The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Who do they compete against. The black horse that is spinning is doing an awful job of it.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I wasn't going to comment on the dressage rider but I thought it looked awfull also. The rider was leaned way back and just looked floppy.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Where are the Parelli followers now? I would like to hear the other side of the argument.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
The thing that gets me is that PP could have picked any clip of him on any horse doing any discipline and what you see on the video is the best he could do. If it was Clinton Anderson he would be doing a reining pattern and he would be doing it well. Same goes for Stacy Westfall. I have at least two horses in my corral right now that I haven't ridden in two months that could do as well as PP did in those videos.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I had to watch Sailing Smart twice. That's a hell of a horse.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I still can't figure out who they are competing against. Do they just go to shows in the Parreli rig and show against everybody els or is there some circuit they are trying to start? The thing I have to take into consideration is that the video shows several people for maybe 20-30 seconds each. A dressage test is 4-5 minutes at least and the western riders had 15 minutes of video to edit down into a 30 second clip showing thier riding in the best light and what you see is the best they did. You can't really say "well that wasn't the best run that day" because they picked that run on that day to highlight thier talent. We all have had times when things didn't go just how we planned and if they were taped you wouldn't want the world to see them but there are also times when you do something just right. I tend to think that these people looked at the clips and said "yeah, that's what I like right there".

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I actually love parelli trained horses. Once you understand the way they were trained and work with it they are amazing horses to work with. Chance/Little are parelli trained and they are 1000000x easier to work with/handle then the show horse im helping excersize for a boarder. So I asked if I could do the 7 games with him for a bit and hes already a little easier to work with on teh ground.
Are you really trying to say that the horse that you wanted to sell because she was hard to control and by your own admission "dangerous" is a million times easier to handle than a horse that is being shown? I think you need to reread some of the threads you have posted in the past. I don't believe for a minute that you started this thread as a critique of PP. I think you thought that what you were seeing was terrific horsemanship untill so many others started critisizing it. I don't want to attack you but I think you need to take some lessons from an experienced horseman other than who you have been before you train or ride anyone else's horses. You are inexperienced and need more (or better) instruction than what you have been getting.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I think that makes it nearly unanimous. I wish this had been a poll.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I really didn't mind the video. What I saw was a great big horse that had been walking all over people since he had been halter broke and was paying attention to everything but the person on the end of the leadrope. I would have done something similar to get his attention. Every time he takes his eyes off her she pops that lead a little untill he brings his attention back to her. When he tries to walk over her she gets big and puts more energy in the rope and disengages his hindquarters. When he tries to leave her she lets him go a few steps and jerks his head around. That was not some yearling out of the back pasture that had never led before. That horse looked like he was somewhere north of 17 hands and had walk all over people for years. The people that abused this horse were the people that have been handling him and letting him get that disrespectful in his behaviour.

I think she stayed pretty calm and did just as much as she needed to get the required response. I try not to get so caught up in critisizing someone that I can't see the good things they are doing. This is a good example of that. She was trying to fix a horse that was a hazard if not outright dangerous to handle on the ground. I may not agree with most of what the P's do but this was no game it was taking the steps to get something fixed.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I would have taken more time to do it and not been so rough but there are a couple of things to consider about this video. First, the video was 5 minutes pieced together over what was probably an hour so there may have been things done that we don't see or times when she let the horse stand and relax. Second, the horse would not be led without walking into and over whoever was leading him and at the end he was considerably more respectful. So while the techniques may not set well with some of you (I don't totally agree with it) it is hard to argue that the horse didn't get better in the time she was working him. I don't know who put the video together but they could have done a better job of showing it in a more positive light. Perhaps the person that posted this did not want it in a more positive light.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
She actually looked very angry when horse didn't listen to her. I've seen local NH trainers working with more difficult horses, and they looked way more calm (and efficient) then her. Also I havn't seen the reward (pressure release) for doing something right.

If you look at the video closely she gives a release every time he puts two eyes on her. It just doesn't happen for very long at first. They only get the release when they are doing something right. He stares off at something else and she bumps him with the lead and then he puts his attention on her and she quits, then his eyes wander off and he gets bumped again. I don't see how everybody is missing it. She is really aggressive because he is really disrespectful. Most horses are not that bad which is why most trainers don't have to do that.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Now that you've put your 2 cents in... I went back and rewatched. I see what you are saying and now it makes more sence. Is that the way you would have handled it? Also, a few threads ago you mentioned a book that I should look into regarding ground manners. What was the name of that book again?
I would have had the luxury of taking more time and not having to do it all the same day but that is the general idea of what I would have done. I think the book I mentioned was True Horsemanship through Feel by Bill Dorrance and Leslie Desmond. That book has a little different take on the way to fix a problem like the horse in the video but not by alot. Bill states that he doesn't like to jerk on a horse because the pressure is not consistent and the horse doesn't understand it as well but he wouldn't neccfessarily do it any gentler. I just finished reading it and I am now working through it again and trying to understand it a little better. Right now however I would handle it the same way that Linda did and the job would still get done. I might have used a saddle horse to help me push the other around a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.