The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey horsey friends,
I hope everyone had a wonderful week. I am seriously thinking about getting this bridle for my mare and just curious what you think of it? My mare does need a reminder to keep her mouth closed and if I need to it is a removable flash.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey! The bridle in the picture looks lovely!! You just need to make sure its a good brand and thats its just not bad leather sewn into what looks like a nice bridle. I also think I have the same reins and the ones in the photo but after about 2 weeks of using them the colour started to rub off and so now it just looks all patchy. The reins were black and I don’t know if they are from the same brand so I am not saying that that’s what is going to happen to those. Also what colour is the horse you are planning to use them? You definitely need to think of the colour which is one of the hardest things about buying new tack. A grey or a light colour may look really nice in that, if you haven‘t tried that colour on your horse ask some friends if they have the same colour bridle which they can lend you just to see how it looks on your horse. What colour is your saddle? You can have a different bridle colour to your saddle but if you are planning to compete in high levels that might not be a good idea. If you are also looking to buy a saddle that colour I can say that it will definitely be hard! Anyways goodluck!!

·
Super Moderator
11,981 Posts
I'd figured out why she has her mouth open to begin with.

Could be her teeth. Could be the bit. Could be the hands on the reins. Figure out the why and try to solve the problem that way first before jumping to a short cut that used improperly could create more issues down the line.

There wouldn't be an issue finding saddles this color. As matching bridles to saddles is a given for most, the manufacturer is not going to produce tack in a color that can't be coordinated for showing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PrancerPony:
The brand is a Derby Originals Paris. Daisy's color is a medium palomino. I do not ride her in the saddle I have as it doesn't fit her so I am going to try to sell it. I am not planning on competing as I don't have any access to any horse trailer.

QtrBel:
I have had everything checked out with Daisy. Also I have been riding for 20+ years and I have used a flash on Daisy before.

I am keeping my eyes out for a saddle but of right now I am not in serious search for one.

·
Super Moderator
14,122 Posts
Looks nice, but do your homework about quality of the equipment. :cautious:
Derby Originals is also Tahoe Tack..
I bought that brand,...what appeared really nice and quality to have it be not very nice after a few uses...
It was supposed to be a show bridle only, was not super expensive but not cheap either...buyer beware.

Other thing is you know that color is not lasting with perspiration and sweat from horse and you touching it it shall darken and possibly not over-all but spotty and splotchy {what mine did}.
If you have had her in a flash noseband before...
I would instead consider this flash attachment or
It is available in different finished colors.
While you are checking those links do check the assortment of bridles they offer...there are offerings in that same price range you are looking guaranteed.
Getting away from needing a "flash" bridle opens up many more choices in better quality in your price range.
To me, the color is not staying unless you purchase biothane or synthetic, otherwise it will darken so don't buy it for that reason.

I would save my money & not buy that bridle and save a bit more and buy something known to be quality tack.
To me, it also says a lot about the quality of it when that brand and the other subsidiaries of that company are not carried in any online catalog from Dover Saddlery, Stateline Tack, Jeffers Equine, Chick Saddlery or Riding Warehouse...these are places that offer entry level and better tack of many brands, yet none of these places carries...says volumes to me on quality of the product.
Buyer Beware..
🐴...jmo...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like the color of the bridle and been having a hard time finding one the same color in my price range. $70 or less.

·
Super Moderator
14,122 Posts
You are not looking in the right places then...there are so many places that offer what you desire...
Better than entry level with a nice finishine look to them and daily use quality...
Here is one that is about that color since you seem set on wanting that...
About 60 bridles in H/J style less than $70.00... h/j is minus a flash attachment; then if you must have the flash about 20 of those bridles all in your price range.
Your Palominos light coloring would look wonderful offset "popping" with a contrast deep and rich actually.

The secret of your bridle should be to not overpower her fine face features, but enhance them so it shows her delicate bone structure is my thought.
I would not put her in "light" but the richer browns, reddish brown with either squared brow and noseband or fancy stitched.
I would be hesitant to do padded as they often are very wide and that would overwhelm her delicateness to my eye.

Do look further as you will be disappointed in my opinion. What looks wonderful, in reality was not in my experience.
I googled "English bridles less than $70.00 and had so many appear....
Read carefully and look very carefully at hardware, finished edges, stitching...
Good luck.
🐴...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would actually go with a darker color. Since you have a palomino she'd look fantastic in oakbark or havana. I am worried about why she opens her mouth. What kind of bit do you have her in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love the color of the bridle. But I always am a bit skeptical of all the straps which are pressing on the bit. I got this one secondhand from a friend. I really feel, or think to feel, a real change in the comfort of my horse!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love the color! I don't have firsthand experience with Derby Originals/Paris Tack, but the very low prices I've seen them sell for would concern me, as you often get what you pay for, and cheap leather and construction can be a safety issue.

Personally, in that price range, I'd go with a higher quality used bridle. If shopping online, I'd try to find a reputable brand as well so the quality isn't as much of a guessing game. I believe a well made used bridle is a great bang for your buck, and both you and your horse will be much happier (and maybe even safer). I've had really stiff cheap bridles when I was younger and they were never worth it. My horses seemed to find them uncomfortable, the reins were stiff and uncomfortable for me to hold (I have a picture somewhere where the excess of my reins stood straight up because the reins were so stiff), they never really got to a decent condition no matter what I did to them (and didn't take oil due to the "painted on" finish), and some of them were so poorly put together they presented a safety issue. The last thing you want is tack breaking/failing during a ride.

I've found some really great deals on used bridles online. Saved searches on eBay, online consignment shops, and Google (though you sometimes have to really dig deep) have all been great, same with my local consignment shop. I've found older Crosbys, Bevals, an old English-made Crump, Northrun, Courbette, Collegiate, Somerset, etc. Just ask for plenty of pictures to assess the condition. The color you're wanting may be harder to find used (and it really is a nice color; I wish the lighter leather would come back, along with lighter contrasting padding like the Pessoa Legacy bridles had!) because most bridles darken with age and unfortunately the trend right now is extremely dark leather so many are oiled dark, but I think the much higher quality leather is a worthwhile tradeoff. I have a few bridles that are either the color of the bridle in your OP or started out that way but darkened with use and cleaning/conditioning, but unfortunately don't know of anything new that would be of decent quality that would be in your price range. I think the closest would be Exselle, which is made by the factory that made Crosby tack for Miller's (very good quality for the price, though I think their bridles start at around $100; I have seen a few old stock ones pop up on eBay now and again, though).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts