The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not the silly little pictures of you being ignorant and putting your horses' hooves on your heads, hearts, stomachs, laying down underneath them and just general 'omg y r u doing this' poses that you think are so cool, when all they are is really dangerous, and frankly stupid (being an equestrian is dangerous enough- why up the ante?).

Having real trust in your horse is being terrified of doing something but doing it anyway because you know your horse will take care of you.

Brief background; I've been riding Rush for almost 2 years (in October). While he's never done anything dangerous to make me scared of riding him, I do know my limits. He is a lot of horse, and while he doesn't run off with me, he is the typical high strung saddle seat horse that knows his job and is ready to go. He likes to stretch out at the canter (well, hand gallop. We're working on the whole 'getting him to canter' thing.).

I've ridden bareback before, w/t/c, but they were the older, slower lesson horses, or the one I leased before Rush, who didn't have as much go. Like I said, he's never run off on me, and he stops when I tell him too, but the second you put your leg into him, there is no "Hi, are you sure? Okay, if you are sure."- it's just "WHEE LET'S GO :) !!!!!". I was always afraid I'd flop off his back before he could figure out something was wrong. I'm not the strongest bare back rider, but slowly built up my confidence enough to trot him bareback, which much to my surprise, he went from big bad CEP freight train trot to little tiny baby western pleasure trot, but I wasn't feeling risky enough to canter him, since I wasn't sure if he'd slow down for the canter too, or would go into his normal canter/hand gallop, which I can sit just fine in the saddle, but without one would be a different story.

So anyway, my friends and I were having a party out at the barn and all riding bareback, and when the one girl who'd just gotten her (even more high strung) horse about three weeks ago and survived cantering him, it gave me the small little push I needed to finally cue Rush.

He didn't kill me :)

[Video removed by a moderator since it was linked from Instagram which is social media site like Facebook. Please take a look at our Linking Policy, social network sites like that aren't encouraged on Horseforum.com. OP, please uploade the video for example on Youtube if you want to link it here].

^ Click for video. It's like 15 seconds long.

I want critique only if you do/have ridden/shown saddle seat arabians. Otherwise, please don't (and yes, my heels could of been waaaay more down, but I was terrified and more focused on keeping my thighs glued to him).

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
That is a nice flat seat horse. I grew up around the saddleseat scene, I have close friends who go to Arabian nationals every year for saddleseat. My entire 4h club was all Arabian and half arab saddleseat people. An there I am on my western pleasure bred quarter horse.

Anyway for the first time riding him bareback at the lope, congrats. The only thing I want to point out is at the end you have a death grip on his face, and when you're transitioning down you're bouncing. When you're bouncing on him, if you put it in slow motion, you can see so are your hands and your horse sticks his nose out to avoid this pressure. Try not to balance yourself on the reins so much next time, but I know you were nervous and that is why.

But like I said, nice horse.

·
Registered
49,245 Posts
it's not that your hands are high, but that your arm is kind of locked, so like delete said, it makes it hard on the mouth.

actually, if the hrose raises his head, you can move your hands up to maintain straight line contact from elbow to bit, not keep them down to try and pull him down. lowering your hands to 'pull' a stargazing hrose's head down is never helpful, but you sure do see that a lot. it only makes the bit pull down hard on the bars, and the hrose will react by hollowing out the back and trying the harder to throw their head up.

congrats !
I am a terrible bareback rider, so I appreciated how hard it can be to get past that fear.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Wow, he's got such a beautiful canter!

I would be riding that all the time.....probably in a saddle, ha ha! But that is the nicest little canter. I've never owned a horse that cantered that level and slow. I would definitely have fun with that. Congratulations! If a person is going to canter bareback, he looks like the horse to do it on. :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bedhead was bad and forgot to reread the rules before posting, so that's what she gets. BUT, THE VIDEO IS HERE IN ALL IT'S YOUTUBE GLORY~

Edit: I was about ready to pull my hair out trying to post a direct video rather than a hyperlink but thank god for other folks who know what's up + the quote button

10/10 Reccomend full screening because Youtube tried to fit a rectangular video in a square box.

.Delete.; I will definitely have to work on improving my balance and not have the death grip on his face when I ride bareback. Thanks~

tinyliny; I might have to ask my trainer on that one; he's not star gazing, that's where he's trained to hold it. However, I'll have to make a mental note to actively make sure I'm pulling back, not down.

trailhorserider; Ah thanks ouo But this is probably going to be the only time he'll canter this slow- he thinks he race horse 98% of the time, but apparently likes to baby me when I'm riding bareback!

·
Registered
49,245 Posts
I did not mean to say you should "pull back". Stay centered and think if closing ir stopping your hands. Neither pulling back nor dragging down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not the silly little pictures of you being ignorant and putting your horses' hooves on your heads, hearts, stomachs, laying down underneath them and just general 'omg y r u doing this' poses that you think are so cool, when all they are is really dangerous, and frankly stupid (being an equestrian is dangerous enough- why up the ante?).
#dontbeafruit

·
Registered
486 Posts
trust = my horse didn't kill me yay!!! :)

well, actually.. i guess so. :) It's just that statement makes me realize we are all crazy horse people.

Congrats!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.