The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older sister just phoned me. She lives where my horse is now and is she looks after the horses a lot at the stables there.

She told me Park is really not doing well. He is getting colic a lot, is losing weight and has a prostate problem so sometimes he struggles even to wee. He almost kicked his stable down one night he was in such pain. But seemed to have recovered a bit since then.

He is 27 now and has lived a good life I think. I wish that I could go say goodbye to him. They told me last year when I was in hospital they might put him down but he seemed to recovered a bit. It seems serious now.

I don't know how to feel. I want what is best for him and I don't want him to die a horrible death one day. My mind is all over the place right now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Im so sorry to hear this.
I read what you’ve been through and it must be really hard now to ALSO face this. I hope there are people who can competently advise you, but in my personal opinion, we always should do what is best for the animal. Big hugs.

·
Super Moderator
14,725 Posts
It is tough to hear your animal is in trouble...it hurts and for that I'm so sorry.
You have alluded to being on borrowed time with the horse for quite some time knowing he is failing in health.
His bouts of painful colic, and now a issue of being able to urinate is indeed serious, life-threatening.
The horse is 27 and has led a good life..
He is loved and cared for...
The time is coming when the vet is not going to be able to help the horse through the pain immense it has...
I understand your mind being in many places and not wanting to make a decision but you must.
You either let nature take its course where the animal must endure the pain and slow-death a bad colic or if he is unable to urinate the poisoning of his body and renal failure he may be experiencing starting...
Or...
You take the step to determine the horse be laid to rest while it has the ability to walk to a final resting spot and then have a last kiss goodbye and be gone by your vets hand and drug given.

It is what you choose, but you need to choose and you live with that choice made.
And you need to let the barn and more importantly your sister know your decision so it is known do we call the vet or do we walk away and not watch, not hear, not see.
Those sadly seem to be your choices and one of them you must pick.

For me, I would choose in this case on a 27 year old horse who is known to be failing for more than a year to euthanize now before the really bad one happens that the animal suffer, truly suffer and die a agonizing death cause you have been warned it is coming.
I would choose to set my friend free...

I would choose my animal be comforted as he leaves this life by having someone with him he trusts, who he knows to offer scratches and loving sounds/words to indeed offer comfort...and let him be gone.
That would be my choice.
I could live with that decision...

It is your horse, your decision and your mind and heart that must carry the burden of how the animal lives the last of its time on Earth.

I think in your heart you know it is time to set your horse free....
Those are the words...set him free those who also love and care for the animal need to hear.
Many hugs for your hurting heart and anguished mind, but once your decision is made it can be acted upon...you to shall have peace to heal as you know your horse is no longer in pain.
In plain words... give the permission for euthanasia to be done.
I'm sorry, but to me that is what the final show of love is...allowing the horse to be free of pain in his body you know he is enduring and suffering from.
Many hugs and shared tears for and with you...its tough a decision but the right one for your beloved pet in my opinion...
🐴...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. My sister said that she would make the decision as she is there to see what is happening. I thanked her for that.

I will speak to her again tomorrow and maybe tell her it is time to call the vet out this week :(

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
I don’t know what to say except that I am so sorry to hear that your horse is having troubles and may soon have to be put to rest. I hope that you’re able to find peace with whatever decision you make. 💕

Reactions: pnr and BethR

·
Registered
508 Posts
That’s terribly sad; my condolences. My mare is nearly 29 so I may be dealing with the same thing in the not too distant future.
I believe that the kindest thing is to set your horse’s spirit free. He’ll be grazing peacefully in a sunny meadow, waiting for you, and carry you to your final resting place where you’ll always be together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m so sorry you are having to go through this. However this is the price we humans pay for all the years of love and faithful service we receive from the animals we have in our lives. It is our duty as caretaker to make sure our most loved companions enter their eternal rest with comfort and dignity.
my heart goes out to you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts