The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
1. It took me far too long to remember to undo leg straps and then slide the rug off and be yanked back. Fortunately the horses I offended were pretty chill! Mantra: BACK TO FRONT!
2. Slogged across the swamp-field to the trough for a bucket of water and my mind wandered. I forgot I needed it for tomorrow morning and when I got back poured it away ... so back again I went :<
3. Lost my hat in the field and searched for it at 9pm in the dark in the rain... to realise it was in my hand the whole time :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Once I thought it would be a fun idea to take my lease pony's saddle off while I was still sitting on him. I did that with no problem at all, but the real trouble came when I tried to figure out how to get off while holding the saddle. Ya girl is NOT flexible at all. I tried to swing my leg over his neck to slide off, but my foot got caught on his withers and I slid off sideways onto my back. He didn't even move, just looked at me sitting there on the ground. I could tell he was embarrassed by me 😂

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
My friend and I were messing around on our horses when we were about 14. My friend suggested we try rump-jumping, since we both were quite good at leaping on bareback. She ran up to her horse and leaped at his rump. He lifted both hind legs and sent her flying quite a long ways. It was really dramatic. She wasn't hurt.

Around that same time, I thought it would be fun to try lying over my horse like a dead man while he was grazing. He bolted into the garden and bucked me off right onto a sharpened tomato stake. Still have the scar on my thigh.

I was ponying my 5 year old daughter on a trail ride when suddenly a huge branch dropped directly behind my horse and her pony. My horse leaped left. The pony bolted right. The lady behind me yelled, "Make a wish!" as we were imitating a turkey wishbone. I had a split second to decide whether to release the leadline and leave my daughter on her own, or come off my horse and keep ahold of the leadline. I chose to protect my daughter. I wasn't hurt, my horse stayed with us, and everything was OK.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My friend and I were messing around on our horses when we were about 14. My friend suggested we try rump-jumping, since we both were quite good at leaping on bareback. She ran up to her horse and leaped at his rump. He lifted both hind legs and sent her flying quite a long ways. It was really dramatic. She wasn't hurt.

Around that same time, I thought it would be fun to try lying over my horse like a dead man while he was grazing. He bolted into the garden and bucked me off right onto a sharpened tomato stake. Still have the scar on my thigh.

I was ponying my 5 year old daughter on a trail ride when suddenly a huge branch dropped directly behind my horse and her pony. My horse leaped left. The pony bolted right. The lady behind me yelled, "Make a wish!" as we were imitating a turkey wishbone. I had a split second to decide whether to release the leadline and leave my daughter on her own, or come off my horse and keep ahold of the leadline. I chose to protect my daughter. I wasn't hurt, my horse stayed with us, and everything was OK.
Your post was a wild ride to READ lol!

·
Registered
191 Posts
So, not a fail, but still stupid.
A year or so ago, my dad said something about their being more numbers than letters. And I was literally dumb founded. I had never thought of that! I don't know why I was so amazed, but, yeah. I have been told I am a special kid...
Although, in my defense, technically their are more letters than digits, because there is only 0-9, but you just put them together to make more, and isn't that what you do to make a word? So really, which has more. But...yeah, I was amazed by that revelation...

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
My favorite recent fail was last summer when I was grazing my horse on my front lawn holding her lead rope and my neighbors walked by. They stopped to chat and I wasn't paying attention to my horse, so when she flung her head up suddenly, probably because of a fly, she connected with my head. Knocked me to the ground and gave me a giant shiner. Pretty embarrassing.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Not a huge fail but went to lead my girl out of her stall this morning and realized that I opened the door without clipping on her lead rope. So, she's heading off to the pasture (where she was going anyways) and I'm standing like a fool with a rope in my hand. Luckily breakfast is more intriguing than the woods!
Oh gosh. 😆I can just imagine. I turned out a horse the other day in his jammies... Had to go catch him and bring him back in to blanket him up. That felt awfully stupid. 😂

·
Registered
191 Posts
Spotted a glove on my way back on the trail, realized it was mine, hopped down, retrieved it, put it in my pocket only to discover I still only had one glove. All that rappelling and climbing for naught. At least they were cheap.
I do this all the time!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I haven't ridden much in the past few months. I went to ride tackless yesterday (my horse hasn't been ridden much for the past few months either) and it ended in disaster. She took off, I went flying into the ground.

And now today, I can't move. If you're going to try silly things, at least wait till you're back in shape!

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I've noticed it's hard to get horses to back out of trailers when you still have them tied. I've also tried to drive a horse when I was sitting in the cart, but the horse was still tied to the hitching post.

It's also a funny feeling when you turn a horse into a big field after a ride, watch him gallop off and see he still has his boots on.

