The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Parelli team using bits? What a shame! :lol:

A question to dressage people (no sarcasm, just curious). Are you suppose to ride with pointed out toes in dressage kicking horse non-stop? I always thought the legs should be quiet for the most time unless you give a cue, but I took couple lessons from dressage (hm-hm) trainer, and she was keep saying I have to kick horse non-stop in dressage. I stopped taking lessons with her for number of reasons (kicking was one of them plus some other).

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Where are the Parelli followers now? I would like to hear the other side of the argument.
It's not the end of the day yet. Just be patient!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
FYI, the first rider, Lauren, is paralyzed from the waist down.
She deserves a BIG credit for that. Seriously. I'm always amazed with handicapped people still doing sport they love.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
His mustache certainly should...
:lol:

Now, I don't think NH is all about PP. And critisizing PP is NEARLY not the same as critisizing NH. There are so many other NH trainers out there who are really amazing and with real achievements (Stacy Westfall was already mentioned here).

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
My opinion is that most of those people he's 'helping?', probably shouldn't have a horse in the first place.
Actually that's a pretty rough statement. While I don't like PP program and very much dislike his promotions (and hate when someone says Parelli program is the only way to go and works for any horse), some people love it and it works for them. I don't see anything wrong with it. In the end some people want to have a horse doing tricks rather then 4th level dressage horse or jumper. It's a matter of choice one has to respect.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Well, let me make it even rougher then...while I specified those people 'he's' helping, (because that is the prime topic of this thread) I was actually thinking on a much broader basis involving all 'those types' of gurus? who mass teach in 30/60 minute clinics 'that you too can play games, break your horse to saddle, join up, et al'...most of the people who follow them, should not own a horse.
Do you mean any 60 mins clinic is useless and people going there just shouldn't own the horse?? I apologies if I misunderstood you of course. I go to the Expo demonstrations (which are generally 60 mins only) and while some clinics are waste of time, some are very useful and give you good ideas where to start.

I've been at Craig Cameron clinic last Fri about how to start a horse on cows. No cows of course (and c'mon, we almost don't have them for cutting or cow working here in MD), but it was very clear AND it's something I (and I'd think lost of people sitting there) can do with my horse to start. Will she be ever a cutting champion? Of course, not, I don't even hold my breath, but if I find a place to try real cows she'll at least will be somewhat prepared. Same with the demonstration by Stacy Westfall. Lots of talk about horse's personalities (and that's a hyper horse will behave differently from nice quiet one) and where to start with the ground work for the fresh horse.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Nope, not in the least.
What can I say... Then all people I know (including top jumping trainers and some dressage trainers in my area) should not own any (or train any I guess). :? They are probably too dumb to waste their time on those useless 60 mins clinics...

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
What?

You asked: Do you mean any 60 minute clinic is useless and people going there shouldn't own the horse?

I answered: Nope, not in the least. As in, no I do not mean that any 60 minute clinic is useless, blah, blah, blah.
Sorry, I certainly misunderstood you then! :) I heard before (NOT in this thread) some people saying watching those clinics is complete waste of time.

IMO even a short clinic can teach me something. Whether it's western, english or horsemanship. Now I mean the clinic with the great trainer with accomplishments of course (and who CAN teach). I even go sometime to the other (more experienced) people lessons with my instructor just to stand there and watch how they work.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Anyone with the cajones to charge over a thousand dollars for a pair of breeches just because SHE wore them......
Where this rumor came from? I never heard about it before. Was it on their website? :shock:

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Wanted to post this. This is apparently Linda Parelli, it's from one of her seven games DVDs. Can anybody guess what is trying to be taught?
Click Here

Give up? They're trying to teach him to back up.
That's the most impatient and angry trainer I've ever seen. :-(

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I think she stayed pretty calm and did just as much as she needed to get the required response.
She actually looked very angry when horse didn't listen to her. I've seen local NH trainers working with more difficult horses, and they looked way more calm (and efficient) then her. Also I havn't seen the reward (pressure release) for doing something right.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I have met one person in my life that does NH that does not think horse training is all butterflies and rainbows. All the rest get upset and scream 'you are cruel' if you even yank on the lead of your horse wearing a flat nylon halter with a cotton lead. I really do not understand how they can see their leader type doing something like this and then be all butterflies and rainbows. Are they just ignoring this type of stuff?
Actually I disagree with that. I used 3 NH (2 John Lyons, one CA methods) trainers on my horse and they had no problem to use the stick when needed or to yank on lead if needed. BUT it was just one yank. May be 2. And that was enough for the horse to figure out it's not pleasant. Same with stick. Let the horse run into it couple times and that's enough. May be I am just lucky, but most people I met were reasonable and not call everything cruel. :) However if someone would keep yanking on my horse like lady in this video I'd just ask her to leave my barn. Because THAT was very far from what's called training.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Kitten Val maybe that is where the difference is. The one I know that is reasonable is a trainer. He uses a bunch of various NH trainer techniques, does not follow one guru.
All the other NH people I have encountered (the people who insist those that do NH are nice and never tell their horse to do anything, they ask, etc) are all NH users, not trainers. They aspire to train their own horse using the techniques on the DVDs but....

I just do not understand how they can see something like that and think butterflies and rainbows.
Ha-ha! I see what you mean. That very well could be true. I don't know too many NH followers around, most people I know are either eventing or trail riding and don't care much about NH and such.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
She is really aggressive because he is really disrespectful. Most horses are not that bad which is why most trainers don't have to do that.
I have to disagree. I've seen much worse horses and still the trainers were calm and deal with it with less efforts. I've seen it in person with local trainers, at the Expo, and on videos of other trainers. I think JDI put it much better then me about slamming, timing, and so on. You have to be strict with the horses like this one but the whole "training" just doesn't look right. Sorry.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
This is what I have always done. If I need the horse out of my space or what have you that requires that I get physical with them I use the end of the lead and smack them in the shoulder. Even if they try and bit I never hit the horse in the head or face. I have found it works just as well to hit their shoulder as it dose their face. I also find that if a horse is in my space and I want them out of it. I put pressure on them by hitting them in the shoulder with the lead and walking towards them and use a very stern voice. Do this once or twice and all you need is the stern voice most of the time. Having handled a lot of stallions I pick my badles carfully and I never loose.
How many times you need to do it to teach them to respect your space? 10 mins of repeating it 20 times? This horse should be extremely dumb then. Usually one or 2 slaps or rope smack on butt is enough for horse to learn the lesson.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.