The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived at the yard last night to see a web link posted on our notice board.. well, door. After my rider, I asked my trainer to explain to my dad, and then translate to me.

Basically, when we had last years bird flu outbreak, a lot of vets handed out antibiotics when they shouldn't have done. Bad vets.. but lets be honest, this happens a fair amount- I know people with stashes of bute for crying out loud.

NOW the goverment out here are trying to set this in to place, for all animals.

Either you go to your vet, or your vet comes to you. Your vet prescribes what the animal needs.. we're talking from wormer to emergency painkiller here guys. You get a prescription, take it to you're local HUMAN chemist/pharmacist (Apotheke for us) hand in the prescription, they order the stuff in. If its in the morning, you can generally pick the meds up in the afternoon. If its an afternoon, next day. Sundays, everywhere is closed out here, same for bank holidays... obviously vets are on emergency calls, but then what happens when you need the meds?

We have until 9th March to sign a petition which I'm sending round EVERYWHERE.

Is this just me, or is it the most ridiculous thing ever. This includes annual, routine injections. I said well I know a lot of Brits out here that are already nervous going to a German vets as they don't understand them, so then they have to go to an pharmacist as well, and then back to the vets?

Also, that means DOUBLE call out fees, as we aren't allowed to administer injections ourselves.

I'm HOPING so much that this doesn't go through, or if it does, they see sense and vets are allowed to carry emergency doses... but then, what do people class as an emergency etc... :evil::evil::evil:

Someone didn't think this through!:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
863 Posts
That's like having someone in the ER having a seizure, but the doctors can't give the medicine and have to talk to other people about it! Ugh, that will be so much more work, and it will cost everyone a bunch of money, and it's a big waste of time. I hope you get your petition signed!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks luby.. me too..

I don't understand what is going through the mids of people trying to do this.. yes, handing out meds to people that don't need them, and then they're being a shortage- I can understand that, but this is going to cause SO much problems.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
So vets would not, in theory, be able to give a colicking horse something like banamine on the spot? This sounds like an idiotic idea.

I'd better not get started on the disastrous state of health care in the US, which is slightly less disastrous than it was, thanks to Obama. I still would rather stay in Britain. Yay NHS!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So vets would not, in theory, be able to give a colicking horse something like banamine on the spot? This sounds like an idiotic idea.

I'd better not get started on the disastrous state of health care in the US, which is slightly less disastrous than it was, thanks to Obama. I still would rather stay in Britain. Yay NHS!
In theory, yes... this is why I'm pulling my hair out... if they're allowed to carry emergency supply, and get 10 colickers in a day, and 9 use the meds up... what then? Sorry horse no10... can't give you the correct drugs, OR pts.. I;m not allowed to carry the drugs -headdesk-

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Wow. That sounds dangerous. I'll cross my fingers for you that doesn't go through. No way would I want to wait 24 hours or more if one of them NEEDED meds. That's just insane.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to send the link round to everyone I know in my area and let it spread... I just can't see how they would implement this without
a) numbers of animal deaths rising (unnecessary ones)
b) people stop getting annual injections, wormers, check ups etc as it'll cost too much and too much hassle.

We'll see!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
This is crazy and something thats gonna cost so much and be so pathetic. When has anyone bought horse bute and did something with it? I think 'how dare they do this' the fact your horse might have to wait 24hours in pain. what if it broke its like and the vet didnt even have any injection to put it out of its misery? so would the horse just have to lie there for 24hours in intense pain?!? until it took its last breath or someone shot it? this sounds like a very stupid thing and I really hope your petition works and they dont go through with it.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not my petition so to speak, just a big one going round..

and this is ALL animals too.. so your dog gets hit by a car... see where I'm coming from? Its a horrific idea that some fool has thought of, and is clearly not an animal owner!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
So if a horse is colicing...you would need to wait 24 hours to get any sort of meds...?

That's ridiculous and should not go through, that is unsafe and unfair to the horse's.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
446 Posts
Oh my... WHAT?!?!
This is ridiculous!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a mug with your signature on it... ahaha (okay back to topic..)

Yep, tell me about it makes me maaadd. Will be sorting links out tonight and sending round!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah... you aren't allowed to administer injections yourself, and any medication, even wormers (I think.. pretty sure..) you have to order through the vet. Boooo. Well, I suppose if they mess up I can sue..?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Isnt a vets JOB to administer medicine and know when and how to use it? To me this sounds like the vets are getting a big part of their job taken away from some control freak that doesnt know better, and it seems very very dangerous for animals.
if i lived there i would be so mad. Heck, im in america and im steaming. Do people not think these days?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That's ridiculous. I'll have to ask my trainer from the UK about it. Is it for all of GB or just one area...?
The part of the UK that is in fact Germany. :p The wonderful Tory government is trying to ruin the human health care system but as far as I know, nothing has changed with regards to critters.

Duffy is British but lives in Germany.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts