The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I knew that, about the first rider, But thats no excuse for what her hands are doing...

My uncles totally paralized on one side.. but he can use his other side perfectly fine. So I dont see it as much of an excuse.. but idk just MHO.

I just REALLY wasnt impressed by this video :\ Its good that they were having fun but idk still not the type of performance I was hoping to see.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
FYI, the first rider, Lauren, is paralyzed from the waist down.
Thank you. I saw the name and immediately recognized her. Her horse is fantastic! She's a great rider for her disabilities.
Lauren Barwick Pictures - Paralympics Day 4 - Equestrian - Zimbio
http://www.ridingforgold.com/intro.html

She uses the whips (you can see the two of them) in place of leg aids... I would imagine that the use whips for their rein and leg aids is difficult.
While I agree the video wasn't great, I'm actually a little bit disappointed with this thread... and you all know I am not a fan of Parelli.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I simply said I was disappointed with there performance in this video. I was excited when I saw the video was out and I think I expected to much.

But Like I said I give her credit for doing something she loves even with her disablity :) Shes got a lot of guts. I actually didnt know about the whips at all so I take what I said back :)

·
Banned
5,526 Posts

That may be and good for them trying but I have seen riders at the para olympics just as disabled riding much much better.

·
Registered
251 Posts
While I understand that the first rider is paralyzed from the waist down and I fully understand the disadvantage she has I still don't understand why the dressage horses look so heavy and not moving off their hind end better.
I give Lauren props for even attempting to ride, let alone doing as well as she does...

...but that wasn't my concern; Pat Parelli's horrible riding is! I mean, he is the professional, and imo he was the worst.

edit to add: I did not know Lauren was paralyzed btw :oops: I must say I'm sure this is not the best video to judge her skills or her horse on...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm not a Parelli fan, I'm going to say that right from the start. I gave Parelli's methods a fair trial and have decided that it's not for me or my horses and I have found it to not be the most effective. There is a lot I don't agree with with Parelli.

With that said, I am kind of disappointed with this thread post. I hate it when I see everyone jumping on the "lets-criticize-Parelli" bandwagon. Because it could just as easily be the "lets-criticize-Anderson" bandwagon or any other trainer! Different methods work for different riders and different horses. It all depends on what you want to get out of the experience. I admit that those performances made me cringe, but at least they were getting out there and trying to show and not waving their carrot sticks at non-Parelli's and telling them to rid the bits and spurs.

I'm just saying, we could point fingers for the rest of our lives. In the meantime, I've got horses to train. See ya.

Jubilee

·
Registered
251 Posts
Different methods work for different riders and different horses.
I agree, and whatever gets you out there and riding is awsome...

but I'm not bashing the method, I'm bashing his riding in that video... oh and the picnic table jumping haha :lol: but that was just for kicks and giggles.

btw I used to be a Parelli crazy kid. In fact I was a Natural Horsemanship crazy kid, a part of me still is. I use my rope halter, I do a lot of ground work to prepare my horse for riding and I like to do it to warm up in the cold before a ride too!

I actually lost most of my respect for these trainers becuase a) they almost all say you can only use one method with your horse and thats a bunch of bull and b) people idolize them which is wrong. But it just doesn't help that they are sitting there acting all that signing autographs.... claiming to be the best.

Take what you can from everyone you meet, and leave what you can't use or what you find does not fit your morals.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know that you were just sharing, this was not meant to be a flame fest. SO I'm not getting after you at all. Just saying people need to think more before posting. There are a lot of Parelli fans on here. I may not be a fan of Parelli, but I'm not against him or his methods either. It's just not my tea. I personally think that it all boils down to style and personality, because face it, almost all Natural Horsemanship methods are the same, it's just about who you like to have teach it to you.

Jubilee

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I'm not a Parelli fan, I'm going to say that right from the start. I gave Parelli's methods a fair trial and have decided that it's not for me or my horses and I have found it to not be the most effective. There is a lot I don't agree with with Parelli.

With that said, I am kind of disappointed with this thread post. I hate it when I see everyone jumping on the "lets-criticize-Parelli" bandwagon. Because it could just as easily be the "lets-criticize-Anderson" bandwagon or any other trainer! Different methods work for different riders and different horses. It all depends on what you want to get out of the experience. I admit that those performances made me cringe, but at least they were getting out there and trying to show and not waving their carrot sticks at non-Parelli's and telling them to rid the bits and spurs.

I'm just saying, we could point fingers for the rest of our lives. In the meantime, I've got horses to train. See ya.

Jubilee
The thing is that THEY put this out there as an example of what Parelli dose. The video is basically a look at me and how good we are. It even says something like that in the description on Youtube. This is a person (Parelli) who is making money as a trainer selling his goods. So YES I expect him to bet better then that.

It would be like me sending my horse to a trainer paying him money to train and then seeing this as an end results. I would be saying the same thing and pointing it out.

Trainers people like Parelli who take your money in extange for a product needs to prove they can do it. Look at Stacy Westfall. She has proven she can do what she is training for and selling her videos showing how she dose it. In then end what she dose works. She has proof. Now maybe not work for every person who tries it as I am a firm beleiver that there is no substitue for a good trainer. However they need to put their money where their mouth is and from that video and others I have seen of Parelli all I see is a person who is really good at selling stuff. He would make a great used car saleman.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I will add that the riding/horses I did see in that video is still turning me away from the riding side of parelli. Ive never been a fan of the riding part to start with but I once Chance came out of her little vacation I was gonna give it a go. This video turned me away. I love the ground work.. wont go for the riding. AT LEAST not intill my horse is better trained with traditional type methods.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I will add that the riding/horses I did see in that video is still turning me away from the riding side of parelli. Ive never been a fan of the riding part to start with but I once Chance came out of her little vacation I was gonna give it a go. This video turned me away. I love the ground work.. wont go for the riding. AT LEAST not intill my horse is better trained with traditional type methods.
I think you are on the correct path. I am not at all a big fan if the games they play with Parelli. I am a fan of NH. I use it all the time. It is more a way to communicate and if you can do that and know what that is for the horse you are more then 1/2 way there.

My problem is that there are so many ways to things and by saying I must do these games and I must get to some point before I can on. That is one of the big problems I have.

In the end good training is good training and once you have it you have it. At that point I have yet to find a horse who will not be a willing partner once you are willing to lead.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
She deserves a BIG credit for that. Seriously. I'm always amazed with handicapped people still doing sport they love.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I think keeping my self open to other trainers and methods has really helped with the way I work with horses. I actually got some NICE comments from a few people today. My BO has seen what ive done with the horse im training for a friend, and even with my own personal horse. She gave me some awesome compliments on saying how beautifly they are going, and how they dont look like the same horse. She said its amazing I can do such thigns with horses at this age. Which that ment ALOT. So keeping an open mind and just reading and listening to what the horse tells you will get you to where you need to be.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
The thing that gets me is that PP could have picked any clip of him on any horse doing any discipline and what you see on the video is the best he could do. If it was Clinton Anderson he would be doing a reining pattern and he would be doing it well. Same goes for Stacy Westfall. I have at least two horses in my corral right now that I haven't ridden in two months that could do as well as PP did in those videos.

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
She deserves a BIG credit for that. Seriously. I'm always amazed with handicapped people still doing sport they love.

They all do.

I saw one rider at the paraolympics that rode WITH NO LEGS. It was a few olympics ago and they sat up straight as a dye (no leaning back and had quite quiet hands also) and she also rode with a single bridle so didn't have the advantage of the double that the rider in the video had. Can't remember her name but shows you what can really be accomplished.

41 - 60 of 189 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.