He took them politely and calmly. Ate them and let her pet on him. We took some pictures. Annnddddd he nipped her. :oops::hide:
We have also been working hard on the feet. He either pays hit bit of attention to getting his feet done, or he kicks when you go to do the back. You never know if he is gonna or not. Tomorrow instead of picking his feet twice I am gonna do the 4 or 5 times. They don't need that much attention, but he needs the practice. And I need to figure out WHY he kicks, so I can fix the issue.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Sounds like you've been doing pretty good, but hate to hear about the heel and boobage! They can be pains, lol

I know hitting the face isn't good under most circumstances, but I've actually found an open handed pop on the end of the nose to be one of the best deterrents to a biter. Had a friend's QH gelding reach around and grab the back of my arm while I was blanketing him. He got popped on the end of the muzzle (not hard because there's a lot of nerves there, which I guess is why it works) and then short tied so he couldn't do it again. Has worked for any horse that's ever tried to bite me and did not have any lasting negative effect. I do not advocate hitting horses in the face, but being mouthy and biting is the exception to that rule (when just pushing them away doesn't work or it's an open mouth, grabbing meat bite like Tobie did.)

I don't like to hit a horse but I will if I have to. (I also always go Ahh! (you know the noise, lol) when they do something wrong so they learn the sound as sort of a warning (works pretty good).

IME physically correcting them in the closest possible place to the offense works the best (ie biting:nose, kicking:shoulder/hip, etc.)

As far as the kicking when doing his feet have you tried running your hand down his leg more slowly? Above mentioned QH was a kicker whenever his hooves would be picked. I popped him on the neck or shoulder once or twice when his rider was doing it because she would jump away from him instead of making a correction. Then I went to clean his feet and made a conscious effort to slow down and not rush my hand down his leg. Never offered to kick one time, and she does the same, hasn't had problems since.

I'm enjoying reading this, and Tobie is a very good story writer, lol. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sounds like you've been doing pretty good, but hate to hear about the heel totally my own fault though. If I had been wearing shoes it would have slid on off and just been a training moment..and boobage! They can be pains, lol

I know hitting the face isn't good under most circumstances, but I've actually found an open handed pop on the end of the nose to be one of the best deterrents to a biter. Had a friend's QH gelding reach around and grab the back of my arm while I was blanketing him. He got popped on the end of the muzzle (not hard because there's a lot of nerves there, which I guess is why it works) and then short tied so he couldn't do it again. I've always been of the same mind. I don't want him head shy, but this biting has to stop also. Has worked for any horse that's ever tried to bite me and did not have any lasting negative effect. I do not advocate hitting horses in the face, but being mouthy and biting is the exception to that rule (when just pushing them away doesn't work or it's an open mouth, grabbing meat bite like Tobie did. Exactly)

I don't like to hit a horse but I will if I have to. (I also always go Ahh! (you know the noise, lol) when they do something wrong so they learn the sound as sort of a warning (works pretty good). Yep I most always give a warning unless it is kicking. Then there is no warning.

IME physically correcting them in the closest possible place to the offense works the best (ie biting:nose, kicking:shoulder/hip, etc.) I agree

As far as the kicking when doing his feet have you tried running your hand down his leg more slowly? This is in the plan for tomorrow! Above mentioned QH was a kicker whenever his hooves would be picked. I popped him on the neck or shoulder once or twice when his rider was doing it because she would jump away from him instead of making a correction. Then I went to clean his feet and made a conscious effort to slow down and not rush my hand down his leg. Never offered to kick one time, and she does the same, hasn't had problems since.

I'm enjoying reading this, and Tobie is a very good story writer, lol. Good luck!
There is a Tobie post coming up LOL It's fun and I swear if he could write, he would and he would sound just like this!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ummmm is Tobie OK? Lol I need an update!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sorry :D it's been a bit busy. Tobie is doing this :runpony: and kicking up his heels, literally.
He said he is stealing the laptop later today. So stay tuned!
:happydance::happydance::happydance: I love Tobies updates!!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hello Horse Forum! Tobie here again. I stole her laptop...and a bunch of other stuff RIPLMAO. Rolling In Pasture Laughing My A** Off btw.
Hope everyone, 2 and 4 legged, are doing well. It's been a busy time for The Primary and Secondary Stalkers. Works for me because PS hasn't made me do but about an hour or so training a day. I've had the weekends off. I like weekends. She warned me today to enjoy those days because soon I will be working 6 or 7 days every single week til Spring!!! This is abuse I tell you! Pure and simple.

I've gained a little bit of weight recently. PS thinks I need more exercise. Ummm no! I need more weekends. I need every day to be a weekend. Yeah, this would be good!! She's been making me yield to her puny human wishes. Again, she is abusing me. I don't want to move my booty as she puts it. But I do. SOME times she even tricks me into doing stuff!

I don't get quite so close to her anymore when I get scared. I did hide behind her earlier today though! Young Stupid Neighbor Dog almost ate my face off! For real! I was catching a nap, minding my own business, standing beside the fence, and ROOO ROOO ROOO ROOO RIGHT IN MY FACE!!! I pooped. I can't lie, he scared the sh...stuffing out of me. I almost broke a leg getting away from him.
I am learning to speak dog, but not there yet. I know he was LHAO at me. I don't know what he was yelling at me about. YSND better not bark in my face again. I pinned my ears back so far they disappeared. He better recognize, Man. He better know next time I catch him sleeping against the fence I am gonna kick him instead of joking around and kicking AT him.

He bites at my face and PS freaks out! Ummm helllllooo silly human, we play like that. She swears he ain't playing though. I'll kick him. I have almost gotten him through the fence a couple times! OMG It is Soooo much fun when you can make the chain link rattle and scare the poop out of "our dogs."

They like laying in the sun and I can run by, they just lift a head and look at me. Let me kick the fence and HA HA HA THEY COME UNGLUED!!! Bwahahahah Have mercy! Them is good times. PS yells at us for doing it, but I can't stop! I really don't want to. Lila, little black anklebiter dog, she is the most fun. She sleeps against the fence and I get to nip her and listen to her scream, then she bites the fence trying to get me. She got my nose ONCE. Just once, but you'd have thought she ripped my head off the way PS went ballistic. I'm telling you, it's hilarious around here now!! I am starting to like it here! Especially after TODAY!

Ok get this. I poop where I want. Doesn't matter, I can poop anywhere. AND SHE WILL PICK IT UP! Can you believe that? She made a poop pole behind my barn..... so I laid in it! It was warm and it felt good to roll in it. She freaked. HA HA HA "Tobie, get out of the sh** pile, NOW!" HA ha HA. I didn't. Nope nope nope, just couldn't do it!
I waited til she walked alllllll the way back there to chase me up. Then I walked off a few steps and pooped. She walked off muttering and shaking her head HA HA HA I win! I am Tobie! I am the WINNER!
She uses a wheel barrow to shuttle the poop. She walks all over picking the poop. I try to put it all over so her chunky booty gets some "exercise" like she wants me to. You're welcome Chunky Butt LOL. Any ways, she is picking the poop for the first time in 2 months, * I can't lie, it was 3 days* and I found out you can play "Tip the Poop!" Omg it is the most fun EVER! I waited til she was picking up poop a few feet away and grabbed the handle, CRASH. Just grab it with your teeth and lift. It will turn over! How cool is that? Sooooo I did it again. And again, And again! That last time might have been one too many. She threw her jacket at me and called me a son of a female dog! Isn't that mental abuse> My Mom was human...
Soooo that jacket she threw, yeah I took it! Sorry, not sorry at ALL. It was so much fun shaking it, running around with it and seeing it all come apart! Phone was in it, oops. Smokes. Gloves! I love gloves. So, I took one. And I ran. YES! I am Tobie, I am the wind!!! With a glove LOL.
Ughhhh, she tricked me! She put a cookie in her hand! cookie or glove....Duh, no brainer. COOKIE! Yeah, she swatted me with the glove when I tried to take it back. Soooo, I stole her pitchfork. It's just plastic and when you drag it, it makes cool noise. She was not amused. Do all humans use profanity when you take their stuff?
She fussed and fussed soooo, I took her rake! Rakes make a scary noise. So I let her take it back. I didn't like it, soooo I tipped the wheel barrow again. It makes a bigger crash when it's empty! I like it. She didn't. She packed up all her toys in it. She went to get me my ball to play with. FINE! So, I loved on her, and tipped it again. HA HA HA HAaaaaaaA!
It was epic!! She jumped up and down, made big arms and sent me "away." It was so worth it! She threw my ball and told me to tip that.... Huh? that makes no sense at all. I don't know that cure word she used. Must google it.
She took everything out of my pasture and went to eat a late lunch.. HEY I NEED LUNCH! She is letting me starve! I guess I'll go eat HAY and make some more poop. Maybe we can play tip the poop again! That would just be awesome. Talk to you folks again soon. She thinks we are gonna train some more after lunch HA HA HA I am going to take a nap! In the poop pile! Ohhhhh she said bad words when she looked out the window ROFL. I think I love her a little bit. We'll see how much when we're done training.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
AWW! Poor Tobie! It must be sooo disappointing to have her chase you off the poop pile, it's probably very fun to steal her stuff, though!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@GMA100 It would have made me really mad, but he kept sneaking up to do it. He'd drop his head and get a little grass then creep a couple steps closer. As soon as he tipped it the second time he took off LMAO

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Tobie reminds me of my gelding Steve- had to be in everything! His story made me laugh and miss my Stevie even more. Thanks for bringing back some fun (and truthfully frustrating memories) Gloves must be a gelding thing!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
@carshon Tobie loves to steal everything. Gloves rank as his top theft item though LOL He'll give them up for a cookie in a heart beat but look out if they are laid down or poking out a pocket. And you're welcome. :)
@PoptartShop It's fun trying to see it from his point of view. Lord knows he makes it easy enough with some of the expressions!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hello Horse Forum! Tobie here. It's been WAY to quiet here. It's been raining and the Primary Stalker has been taking it easy on me. I am spending most of my time in the barn where I have an unlimited amount of hay to eat and lay in. Did I mention I pawed about a 1/4 bale out to lay on? Well, I did! It was glorious! PS put me a bed of shavings down, but I kinda like mixing the good hay into it.

I am gloriously filthy right now :D I rolled in the mud with my blankey on, so she has had to take it to the car wash. She says it'll be dry by tomorrow.... Well it's still raining, I can just roll in the mud again LOL. She has threatened me with a "spare blankey." HA! I bet I can gross them up faster than she can wash and dry them! Any takers on this bet?

PS isn't so much worried about the cold, she says. She is more worried about my being blanketed last winter and then the cold rain now. She doesn't want me sick. I think she just wants to confine me!! I am Tobie! I am the wind! No blankey can hold me! Well, at least not for long.

OMG people, she keeps lifting my feet! Every single day! Clean the feet in the morning, clean the feet at lunch, clean the freaking feet again at night!! I haven't kicked at her in a while.....maybe it's time to try this again. She is gonna wash my feet and take pictures of them tomorrow! WTH why is she obsessed with feet? She has 2 of her very own!

The Farrier Lady will be out again this week. LMAO I wonder if I can try laying on her again. Maybe I can act like I am gonna kick her. It worked last time. I have a crack in my hoof on the front. I blame PS. Somehow it is always her fault. She keeps putting stuff on it. She says she doesn't want WLD or anything like that starting. Why do I care? She is making excuses I think. I think she has a hoof fetish honestly! Freaky Stalker may be her new name if she keeps being such a freak about EVERY LITTLE THING. Geesh.

