The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are putting in an arena and I want to build my trust with my horse. What are some exercises/groundwork to build our trust? This arena is kinda small, well really small I think, compared to the one I ride at the trainers. It’s 50 by 100 feet there will be a fence around it and standard sand. Don’t now if any of that information helps but I am just trying to get all the details out. My horse is 14.3 for size.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have way to many to list here. but some books I would recommend are: 101 western dressage exercises they have a whole section on ground work and plenty more exercises to build up muscle and trust. Clinton Andersons Downunder horsemanship: establishing respect and control for the English and western riders. (I know Clinton Anderson has been abusive sometimes, but his principals are good and he has TONS of great ground work in there)
you can also get different equestrian apps that often have recommended exercises (I use equisense)
And of course just stick to your basics: lunging, yielding hindquarters, yielding fore-end, walking on a loose lead
This website has some other basic recommendations:

·
Registered
875 Posts
For me personally, gaining my horses' trust starts on the ground, before I even saddle up or put them on the lunge. So I start with grooming. A routine--out to pasture in the morning, in the stall at night etc. Being a consistent, calm, assertive, kind leader.

·
Registered
51,088 Posts
Building trust can be as easy as having trust in the horse. Horses pick up on the body language of other beings WAY better than we do. The handler that gives off a confident vibe is the one that the horse will quickly learn to trust.

By interracting with the horse with a fundamental assumption that you are sure things will work out from the beginning, you impart a feeling of confidence to the horse, and confidence IS trust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts