The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
IMHO, there were many great horses left out of this article, which focused on TB's. "Trigger" was gaited--maybe TWH?--why wasn't this mentioned?
How about "Janus", named for the Roman God that sees both forward and backwards at the same time, and that TB stallion was the foundation sire of the American QH?
Or the "Morgan" foundation sire?
How about "Bucephalus", who was Alexander the Great's horse?
I am sure that there are many, many more excluded.
Honestly, the article reminds me of a 12yo's Computer Class article. LOL

·
Premium Member
13,268 Posts
I liked Trigger, but he didn't contribute all that much to horses or world history. It skipped famous war horses (Traveller?) and largely ignored any 'history' that occurred before the author's birth.

"...Such a picture would inspire a poet, whose genius could then depict his worth, and describe his endurance of toil, hunger, thirst, heat and cold; and the dangers and suffering through which he has passed. He could dilate upon his sagacity and affection, and his invariable response to every wish of his rider. He might even imagine his thoughts through the long night-marches and days of the battle through which he has passed... — Robert E. Lee

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
In my opinion the 'great' horses were those that formed the foundation for a breed that still lives on today.

This would be the Darley Arabian, the Byerley Turk and the Godolphin Arabian, three of the founders of the thoroughbred.

Nearco, who influenced the modern TB. Odds on that majority of the top TB sires have him in their blood.

There have been many great TBs but, although they did well, does not mean they are going to be great sires.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That was a cool article! As there are many awesome horses in history, I did recognize the title as being, "Seven Great Horses Throughout History" (Not the seven greatest) - just seven of many, of course! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.