PS doesn't allow me to lean on her, pull my hoof out of her hand, or even get jiggy with it! She's just mean I tell ya, MEAN. OMG and get this! I got cookies! A whole freaking handful! All I did was walk away from the gate and wait for her to come bring me food. When I was waiting she was standing at my dish and she tossed in cookies. On top of my food! How cool is that? I wanna know where she hid those cookies! I didn't see them, nor did I smell them. All I could smell was my food! Sweet sweet glorious food!

She is starving me though!! She went from feeding me 2 times a day, to 3 times.....BUT instead of adding MORE food she split my food into 3 batches! I could use another feeding, but don't take from my breakfast and dinner to make up a lunch! Just give me more food! Oh, oh! Get this sh** errr stuff. She said I have a hay belly! Umm hello, hay goes in the belly! I am supposed to have hay belly 24/7 right? Sheesh, you'd think I was getting fat the way she carries on.

Oh and you're not gonna believe this!! SHE SAT ON ME! All bare backed and everything! She climbed on me, then climbed off. She did this several times. I got a couple carrots out of the deal, so I didn't mind so much. Don't tell her this. She might not give me carrots next time. You'd think she was breaking the law sitting on me. She acted all weird. I heard her tell the Ancient One that she wasn't supposed to be doing this while no one was home. I may have to write the Secondary Stalker a letter LOL. She'd be in deep poo then!

Speaking of poo, WHY do humans want our poop? She keeps picking it up out of the pasture, the barn, and putting it in a flower bed. Do flowers sleep? And if so, do they like poop to sleep in? I hate to tell her this, but I can make enough poop to fill that biggo flower bed in no time. She told SS that she was gonna sell the poop!! HA HA HA crazy human. She mixed leaves and some wet hay ( I had to pee and it was raining!) into it and is now calling it compost? Um, it's still poop! Now it just has additives.

We've been doing a lot of leading work, as she calls it. She pokes the hell out of me sometimes!! Isn't that abuse? I quit biting her, what more does she want? Now I gotta walk CALMLY beside her ALL the time. I never get to push and play with her while on the lead! EVER! I gotta FOCUS! OMG I am a horse. I am Tobie, I don't gotta focus on nothing!! Ok, fine then! I gotta focus on what she wants me to do or she rips my face off! Ok, I can't lie. She doesn't rip my face off. She'll give a sharp tug on the torture thing she calls a rope halter. Now, I gotta give her this, she doesn't pull ANYWHERE near as much as she did at first! I only get an occasional tug since I figured out to keep my face off her head. Well mostly anyways HA HA HA.

LMAO it was a lot of fun to whack her in the pony tail with my biggo head. Did I tell you guys that I almost knocked her hair down?? No, well I did! I was so proud and all she could do was have a conniption fit. It was epic! I caught that bad boy just right and about ripped her hair out! She had to stop and put it back up. It was hanging all down in her face!

Serves her right for clipping a bridal path. She cut my MANE! She said it was so my halter fit better, I think she just wanted to get all happy with them scissors. Sooo, I returned the favor and tried pulling her a bridal path. *Shrugs* It worked for me LOL.

Don't tell her this, but my halter does lay better and is more comfortable without my mane tangling all in it. Ugh, she was right... BLECH I hate that phrase.

I don't get as many treats as OM gave me. And hardly any apples. She gives me carrots, and OMG those lovely mints. I like those. I just never know when I am gonna get them! You'd think she would give me more treats since she claims to love me. I only get them when she feels like i have done something EXTRA special. Um hello!! I am EXTRA special all the time! Doesn't she know I want treats just because! I should not have to work so hard for them! I just quit looking for cookies in her pockets. She NEVER has cookies in there! How do humans manage without a pocket full of cookies?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.