The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a tub of bute for the old Black Horse today. It was $40 and they shipped it today so I should have it soon.

I came home from work today a little bit early. I think it was right at four o'clock. The old Black horse was standing under the overhang while Riley grazed in the pasture. I ran into the house to clean my sons bedroom and then put some laundry away. I sent my husband down to the barn to empty my 2 wheel barrels, the rain has been terrible lately. The paddocks are so soupy and muddy and my area around the barn is awful. Once he came back in the house I ran down to the barn to feed the horses, it was right around six o'clock by then.

I dragged the hose down the aisleway of the barn and walked through the middle stall out into the paddock. The horses weren't there but that was normal since the gate to the pasture was open. I dumped the water trough out and tossed the hose in. That's when I saw Riley standing in the center of the paddock next to a dark shadow. I knew what that shadow was the moment I saw it. It was my old Black Horse. I walked out into the paddock. Riley was licking Black's face and nose. He just kept licking him. I turned and ran to the house because once again, I'd forgotten my cell phone. I yelled upstairs to my husband that Black had died. He asked me, was I sure. Yeah. I was sure.

I ran back down to the barn and took a halter off the rack. I walked out to Riley who was still licking the old Black horse. I walked around him for a moment while Riley nudged his tummy and his back end. There were no signs of a struggle. He must have just dropped. I put Riley in Blacks stall and then ran back outside. I helped my husband put tow straps around the old boy, I stroked his face and his cheek. I scratched his soft ears and ran my hand down his neck. I said the only prayer I know by heart. It starts out with Our Heavenly Father... I hated seeing him like that and I couldnt stop the tears when we started preparing to move him. He was my horse, I was going to help. Once we got him ready I went back in the barn. I couldnt watch him lift him off the ground and carry him up to the hill with the tractor. It was too much.

He's up on the hill now wrapped in an old tarp. Tomorrow morning we'll bury him on the hill overlooking the barn. And tomorrow I will give thanks for that precious horse that gave me so much joy for all those years. His pain from arthritis and ringbone is no more. He's left his 30 year old body and is now soaring through the clouds.

I love you Black Horse. You ornery old fool. I love you.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
This totally just brought tears to my eyes... I'm very sorry for your loss. He was well loved, more than most, until the very end and I have no doubts he knew it.

*hugs*

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sorry for your loss farmpony. He was a nice looking horse. He lived a long and happy life.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. If I had any pictures of my dad's horse I'd post them, but we had to put down our horse Joe several years ago, he was a black morgan gelding, and was about 35 years old. Looked very similar to your guy. Sending good thoughts your way.

·
Super Moderator
26,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I wasn't surprised that I lost him, he was afterall, 30 years old. I was shocked at how fast it happened. I mean, at four o'clock he was under the overhang looking at me and then just two hours later he was gone. He was in the muddy paddock and there were no signs of struggle at all, like he never moved once he went down. His body was still warm when I found him and I think I must have missed seeing him collapse by minutes because he hadn't started pooping yet. By the time my husband came down, his body was dumping his waste.

My farrier said that there was an aged horse at Quantico not to long ago that did the same thing, started acting a little confused so the owners called the vet and that horse just dropped as well. They said it was a blood clot. My dad thinks it was a stroke. I don't know. I just know it was really sudden.

He is burried on the hill over looking the barn now. I pulled his halter off the rack so it won't get used. and I pulled his feed bucket too. His name tag is still on his stall. I can't take it down yet. I got his tub of bute in the mail today. And of course his brand new turtle neck blanket is still in the package. Poor old guy. At least he went fast. and I geuss It's good that I didn't have to make a decision. I had been dreading that...

I think I'll take his halter and get a really good picture of him (my dad has tons) and put it in a shadow box, maybe with his name tag and a blue ribbon that he had won at a local fun show... I think it was in pleasure... or was it musical bags?

·
Registered
987 Posts
That sounds nice. Maybe one day when that happens hopefully not anytime soon I will also make a shadow box for mine as well.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
wow i am so sorry for you loss but what a wonderful and long life he had!

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Black :cry: He lived a good long time and he gave you some wonderful memorys that you'll have for the rest of your life. He will live in your heart
The image of Riley standing and licking his friends face in the paddock brings tears to my eyes. He's leaving a big empy space in more than one life I think. :cry:
{{{Hugs}}} to you sweetie.

·
Super Moderator
26,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All of the horses are so somber right now. Blue called out a couple times yesterday, I think he was looking for him. And Pistol, who has been buddies with Black for a good 15 years has been so quiet. it's sureal. Riley looked around for a few minutes the next morning when I turned him out in the paddock. Alone. I think tomorrow I will give him Blue...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.