One of the worst for me was when I went to the barn in the dark and put my horse's blanket on using a flashlight. He wasn't cooperating so I tied him to his feeder to put it on. Then I went to work. Several hours later at work, I suddenly realized I never untied my horse!! My boss let me leave to rush back and find my horse still standing patiently. Poor guy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was running barrels and Jax was feeling good, like REALLY good and we were running home and as soon as he crossed the timeline he started bucking with me desperately hanging on and trying to pull his head up. I stayed in but kinda impaled myself with the saddle horn. But hey we got our fastest time yet so it was worth it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven't ridden much in the past few months. I went to ride tackless yesterday (my horse hasn't been ridden much for the past few months either) and it ended in disaster. She took off, I went flying into the ground.

And now today, I can't move. If you're going to try silly things, at least wait till you're back in shape!
I literally did the same thing with my mare a while ago. I went to ride her tackless when she had been only worked lightly for the past week, and decided since she was doing so well at walk/trot that we should canter...lol not a good idea!

·
Registered
85 Posts
So my most memorable was probably during a long trail ride with two girl friends and the boyfriend of one of them.
To start off the boyfriend trying to cross a huge creek and ended up commenting that if I could get “that” horse across he get his across.
Well my spazzy Arab might be afraid of a weed in the pasture but she went Anywhere.

We made it across, he followed, we came back and his horse wouldn’t so he left the park to ride the road back to the parking lot and we went on without boyfriend.

Shortly down the trail my friend decides we should wade the horses in the pond. Her horse won’t go in, she is swearing it’s knee deep and she can see the bottom. She’ll follow right behind me.
My horse steps off the grassy bank and Disappears! She just went right under, the water reached my chin, my friend is laughing so hard I thought she would wet her saddle. None of us had a clue there was no slope.

My poor horse pops up and starts swimming like there’s nothing to it, swims a big loop and hops up on the bank and stands there completely casual while we crack up.

We ride back to the trailers, boyfriend is finally making his way back as well, and I slip dismounting my wet saddle and land flat on my back with a foot in the stirrup laughing while my dear horse pretended not to know me.

All in all a great day making memories but I will never trust any one if I can’t see the bottom myself again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nearly reached my 100 falls! There was one summer, were I was riding a super spooky bouncy 4 year old, and I fell off every day for 2 weeks straight. (someone else kept using my saddle on their horse, and their was no other one that fit)
I have listed the most memorable
1) I was 8 I think, and I was riding my pony named Thor, who was a rescue horse, in the pasture. Thor is the master of tricks. I decided to go for a canter, and he stepped through the girth with his front legs. (no, I do not remember tightening my girth or using one 2 sizes to big ;) )

2) I was 2. I was riding Thor. (First pony I ever sat on) And my dad, forgot to tighten the girth, Thor spooked, the saddle slid to the right, and I hit my head on a apple tree. Luckily, I was wearing my pink rabbit helmet.

3) Age 10. I decided to jump a 3' oxer bareback. You can guess how that ended...

4) I was 9. I was trail riding. I was riding Bear, and he was barn sour. I had a random idea in my head, that I wanted to canter down hill in the direction of the barn. Big mistake. He bucked my off with excellent form, and I landed on my hind end in a puddle while he galloped into the barn, and started eating hay.

5)Age 9. I was ridding a 19 year old horse. I decided to trot him over a tiny 1" cross rail. His jumping style was like this. Trot normally until about 15 feet away, then go super slow until about a stride away, then gallop a stride, over- jump so high you momentarily think about entering him in a grand prix jumper class. Land galloping, and refuse to stop.Well I fell off about 2 strides later, and he preceded to jump the arena fence.

6) Age 11. When you decide to jump a spooky pony over a liver pool in no-stirrup-November. Enough said.

7) age 11. Trotting a 4 year old Arabian over a pole on grass footing. I was trotting toward the pole, and just before going over it, he saw it was there and stopped. I went flying over his ears. (that's when I first considered switching to dressage only)

8) Age 13. Rode tackless for the first time. Decided to have a canter and bounced right off, got back on, and the pony shied at a cone on the side of arena, and I went flying side ways.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm another that made this decision recently! To be fair, my mare wasn't out of work, and we've done tackless pasture venturing successfully many times. But I was talking to the neighbor (my horse standing nicely at the pasture's fence line with me on her back, tackless) when she spooked and bolted right out from under me. She came back to me so I couldn't be too upset. The neighbor, an elderly man with a particularly poor memory, has since said "Good thing you've got a saddle on today!" every time I see him. It's the only thing he hasn't forgotten about me or the horses. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts