The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was basically just wondering if anybody else's horse does this or if mine is..erm..special..

Today, my aunt pulled up to her house and looked in the pasture and my horse was laying down with all four legs straight in the air like rigor mortis or something. She wasn't rolling or anything, but just laying there. My aunt called her name a few times and she didn't resppond for a minute or so.

Should I be worried about her, this isn't something I've ever seen her..or any other horse..do.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Your horse is special :wink::lol:

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Maybe she just liked the warm sun on her tummy

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nah, she's not special.... My cousins Morgan does this just because she can sometimes... And I've seen mine laying in odd uncomfortable looking positions, but as long as their not against a tree and unable to move, I don't get to worried about it

·
Registered
372 Posts
LOL. That would've been such a weird sight. The only large animal I've seen with its legs in the air was a dead moose on the side of the road (yep, I live in Canadaland).

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The only horse I've seen do that is my neighbor's miniature horse. I was walking my dog one day past their field and saw her laying like that, knocked on neighbor's door and told him, went with him to check (he's not very horse savvy) and sure enough she was colicking because she had never been dewormed :(

She was okay though after a call to the vet & banamine... maybe your girl was slightly gassy today?

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Hahaha that sounds hilarious (once you figured out she wasn't dead or something first, of course!)!
If it makes you feel any better, I used to know a mare that loved to have her belly scratched. she would literally lay down on the ground and pull herself along with her front legs as a way to scratch her belly herself. It was a daily thing too, she was constantly on the ground, moving like a weird palomino paint turtle. Good times. Haha

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I have some very humorous mental pictures going on from this thread. Including the dead moose:rofl:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If she does it again you'll have to snap a picture since i'm sure it's even funnier in person!!! My boy was laying on his side this winter with all four feet straight out and I would've swore he was dead. I screamed his name, ran thru out electric fence (receiving multiple shocks on the way), tripped over my own feet and in the process of scrambling back up to run for him he picked his head up and looked at me like "Hey Mom, what on earth are you doing?" I literally tackled him back down in a hug bawling my eyes out. It was one of those moves straight out of a cheap romance movie lol.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Holly Cow!!! That would freak me out. I'd be running out there like a tuna outta water or something haha. My horses are rarely laying down, the only time they do is when they're out on the pasture and just trying to get their individual 15 minutes of REM sleep. When we leave them in the arena when the pastures are wet, they don't lay down in there, they like grass and dirt rather than the lime stone we have.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Hahaha that sounds hilarious (once you figured out she wasn't dead or something first, of course!)!
If it makes you feel any better, I used to know a mare that loved to have her belly scratched. she would literally lay down on the ground and pull herself along with her front legs as a way to scratch her belly herself. It was a daily thing too, she was constantly on the ground, moving like a weird palomino paint turtle. Good times. Haha

Hahaha I have video of my friends horse who does a similar thing, he goes back and forth on his tummy to scratch it. too funny. My guy lays down and shimmys along, he got stuck under his paddock gate last week (half in and half out) trying to escape. Fortunately he is very calm and just layed there till the bo rescued him. I wish she had taken a picture lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.