61 - 80 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Yup...

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Funny thing is this one is not better then the other. You would think that if you are going to change it out you would put up a better one.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I had to watch Sailing Smart twice. That's a hell of a horse.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Oh for goodness sakes, the dressage rider is Lauren Barwick who is paralyzed and who is also a GOLD MEDAL winner in the Olympics. She did her Gold Medal winning Freestyle Dressage routine at the Celebration last year and it was gorgeous!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
As for Caton's ride on Mango, (Caton is Pat's son) he had a stroke when he was very young and still has issues with his one side, but the doctors had told Pat he would never ride again, but look at him now. Pretty impressive I'd say....I've loved seeing Caton improve over the years.

Emily Thompson, daughter of Dan and Gretchen Thompson (Parelli Professionals) and Porche are an amazing team. I love watching them at tour events, their relationship is exceptional. She's only 21 or 22 years old.

I'm excited for the future of the Parelli Competition Team. I think people will always jump at the chance to criticize something about Parelli, and that's sad. Don't really know why the OP posted this in the first place if she was dissapointed in what she saw....makes me wonder....

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Those are some nice excuses/reason why some on that video looked so bad.

So now what is Pats excuse????? He was one of those in that video and he looked worse them most of the others. Even the training looked like it was incomplete. I can understand that if the rider was a Green reiner but this is the great Pat Parelli.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Even those spins where not correct and he is pulling her around in the turns. She is in a bridle not a snaffle. Cue the horse drop your hands and let the horse work. Also slow the spin DOWN and get it correct. It is NOT about the speed it is about being correct and that was not. Sorry one of my pet peeves when people think they are doing reining. I am sure Dressage people feel the same.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The thing is that too many people are impressed by all the parlor tricks that he dose and most have never seen a true reining horse or Dressage horse so that looks good to them. They do not see the little things that are wrong they only see a horse spinning fast. I see that a lot. People think it is all about the speed.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
wow. even my inexperienced reiner and dressage eyes knew that was really bad........ the spins were all over and only 1 person good do a sliding stop -barely-

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
So this is his version of horsemanship, that we "lesser mortals" are supposed to aspire to?

Eek. . .circus tricks and lots of hauling on the mouth. . .no thanks.

That is not a piaffe but a horse mincing its steps. There is no lowering of the croup or lifting of the front. The hind end steps are not even under the horse's body.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Those are some nice excuses/reason why some on that video looked so bad.

So now what is Pats excuse????? He was one of those in that video and he looked worse them most of the others. Even the training looked like it was incomplete. I can understand that if the rider was a Green reiner but this is the great Pat Parelli.
I would like to point out that I wouldn't call them 'excuses' per se, that sounds like a cop-out. What I really didn't like in this thread is the bashing of other riders in that video; the ones that are simply following a program that they think is working for them. We don't know their history whatsoever. I don't think it's fair to criticize the riders in that video; they aren't the ones going off about how great and versatile their program is.
I KNOW I have videos that show my riding in not the best of light - but I took away from those experiences and learned. I have videos from when I was a young, inexperienced rider working with a trainer who went against the grain on certain things, and I learned a great deal. The videos make me cringe, but I learned from the experience.

Pat... he has none. He's claiming to be this big-name trainer that can win in all disciplines, and let's be honest - to say the absolute least, his spins are atrocious.
No, Pat... he's fair game. If he's arrogant enough to say that his program works for all horses, all disciplines, all riders, he's fair game for criticism.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts

No, Pat... he's fair game. If he's arrogant enough to say that his program works for all horses, all disciplines, all riders, he's fair game.
fair game? *evil grin* hehehe.............. get the manure forks! :)
jk

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Im actually starting to see how a lot of what he teaches the horses have no quality.. the Piaffe... spins... and even the jump is somewhat dangerous because he doesnt take the time to teach the horse to do it correct... I mean its good there having fun with the horses.

Kelly sigler.. a 3 star instructor is actually taking lessons outside parelli to teach her horse to work correctly over jumps etc.! I was very happy to see that. I think if you just stick to parelli and not venture out your not gonna get to far.. its a great foundation.. thats it.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts

I would like to point out that I wouldn't call them 'excuses' per se, that sounds like a cop-out. What I really didn't like in this thread is the bashing of other riders in that video; the ones that are simply following a program that they think is working for them. We don't know their history whatsoever. I don't think it's fair to criticize the riders in that video; they aren't the ones going off about how great and versatile their program is.
I KNOW I have videos that show my riding in not the best of light - but I took away from those experiences and learned. I have videos from when I was a young, inexperienced rider working with a trainer who went against the grain on certain things, and I learned a great deal. The videos make me cringe, but I learned from the experience.

Pat... he has none. He's claiming to be this big-name trainer that can win in all disciplines, and let's be honest - to say the absolute least, his spins are atrocious.
No, Pat... he's fair game. If he's arrogant enough to say that his program works for all horses, all disciplines, all riders, he's fair game for criticism.
I will agree that we do not know a lot about the other riders. From the sound so it there are things going on that I will say it is nice they are even riding.

I will also agree that we all have those type of videos of our riding. I am no exception. However I do not put them out there in a light to show that THIS IS A GREAT program. If this was a video showing these people showing and that was it. Then fine I agree bashing should be out.

However ALL these riders no matter what their story is part of the Parelli competition team. This is a promotional video for PP system and how it works. So in that light each rider is fair game. I will say that the second horse doing spins the buckskin which from what I under stand is PP son?? Who is disabled?? His spins are more correct then his dads. Still need work but at least they are MORE CORRECT which is where the score starts.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I mean its good there having fun with the horses.
To me this is what PP is and all he and his system should be. No more no less. I will agree that SOME horses enjoy playing the games and it is a nice way to "have fun" with a horse. Past that if you do not go on like what you are saying it gets dangerous and you do not get the quality and a lot of people do not get the control they need b/c it is all about fun and what is fun for a horse may not be fun for a human in the end.

61 - 80 of 189 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.