The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is Cody. I was hoping you guys could answer some questions for me.

Let me tell you about him first:

Cody lived his first two years in a cage. I'm assuming that meant he was used in a puppy mill.

A rescue took him in. Well the rescue went under. The lady tried to keep up with the dogs but she had too many. She couldn't find homes or rescues to take them and frankly I think she didn't really try. Someone came and saw the dogs and asked her for all the dogs (23). He has fostered all of them out. All of them have to be vetted, neutered and gain weight before they can find a home.

I stopped taking in foster dogs about a month before I had my last baby because it was just too much. My husband didn't want anymore fosters until we had bought a house. But A. I'm a softy and B. looks like it's going to take longer than expected to get a house. So I told the person I would take him and help him out.

Well the guy can't afford to get the 19 dogs that need spayed and neutered done. He is trying but it cost a lot of money. So I'm going to try and help him get this guy neutered. Hoping I can find a program that will do it low cost. We are on a tight budget.

My questions:

1. Is he silver and rust? I haven't really seen his coloring before. Almost Weimaranerish coloring....

2. Do you think he is a 1 or a 2 on the body scale? 1 being emaciated 2 being thin. I think he is 2 husband thinks he is 1.

I've dealt with thin dogs before (one even skinnier than this) but I'm never good at the score thing. He will be going to the vet next Friday.
dog weight chart - The Purina Body Condition System

3. Isn't he beautiful? (even though he is thin)

-Don't mind the bad quality in pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
aww what a shame that the rescue went under.
I want to say that he is a 1 on the body scale.. but thats just my opinion what what i can see in the pictures
He is stunning though.. alot of potential

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i think 2 or 3. hes not as bad as others

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a shame. But the rescue had him for over 6 months (by vet records). The rescue did that to him.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Usually with horses 1 means you can count every rib and count the vertebrae, so going off that I'd say a 2-3 as it appears he's not nearly that bad off. =)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Cody is a very handsome boy. His coloring is beautiful definitely has that Weimaraner color maybe a bit browner though. Do you know if he has any of that breed in him?

As for his body weight I would say either a two or a three. Very skinny dog, definitely needs some fat and muscle on him although I'm not sure if they would consider that emaciated at the vet.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can see his spine and count his ribs. But I don't think he is a 1..

His color is Fawn Rust or Isabella. He's all Doberman. Supposedly the rescue has his papers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wouldn't rate him a 1. I would rate him probably a 2. A one means that there is considerable loss of muscle mass and he doesn't look like he's had too much of that. He is beautiful though!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'd say 2-3 as well. If you want to see a true "1", tune in to Animal Cops on the telly once in a while. ):

I can't wait to see progress pics, he looks like a neat dog!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.