The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it soooo fun to go to random stores and find things you an use for your horse for really cheap!

Share the things you like to buy :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recently made a trip to the dollar store and found a few cute items :)

I'm going to clip one to Ransom's halter and one to his leadrope :)

I'm going to be using these for bathtime :)

Mane and tail brush for a dollar! Wahoo!

Babywipes are a must for me! I can never have enough at the barn.

Some things that can also be found at the dollar store~
Rubber hair ties for braiding
Vaseline
Shampoo and Conditioner
Sponges
Combs
Feathers and beads for creative braiding projects :)
Jewels and sparkles for blinging out thaaangs :)
Pretty much anything for bathtime! (buckets, towels, etc.)

·
Registered
988 Posts
My first aid kit, Epsom salts, alcohol, syringes, bandages, gauze, sport tape, sanitary napkins (I use them for my dog who cuts open his paws all the time tape one on stick in a boot and off he goes), soap and Vaseline and diaper rash cream.

Baby oil, conditioner, baby powder, baby shampoo, hair brushes, combs, leather wipes, glycerin soap, hooks (for hanging stuff), feed scoops, and baby wipes. To name a few.

Oh forgot Spice's favorite thing a big bag of white peppermints.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My favorite bargain is car wax terry-sponge applicators, 2 for $1 at the local dollar store. They're about $5 for 2 at the tack store. I use them for cleaning tack and -- wait for it, wait for it -- applying fly spray on the face, around eyes and on ears of my horses!

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Wig combs are terrific for manes because of the huge teeth.

One can either start with a wig comb and leave it go at that, or work their way down to a finer comb.

I buy a lot of my topical medicines, for the horses, at WalMart or whatever drug store I happen to be in. They are much cheaper than something with "equine" or "horse" on it and most of the time work just as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The best thing I've ever gotten at a non horsey store was one of those pumice blocks you use for removing bot eggs. Two bucks! Woohoo. It was really a grill stone, but hey! Works much better than the one from the tack shop and MUCH less expensive. All my friends at the barn keep wanting to borrow it in bot season. Haha!

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
The best thing I've ever gotten at a non horsey store was one of those pumice blocks you use for removing bot eggs. Two bucks! Woohoo. It was really a grill stone, but hey! Works much better than the one from the tack shop and MUCH less expensive. All my friends at the barn keep wanting to borrow it in bot season. Haha!
They are also great for the shedding horse.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Flax in bulk at the grocery store.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Pepermint!
I found riding boots (just for practice, they were brand new boots that looked like english riding boots) at good will! haha I just put half chaps on and they work great!
buckets for feeding bathing ect.
sponges
i got a little cross clip for my horses halter
Oh and I found mane and tail shampoo and conditioner at walmart! Same stuff but half off!

·
Registered
88 Posts
All my bath time stuff, sponges, buckets, liniment, and shampoos and conditioners. I also have quite a few first aid kit items from the pharmacy!

·
Registered
334 Posts
We hosted a 4 year old's bday party, and found lots of fun stuff in the arts and crafts section of walmart! My personal fav was the glue on gems, the kids loved decorating my mare with them! And in the end she looked really cute with all of the stars/hearts/etc on her. I am most likely going to decorate her with them for some fun shows this summer... ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts