The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse isn't rideable anymore, as she has bad arthiritis issues, which cause her to be sore most of the time. She has good days every once in awhile when she isn't sore, but that's usually pretty rare.

I am looking for things that I could do with her, like teaching her tricks (ones that don't put alot of pressure on her joints) or other things like that.
Also, how do you teach the tricks if you have an idea?

I was thinking of teaching her to ground drive too, but I don't know if it involves lunging or not to teach her to do that? (she can't lunge that much)

We just need stuff to do together, she really wants to get out and do something! :]
Thank you!

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Ground driving does not include lunging :) It is simply teaching the horse to work souly off of voice and rein signals, and is generally fairly easy to teach a horse who is trained to ride. All you need is some long driving lines (atleast 15' each) and a surcingle or saddle. I personally dont know how to thread the lines with a saddle but I'm sure someone on here does. With a surcingle you merely pull the lines through the rings on the sides.

Another thing that might work well is ponying her (if you have access to a second horse, that is) on the trails or around the farm. Its good exercise to keep her healthy and it can be fun. Hand walking her on trails is also quite fun, as well as trail classes and such. With artheritic horses it is always best to keep them as active as possible, to keep the swelling in their joints down and to keep the muscles that they do have strong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.