The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this 2yr old who will be 3 in February and she does not look like a 2yr almost 3 yr old at all she was 13.2hh when I got her this past February and is still 13.2hh. She gets fed 2x a day Purina strategy she gets a total of 6lbs of feed a day and she's on green grass 24/7 when I got her according to previous owners she was starved and not taken care of properly so I'm afraid her growth is stunted but she does have some long legs tho. What do you guys think? Think she'll grow any or not?

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Mare

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mare Stallion

Don't know if this would help any both her dam was 14.3hh and her sire was over 14hh also not sure exactly but her grandsire was 13.2hh too and she's full Arab...

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
I would think shed grow more how much i dont know. Have a gelding that was starved when i got him as a yearling. He was only as big as a 4 month old colt. He matured to 14.3 hands sire was 16.1 dam was 15.1 hands,so he didnt get as big as he could of been.

Took him a long time to fill out and mature but he finally did.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
She might grow another few inches and make 14hh, but if her parents were that big to begin with and she was starved as a young one, she probably won't ever be a tall horse.

My two year old came to me as a ~275 lb (VERY emanciated) 12.2hh 14 month old, and she didn't really start growing until about three months ago. Since then she has shot up to 13.3 hh at the wither and 14hh at the butt. Her sire and dam were 15.2hh and 15.3hh respectively, and she string tests to be 15.2hh, but I don't expect her to get that big. My guess is that she'll top out at around 14.2hh, which is fine with me. Very small for a TB, but a decent size for a rider.

Your girl is very cute and I'm glad she's in a good place now. Do her knees still feel like they're open? Have you tried string testing her?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your girl is very cute and I'm glad she's in a good place now. Do her knees still feel like they're open? Have you tried string testing her?
Thank you. Yes and yes, she string tested to be 15.3 which I HIGHLY doubt she'll get that big.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
If her knees still feel open she's probably just a late bloomer. Just keep feeding her the way you are and I would think she'll grow at least another inch or two.

Reactions: tiffrmcoy

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
She's a nice looking filly!
I would think she would get to 14 hands anyway. She can grow for at least another couple of years.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aww Thanks everyone I think she's cute too:D!

If she reaches 14hh (which I'm really hoping she does) I'll be so happy!

·
Registered
37,004 Posts
I would never think that a 2 yr old of any breed will not get bigger. I know horses who at 2 have been close to their actual height. I know horses who at 4 looked like they won't grow anymore, and suddenly boom a few inches.
I would not assume a horse will not grow if it has the potential (bigger parents etc) when it's 2, I would wait till 4-5, then they usually have reached the maximum height..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.