The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Oh I am going to have to go watch the second video they put out, I did know they had changed it. That stinks. Just shows they know but will not admit it.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
No he is still on that one. Still really bad too. Oh well. I guess at least he is trying????

·
Registered
947 Posts
No he is still on that one. Still really bad too. Oh well. I guess at least he is trying????
I think it is nice that you have stopped the out right bashing, the patronizing is way better!! LOL

(I am just teasing and being cheeky by the way!)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I think it is nice that you have stopped the out right bashing, the patronizing is way better!! LOL

(I am just teasing and being cheeky by the way!)

Ya it is just the way I am feeling today. Tomorrow maybe back to bashing maybe not. :wink:

Mine is more a sense that he is showing what his program can do and why you should do it and spend all that money. NOT.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm not quite sure... I thought it was back up but then she was trying to move his forequarters. Yet she would yank him back when he tried...
I personally dont mind Pat. I really dislike Linda and her "people teacher."

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think it was something about the horse not understanding the cue (in Parelli, shaking the lead means back up), he wasn't paying attention, or something. I don't know. It's also, as far as my knowledge goes, labeled as a "game".
All I know is that it wouldn't teach anything except for fear (which is entirely different from respect) of the handler and make a horse head-shy.

Actually, now that I think about it, I realise why a green Clydesdale/Quarter Horse that I exercised (not trained!) was head-shy. Czar was Parelli trained; I used to have to stand in the stall with him, sometimes for thirty minutes or more, just trying to get him to accept the bridle. It took a huge amount of gentle coaxing and quiet motivation just to get him to lower his head. If you lost your temper even in the slightest bit or tried to force him, you'd have to start from square one. He got better and better in the monthes that I worked with him, but he still never really liked his muzzle or cheeks touched. He wouldn't back up if you moved into him or oushed on his chest, either. You had to shake to rope.
I wonder if this is what happened to him...

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I tell you. That horse was a saint. If he is not already trashed. I want him. Then I want to take a rope and put it on her head and slap her around with it.

This is what PP cult members aspire to??????????

·
Super Moderator
27,571 Posts
that was a horrible video.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Wanted to post this. This is apparently Linda Parelli, it's from one of her seven games DVDs. Can anybody guess what is trying to be taught?
Click Here

Give up? They're trying to teach him to back up.
That's the most impatient and angry trainer I've ever seen. :-(

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Wanted to post this. This is apparently Linda Parelli, it's from one of her seven games DVDs. Can anybody guess what is trying to be taught?
Click Here

Give up? They're trying to teach him to back up.
Somehow it is not surprising.

She failed in dressage too. (just for those that don't know the "real" story behind Linda.)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
ooo whats the real story behind linda???

I know that she got a hot horse what she couldnt handle at all and she went parelli for help basically.. thats not the whole story but just the basics of it. But is there something else???

·
Super Moderator
27,571 Posts
Somehow it is not surprising.

She failed in dressage too. (just for those that don't know the "real" story behind Linda.)
I don't know the "real" story. I just always assumed she was married to a trainer and she decided to ride on his coat tails... I know that sounds mean, but it's what I thought....

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I really didn't mind the video. What I saw was a great big horse that had been walking all over people since he had been halter broke and was paying attention to everything but the person on the end of the leadrope. I would have done something similar to get his attention. Every time he takes his eyes off her she pops that lead a little untill he brings his attention back to her. When he tries to walk over her she gets big and puts more energy in the rope and disengages his hindquarters. When he tries to leave her she lets him go a few steps and jerks his head around. That was not some yearling out of the back pasture that had never led before. That horse looked like he was somewhere north of 17 hands and had walk all over people for years. The people that abused this horse were the people that have been handling him and letting him get that disrespectful in his behaviour.

I think she stayed pretty calm and did just as much as she needed to get the required response. I try not to get so caught up in critisizing someone that I can't see the good things they are doing. This is a good example of that. She was trying to fix a horse that was a hazard if not outright dangerous to handle on the ground. I may not agree with most of what the P's do but this was no game it was taking the steps to get something fixed.

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
HAF...partly right.

Basically she had a horse SHE could not handle. But the scores she got in dressage showed she simply couldn't ride nor have an understanding of what she was doing in dressage. There are a lot of "hot" horses in dressage and you have to know what you are doing to work them right. If I remember correctly she blamed the coach she had at the time but coach or no, if you can't ride you simply can't ride. She needed a nice quiet trail horse and that would have suited better.

If you look at the videos she has out there with WAZ "trying" to teach her it sure looks like he gave up and just barked out instructions not really caring that they are not done correctly.

Anyways she somehow tagged up with Pat and maybe some of what Pat did helped the horse but my guess is that when Linda stopped "trying" to ride high level dressage on it the horse was happier.

Most of the rest we know but Linda's riding or understanding of dressage hasn't improved and she still "attempts" to fake it.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Interesting. Thanks for filling me in on that one. I havent really looked at any videos she has of her attempting dressage. But I already knew she probably didnt do very well at dressage seeing her ride now.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
I really didn't mind the video. What I saw was a great big horse that had been walking all over people since he had been halter broke and was paying attention to everything but the person on the end of the leadrope. I would have done something similar to get his attention. Every time he takes his eyes off her she pops that lead a little untill he brings his attention back to her. When he tries to walk over her she gets big and puts more energy in the rope and disengages his hindquarters. When he tries to leave her she lets him go a few steps and jerks his head around. That was not some yearling out of the back pasture that had never led before. That horse looked like he was somewhere north of 17 hands and had walk all over people for years. The people that abused this horse were the people that have been handling him and letting him get that disrespectful in his behaviour.

I think she stayed pretty calm and did just as much as she needed to get the required response. I try not to get so caught up in critisizing someone that I can't see the good things they are doing. This is a good example of that. She was trying to fix a horse that was a hazard if not outright dangerous to handle on the ground. I may not agree with most of what the P's do but this was no game it was taking the steps to get something fixed.
In my humble opinion, she went way over the top. I hate an in-your-face, no-respect horse as much as the next guy, but I WILL NOT use a metal-ended shank on the end of a rope halter to continually SLAM the horse around. You could hear the "clunk" of the metal clasp on the horse's face. I also completely disagree with whatever she was trying to do with the horse's face. That is a headshy horse in the making.
There was NO give whatsoever. Her timing was atrocious.
Yielding the hindquarter/forehand? Great! Teaching boundaries? Great! But not the way she was doing it. Nope. From what I saw, she got frustrated and took her anger out on the horse.

A sentiment I share from another board I belong to:
Good timing, a well fitting flat halter with a properly adjusted stud chain over the nose, and a crop, would cure his manners without having to slap a horse in the face and flailing ropes and elbows at him like an idiot.

ETA: Personally, I'd hate to have to try and fix this horse after the Parellite gets through with it.
I see a young, spooky horse that needs consistent work. I don't think he needed what was shown in that video whatsoever.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've heard that the horse in the LP video was actually blind in one eye, or had only one eye. . .which makes LP's handling of him even more despicable. :-|

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
What bothers me is that she is flailing around, bullying the horse without any attempt to let the horse know what he SHOULD be doing. When he was watching her and backing up, there was no reward. No indication at all, that this was the expected behavior. He was simply reacting to pain. Without that understanding, the horse learns nothing but frustration, IMO.

I work with other people's problems, often horses considered dangerous. With firm direction followed up with IMMEDIATE praise the second something goes even a little bit better, I have had great success bringing really rank horses around very quickly. I would never treat a horse as this woman did here. And, I have dealt with far worse behavior than that horse displayed.

141 - 160 of 189 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.