The Horse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
277 Posts
I've seen that video and it is very interesting. About a month ago I went to a free horse clinic hosted by a man that trained under Oscar Scarpati. There is another clinic on Sunday hosted by another man that trained with Oscar Scarpati. So I see a lot of it around here. But they don't do barefoot lol!! It was very interesting at the clinic the man worked with 3 very scared wild horses in just 9 hours was riding them and trotting around the arena. I just loved it!

·
Super Moderator
11,019 Posts
Cristobal, the son, hung out at a polo club I was at for a few weeks. He was a good rider. He wasn't there to work. He just knew a lot of the Argentines who played.

The first blm horse my kids got maybe 27 years ago was very much like Miracle. He ended up with really good ground manners. I didn't let my kids go past ground driving. And he went on to make a decent saddle horse. He is where I invented my "stupid on a stick." A glove filled with plastic sacks taped to a broom stick. I'm limber, but not that level of limber!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I think a lot of people don't realize how aggressive wild horses can be when faced with the unknown. I think standing on one leg doesn't exactly give you much ability to quickly move away from the horse, if the horse resists. I don't see very much retreat or release in that video, by the human. Not sure that is something to aspire too. It looks dangerous, and perhaps too much like a performance. Now I want to see him try that with a mare, that wants to kick your head off. Would he be so successful then? How much of the video is edited out prior to being published? It took me a year to build a relationship with my mustang, but I believe in introducing things step by step and building a foundation first. It may have worked with this particular horse, but I wonder how much the horse actually retained afterwards?

·
Registered
I have 2 horses: a 25 yr. old Paso Fino mare, Gypsy, and a 3 yr. 10 mo. old Arabian gelding.
35 Posts
I think a lot of people don't realize how aggressive wild horses can be when faced with the unknown. I think standing on one leg doesn't exactly give you much ability to quickly move away from the horse, if the horse resists. I don't see very much retreat or release in that video, by the human. Not sure that is something to aspire too. It looks dangerous, and perhaps too much like a performance. Now I want to see him try that with a mare, that wants to kick your head off. Would he be so successful then? How much of the video is edited out prior to being published? It took me a year to build a relationship with my mustang, but I believe in introducing things step by step and building a foundation first. It may have worked with this particular horse, but I wonder how much the horse actually retained afterwards?
I agree with your post. The man is talented and flexible (like, wow), but this seemed like a performance for the crowd. I didn't see much understanding by the horse and taking time, as you say, step by step to allow the horse to process and accept and understand, not just tolerate in the moment. Bearfoot? Maybe just showing off.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
You know, not a fan. He puts himself in danger way too many times. (standing on one leg, being barefoot, etc) And I often times do not see proper timing of cues. (releasing at the right time, or holding position so the horse doesn't flip out)

Yes, looks to have most of what is going on for a good show.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts