The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
To cute. Glad he got over his worry with the tarps. My gelding does the same thing with tarps, shade cloth, umbrellas everything is a toy to him.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is pretty cute, and a fun guy to work with. He always keeps me smiling.

I taught him how to pick things up and hand them to me, so now he constantly hands me everything. During these photos he was following me around the pen trying to hand it to me... What a spaz. Haha.

He has a huge personality. Lol.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Cute horse. First time I got my mare around a tarp, figured she'd get upset, nope had no problem with it, but it was only on the ground. Second time, on trail in MD, tarp on top of little camping trailer, blowing in the wind. Thought for sure she'd react, again nope, but she spooked at a log. She was also forever putting things in her mouth, couldn't leave anything near her stall. Cute that he keeps trying to hand you stuff. They have the most interesting quarks and personalities!

·
Banned
9,470 Posts
He is pretty cute, and a fun guy to work with. He always keeps me smiling.

I taught him how to pick things up and hand them to me, so now he constantly hands me everything. During these photos he was following me around the pen trying to hand it to me... What a spaz. Haha.

He has a huge personality. Lol.
What you think of as cute, would annoy me. I don't want a horse following me around, ever.

As this is not in the NH section, at what point in your horses life will your horse encounter a tarp? And isn't it better to just have your horse view you as a leader so the pig, steps, diesel truck, semi, whatever is ok, because you are the leader?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What you think of as cute, would annoy me. I don't want a horse following me around, ever.

As this is not in the NH section, at what point in your horses life will your horse encounter a tarp? And isn't it better to just have your horse view you as a leader so the pig, steps, diesel truck, semi, whatever is ok, because you are the leader?
Well good thing he isn't your horse. I personally don't care what YOU like. If I didn't want my horse to follow me I tell him to stay still. There is a command for everything I train. If I want him to hand me the tarp he'll hand me the tarp. The reason why he knows how to pick stuff up is if I ever drop something on a trail he will pick it up and hand it to me. Its quite useful.

I make learning experiences fun for him. If I want to play around while we revisit the tarp then what I'm goinh to do. They all learn differently and he responds well to my way of training, who honestly cares how I train my horse as long as it works. He doesn't take advantage and he knows his place with me.

As for when would he encounter tarps, we see them everytime we are on the ranch, this one decided to blow off a trailer and land literally on top of us. Did my horse spook, NOPE. He stood there, but i could feel his heart pounding so i stopped and we played around with it.

I am doing a great job with my horse. I would appreciate your feedback when I'm actually asking a question, not when I'm describing his personality and showing how much he liked a tarp.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to clarify that I'm not trying to be rude. Your post just came off as an attack on the way I interact with him.

This horse came from being in a stall his whole life, and whenever he had his feet done he would be sedated..
I got him with very very basic groundmanners. Literally walking on a lead was all he knew..
We've come a LONG way in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
adorable and awesome :)

i'm about to start with desensitizing of things like tarps and other 'scary' items with Eddie. it is nice to see others have such success with these sorts of things, gives me confidence that if other horses can be calm in the face of horse eating tarps and such, lol, my Eddie can too.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Try spreading the tarp out and scattering feed on it so the horse knows it's there. Remove the lead and step away and let him deal with it. Usually the horse is all over the tarp within about 5 minutes. Then try dragging it and see if he'll follow. Most will as long as it's leaving.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
adorable and awesome :)

i'm about to start with desensitizing of things like tarps and other 'scary' items with Eddie. it is nice to see others have such success with these sorts of things, gives me confidence that if other horses can be calm in the face of horse eating tarps and such, lol, my Eddie can too.
Good luck!! We've worked on it before but it's a whole different animal when it's blowing around in the wind. It's kind of hard to simulate that though...

Eddie will get it. :)

The ONLY thing he has trouble with is the clippers, and the fly spray. I can get his front legs now with the clippers but that's it so far. As for the fly spray, he's a lot better than before. I can get his whole left side right away, but he hates it on the right. I think we'll have it down next time we work on that. I usually do it once then come back to it another time.

We've conquered bathes though, he loves to hold the end of the hose. It almost looks like he is rinsing out his mouth. Very cute.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Try spreading the tarp out and scattering feed on it so the horse knows it's there. Remove the lead and step away and let him deal with it. Usually the horse is all over the tarp within about 5 minutes. Then try dragging it and see if he'll follow. Most will as long as it's leaving.
He is over it now. I made a tunnel(best description) and I was on one end, and he was on the other. If he wanted pets he would have to walk his front end in it to reach me. I can cover him nose to tail now. This was the smaller tarp, the one that actually came down on us was HUGE. it was covering a 3 horse trailer, the kind with living quarters for people in it. I thought for sure he'd bolt, but he just stood there heart pounding..

We ran across some deer on the trails a few weeks ago. The other two horses I was with spooked,but him, oh no...he wanted to meet them!!
He doesn't have much of a herd mentality when we are with other people. I'm glad he goes by the way I react to things. Lol.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^ I just replied you were not talking to me. Oops! The tunnel thing works pretty well if you put the time into it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hehe what a cutie pie! His whole face when he's holding the tarp seems to be asking " Am I doing it right? Am I?".

I like to vary up the training sessions, so I'm all for using objects like tarps etc. For me personally I might not encounter the tarps on a trail ride, but they are used as a foreign object that a horse might spook at because he doesn't know it. So I expect my horse to walk over it, have it on his back, etc- as a trust thing. I ask him to do it, so he does because I am the leader. So I know you weren't asking for opinions, but good job anyway :)

Out of curiosity, how did you train him to pick up stuff? And does he get grabby now about random objects or is he pretty good with the command?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hehe what a cutie pie! His whole face when he's holding the tarp seems to be asking " Am I doing it right? Am I?".

I like to vary up the training sessions, so I'm all for using objects like tarps etc. For me personally I might not encounter the tarps on a trail ride, but they are used as a foreign object that a horse might spook at because he doesn't know it. So I expect my horse to walk over it, have it on his back, etc- as a trust thing. I ask him to do it, so he does because I am the leader. So I know you weren't asking for opinions, but good job anyway :)

Out of curiosity, how did you train him to pick up stuff? And does he get grabby now about random objects or is he pretty good with the command?
When I acquired him he was VERY mouthy. He wouldn't bite people but he was constantly biting on his stall and grabbing anything that had a hard texture... (Ill touch back on this)

Anyway, I decided to use his mouthyness to my advantage. Whenever he grabbed something I would make a grabbing gesture and say "gimme, or give it here" and if he handed it to me I rewarded him. Once I got that down I started to set stuff down and point at it, make the gesture and say the commands. Now whenever I drop anything he will pick it up and hand it to me.
I do get problems if people leave ther crap on the ground, or grain buckets. He picks up grain buckets and hands them to you if he wants his grain.

So back to his mouthy issue, after about 2 days of this behavior he started smiling, and revealing the most hideous rotton tooth ever. I don't know how or when it happend, because it was NOT there when he had his PPE. So it happened during the month he was boarded at the breeder, or he hit it hard on the trailer during his transport. Poor guy...
He is no longer biting random hard objects and the cribbing stopped after the tooth came out. The vet said he was doing it to try and pull out his own tooth.

It was pretty gnarly. Haha

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Good job Apollo! While you may never experience an actual tarp on a trail (However, you may just do that....the ranches around here have tarps flying all over the place and sometimes they go adrift onto the preserve where the trails are), you may experience something similar.....flapping plastic bags, flags, old landscaping black tarp etc. We experience quite a bit of trash being right by the boarder of Tijuana. When it rains and the valley floods with water from Tijuana....there is everything imaginable that floats in. When we ride on the trails afterwards, the horses see and smell all kinds of frightful things. Or, if you want to do parades or something, there are all kinds of flappy things there!

While exposing a horse to a tarp doesn't solve all your spooky problems, it can be a huge milestone because it IS one of those really scary things for them.

I don't think a horse will ever be in this situation on a trail with having a tarp over it's head....However, we may go through a narrow canopy of trees or brush where it may feel claustophobic. This exercise in the picture below, I think, helps to teach the horse to rely on me for her eyes and stay calm during the process and not be claustophobic.

This day was a part of my 'parade' practice. We have a tarp, a flag and a jug trailering all over the place. This, I think, would help to teach a horse to go on and trust what I say, despite something flapping and something that is quite noisy following them.

Keep up the good work! :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.