The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I can see my horse learning the sound of that and tearing up whenever she heard it opening. I'll take one! If someone wants to pay the probably ridiculous price of it for me :lol:

·
Registered
632 Posts
One thought I had after watching Endiku's video.

The horses in that video you could see them milling about waiting, I wonder if some horses might get MORE anxious about feeding if they could only get a couple of bites at a time.

The whole thing with slow feeding is that there is always hay available so the horse learns to stop worrying about when their next meal is coming, right? So I'm just wondering if this would provide the same effect given the frequency with which the hay is made available, or if the horses would just be milling around the feeder constantly waiting for their next chance.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
It is interesting what the creative and inventive mind can come up with.

I can't see either of the feeders surviving my horses or our winters.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
...The whole thing with slow feeding is that there is always hay available so the horse learns to stop worrying about when their next meal is coming, right? So I'm just wondering if this would provide the same effect given the frequency with which the hay is made available, or if the horses would just be milling around the feeder constantly waiting for their next chance.
I would be inclined to think that way as well. Possibly the best invention to date, after full time pasture, is the slow feeder hay net - simple but effective technology.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
That's a great idea, though I think my horses would get a neck ache from that! If the hay was dispensed on the ground or to where they could eat it at chest level, like their current hay bags, I'd like it even more.

I find the one Endiku linked hilarious. They must sprint to the barn when they hear/see the slats lowering. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first one, as I said, can be set to open every half hour, 24/7. After getting used to that I dint think horses worry too much anymore. I think that's the solution for slowfeeder Houdini's who manage to either rip a net, or still eat too fast.
The second one says in the description, they open every three hours in winter, in summer horses are out on pasture during the day and then come in at night for three hour intervals again.
I believe they would get used to that quite fast and maybe even skip a meal if they have other things to do, just like mine never empty a slowfeeder net all at once.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a great idea, though I think my horses would get a neck ache from that! If the hay was dispensed on the ground or to where they could eat it at chest level, like their current hay bags, I'd like it even more.

I find the one Endiku linked hilarious. They must sprint to the barn when they hear/see the slats lowering. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device
Then maybe their other model would be more appropriate;-)http://www.bb-equipment.de/seite-2-3.html

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm pretty sure my horses would go crazy waiting for the feeder to open next. The sound of it opening would be like shaking a bucket of grain and they'd come running. They'd also probably start anticipating it opening.

Our slow feeder net/barrel solution has been working great. They're filled once a day and provide 24/7 hay!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I like that first one, Desert! I also like the second. I actually have a round laundry hamper that looks similar to that that I've been thinking of punching holes in the top so I can tie it closed and let the horses roll it and their paddock to eat from.

Don't forget that horses are habitual animals. If you feed the same time every day, they know when and will bring themselves in from the field to eat/work at that time every day. They don't stand at the gate all day anticipating when you get there because they know. There may be some anticipation at first, buy once they learn the schedule, they'll come in and eat when it's time, then go back out until they know the next time hay comes out.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly.
I love the Heu Toy. they really have to work on that one. one of the instructional videos says if you stuff it really tight, it's even harder for them, and if you want it a little more stable( or get annoyed by the bumping it into walls all night long lol), put a bungee tie through a couple of holes in the back and fasten it to a wall or a panel. And it can be hung low, no chance of getting a foot caught in this one. It also keeps all dust out of their noses due to the way the holes are set. So even a heaves horse could eat from that. Now I'm wondering how much it costs and how much shipping would be.....;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.