Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

If you had to put together the perfect grooming kit/bag/box, what would you be sure to include in it? Do you have a favorite specific, say, curry comb or finishing brush? What's your favorite tool for getting that show-ready finish? A tool/brush you couldn't survive without, whether it be for a simple, everyday ride or for the biggest show of the season?

Curious to see what everybody likes! :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Jelly curry (the kind with big bumps on one side, and bristles on the other), a horse hair body brush, and a plastic curry comb with a hose attachment are a must for me.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
In my bucket I have a hoof pick, plastic curry, body/soft brush, and a shedding blade that I use to get water off after a bath and to get shedding hairs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
A few high quality items, which fit comfortably in MY hand, is key for me.

A hoofpick w/brush on the handle, oval rubber curry, round curry with long teeth for winter coats, Dandy brush, Body brush, wide-tooth plastic comb with long handle, a shedding blade that can be closed for one hand or opened for two handed use, a small towel/grooming cloth, sharp scissors, and my beloved Healthy Haircare Moisturizer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have 2 different types of currys, a dandy brush, a body brush (a really great one that removes sooo much dirt in one sweep), a face brush, a hoof pick with brush, a grooming Mit I use for the legs, mane and tail brush, a comb I use for the forelock, several sponges for different purposes, a sweat scraper (if you count it as grooming) and a random horse measuring tape.. It does come in handy though! That's my perfect grooming bag/box, any more I probably wouldn't even use it! I sometimes only curry and use the body brush as its really great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My favorite addition to my grooming bag is just a plain ordinary towel. After I groom the horse I rub all over the body and make sure to have the hair laying right after I'm done, but really gives an extra shine. I don't even add any product to the towel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What I have currently in mine is two different times a curry combs, a jelly one for everyday use and a metal one for the shedding, along with a slick block for shedding as well. I also have a stiff long bristle brush to flick hair off, a dandy brush, finishing brush, and a face brush. I also have a hard little brush i use on the outside of the hoof if there is a lot of dirt and mud, along with my hoof pick that has a brush on it as well. on top of all of that I also have some Moroccan oil for the mane and tail, and a de-stresser for the mane and tail that is made of coconut oil (he has a nice mane and tail, I like to try to keep it that way) I also have a pulling comb that is metal, and a normal mane and tail brush, along with some rubber bands for braiding and banding ect. Last but not least, I have some wound care things in there as well. I THINK that is everything I have in my grooming tote. lol It is not a very big tote and I somehow manager to get all of that into it..I need a new one.

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
Leather backed, natural bristle body brush.
Dandy brush
Metal curry comb with handle.
Rubber curry.
Dog comb with handle
Cotton towelling cloth
Hoof pick
Wad of stainless steel pan cleaners unravelled and plaited together for removing mud
Whisp
Sponges 2
De tangler (for tails only)

Big tub of elbow grease.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Boy, oh boy, grooming kits! My favorite (and most expensive) thing I like to 'collect' for.

I try to only use natural bristle brushes, wood or leather backed (leather is really hard to find here, so typically wooden.) But sometimes I have to give in if I can't find what I want. So this is what one of my kits typically looks like:

Curries:
Coarse finger curry
Sarvis (plastic) curry
Rubber curry
Face curry
Curry glove/ mit

Brushes:
dandy (stiff) brush
medium stiff brush
body (soft) brush
finishing brush
Flicker brush
face brush
hoof brush
tail brush (only used if absolutely needed.)

Other:
Hoof pick (2 varieties. Always kept sharp)
Hoof oil/ conditioner
Chamois leather
Sheepskin mitt
Stable rubber (cloth)
Cactus cloth
Wisp pad (for strapping/ banging/ wisping)
Mane comb
Pulling comb
Fetlock scissors
mini clippers
body clippers
sweat scraper
Fly spray
coat polish
hoof polish
detangler

In my bathing kit I have:

Basic shampoo
color enhancing shampoo
conditioner
natural sponges
sweat scraper
sarvis curry
bucket (2 gallon)
'magic' shammies
towels
whitening shampoo

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a few things, but yeah...I take grooming seriously.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my current kit (which, just for fun, is all color coordinated with fun designs as seen here Roma Patterned Hoof Pick and Hoof Picks | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM)

- Curry mitt with fine rubber bristles on one side and metal massaging rollers on the other.
- Long-bristled, medium brush--the kind that is between the dandy and the soft, short-bristled body brush. Diamond is far too sensitive to use a regular dandy brush, he hates them to pieces; same with the hard plastic curry.
- Face brush
- Hoof pick w/brush
- Mane Comb
- Grooming cloth
- Sweat Scraper
- Hoof conditioner
- Basic horse shampoo
- Show Sheen/Detangler for his tail
- Fly spray
- For Christmas I got Twinkle glitter for his mane/tail which I never buy, but it's fun to have!

On my list is to find a good color-enhancing shampoo and pick up a wash mitt.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
What I would like...

Metal Curry
Plastic Curry
Hard/Stiff Brush
Sweatscraper
Soft Brush
Hoof pick
Comb
Fly Spray
Towels/Rags

What I have at this moment...

Plastic curry
Body Brush
Hoof pick
Sweat Scraper
and a comb somewhere
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
990 Posts
everything I'd have has already been said, except I'd add, Sleekaz brushes...bucket of Tuff Rock, and a bottle of EquiSilver wound spray...great for little cuts...like when your horse overreaches and you don't have Bell Boots. It heals it nice and quickly...it is very expensive, but totally worth it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Grooming bag: hard brush, soft brush/finishing brush, curry comb, hoof pick with brush on the other end, hair brush and comb, also shedding blade, and rubber bands if you do a type of riding were you might have to quickly braid there main or tail, also its a good idea to have some junky brushes and a small rag for a muddy day when you don't want to get your good brushes muddy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Grooming bag: hard brush, soft brush/finishing brush, curry comb, hoof pick with brush on the other end, hair brush and comb, also shedding blade, and rubber bands if you do a type of riding were you might have to quickly braid there main or tail, also its a good idea to have some junky brushes and a small rag for a muddy day when you don't want to get your good brushes muddy.
Also tough one is a great brand for grooming brushes and a bag.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.