The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always skeptical when a horse movie comes out, I hope this one is good!
Robert Redford directed as he did the Horse Whisperer.

Here is the trailer:

And I seen this little clip today about the program here in NV which I think most people are familiar with and where @Knave got her horse Cash!

https://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/convict-cowboys

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
That does look good!!

I think about the program sometimes now. What a great idea! A horse teaches a person so much, and there is nothing to do but learn.

It was really neat to actually see the program. Everything was enthralling. The prisoners, the horses, the people in charge, the people bidding... one of these auctions we will have to go together; you really do need another ranch horse. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,644 Posts
There is a similar program here in WY.

I did a little work with a work release program for the state. Guys jokingly called working with the BLM horses as "Wyoming's death row." They had great stories about their first contacts with the horses. Seems most were urbanites and had no previous experience.

That alone makes the success of the program and the quality of the training more remarkable.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Bruce Dern does not seem like a horseman. I just don't connect him to the ol' leathery horsemen I've seen..

I read an interview in which Dern was asked, "What role in a movie he was most remember for." And Dern replied, " he was most remembered as the guy who killed John Wayne." ( movie The Cowboys.)

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
fun fact. my friend (the whistleblower for the South dakota failed sanctuary where almost 1k abused mustangs were rescued) recognized a few of the horses in this move. they are using some rescued ISPMB horses. i cant wait to watch it just for that. after seeing the horror they came from to go from starvation to stardom is amazing.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I'd like to see it, and I'd hope it was based on truth because the prison horse program is fascinating to me. I THINK they still do this at The Walls in McAlester, OK, and there's another prison elsewhere in Oklahoma that uses horses in their program as well (A friend of ours was a guest there for a 5 year period of time - his job was to ride horses daily with an armed guard and together they checked the fences around the 'farm' perimeter).

I do know this. I've had to quit looking at comments on horse related videos when these type of things roll up in my feed. So. Much. Ignorance.

I see why random people get a horse now and end up getting hurt - They think Heartland is a paragon of good horsemanship.

·
Super Moderator
9,644 Posts
fun fact. my friend (the whistleblower for the South dakota failed sanctuary where almost 1k abused mustangs were rescued) recognized a few of the horses in this move. they are using some rescued ISPMB horses. i cant wait to watch it just for that. after seeing the horror they came from to go from starvation to stardom is amazing.
Sorry glad to hear that at least some of them are having it good.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Mustang looks like a good movie. I'll want to go see it.

One pet peeve I have is how movie producers have the horses rear and whinny. I've dealt with lots of horses that rear and never heard a single one of them whinny as they are rearing. As far as I can tell, most horses rear when they are scared or mad and don't whinny: grunt and snort maybe, but in the movies, the whinny they put with the rear is a horse calling to a friend. Does this bother other people? Have any of you heard horses rear and whinny? Black Beauty was a good movie, but they put rear/whinny in there. Horse Whisperer was FULL of it. Yuck.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It looks nice. Redford has a good eye, and The Horse Whisperer was visually enthralling (for the small moments as well as the sweeping vistas).

Animal/human rehab programs (in prison, juvenile facilities, MH/substance use) do so much good for both parties. The hardest thing is in many states, when convicts are released, a felony conviction will prevent them from getting many (if not most) jobs in the field. 😞 It's rough to teach folks a practical trade and not give them the chance to practice it.

·
Super Moderator
9,644 Posts
Sorry glad to hear that at least some of them are having it good.
Good grief! Stupid smart phone.

I am *so* glad some of them are having a good life now.

I still pass that outfit on the way to visit relatives just a little east of there. The grass and trees are trashed. Lakota neighbors are glad she's gone and, always looking at nature long term, look for signs of the land healing itself.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Good grief! Stupid smart phone.

I am *so* glad some of them are having a good life now.

I still pass that outfit on the way to visit relatives just a little east of there. The grass and trees are trashed. Lakota neighbors are glad she's gone and, always looking at nature long term, look for signs of the land healing itself.
Good and bad she is gone. bad because she took her herd of almost 40 horses with her to who knows where. AND if she leaves county or state she is not restricted to 40 horses. SO she can start that sh*t show all over again. She is also fundraising and such for said horses... really wish they forced her to get therapy if she was aloud to keep any animals again. there is obviously something not right going on there.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@KigerQueen that's interesting they used those horses for the movie!

Movies with horses in it but not really about horses, I can usually look past the mistakes. Its tougher when watching movies about horses or a horse.
But I tried watching the series "Yellowstone" and had to quit because I was going to break my TV by throwing stuff at it..lol!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
@KigerQueen that's interesting they used those horses for the movie!

Movies with horses in it but not really about horses, I can usually look past the mistakes. Its tougher when watching movies about horses or a horse.
But I tried watching the series "Yellowstone" and had to quit because I was going to break my TV by throwing stuff at it..lol!
I've not watched that series yet, but I wondered if it was worth a poop when it came to the horsemanship in it. Then I saw some sappy video about some chick and this dude was telling her how her horse could feel 'all that' blahblahblah and i thought... ew.

I was watching something the other day... man what was it? Total blank now... and in the past I didn't notice this stuff, but... holy hell they were hanging on the reins, constantly in the horses' mouths, jerking the heads around, and generally being jerks to the horses. I thought, man if that was one of ours, you'd play hell if you rode them all up in the mouth, nagging like that.

Y'know? IIRC... there's an old thread here about Horsemanship in Film or something like that. It needs reviving, IMO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts