The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Can't say as I have seen that. Resting, yes, but lifting? Nope. Maybe someone is defensive of their food and getting ready to kick? I'd be leary.

·
Registered
48 Posts
is it like they r just lifting their front hoof and holding it? Cuz if it is i have known several horses that do this... I don't think its anything serious but I don't know why they do it.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
I know quite a few horses who paw (mine being one of them) or knock their grain buckets with their knees while eating. I think its just anticipation/excitement.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
There was an arab at the barn where I used to board who did that. Owner/BO said it was just an excitement thing.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I think it's an excitement thing as well. My TB/Shire cross paws at her bucket while she's eating. I think it just tastes good :D

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
It's begging. Dixie, a mare at the barn, does it when she's being fed, or wating to be fed, and when she's being saddled.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
26,875 Posts
I have no idea why they do it. But I think I know what you are talking about, I had a pony that used to do it:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Oh well, do I feel stupid:oops: I was thinking of their hind feet only...

Still and all, I don't know why some horses do it. I have seen pawing, which I don't allow, but I have not ever seen picking it up and holding. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Indigo ususally will go and pick up his back leg, and do a small little kick, but he also does that with his back legs when you need to pick them

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I just read an article about this recently! (can't remember where...) they do it when they're reeeeallly excited or particularly happy about their food! :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
A friend of mine has a horse that does this. Too funny. He lifts one front leg, shifts his weight, then changes legs, back and forth. Only when eating grain. You can almost hear him 'singing'... "I love my grain....so good...love my grain"! lol

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my pony started it when i taught him to pick up his feet by giving him a treat everytime he picked up his hoof for me. Now whenever he sees me he lifts his front leg and does his low growl, as if he is begging. I know if seen lots of horses do that, i was just wondering if anyone knew the reason why. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
244 Posts
My friends horse does that. If you put him in his tie stall and then bring his grain he will lift up his front left leg and wait. He does it because he is begging. He will also do it randomly if he is waiting for her. He has done it while she was setting up barrels and he was watching her. It is really cute.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.