The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right well...this happened March 2011 so ages ago now, but this is why you put up electric fencing as well as normal fencing between horses if you don't have a hedge/wall/post and rail

this is after the vet had been

if you want to know the whole story send me a message

My darling pony made a full recovery- cantering about in her field 3 days after :)

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Ouchies! Poor baby. Fence cuts are the worst.

·
Registered
14,229 Posts
OWIES!

But electric fencing isn't the cure all. I came home not too long ago and discovered one of the stallions had not only tried to mount a mare through the fence, he'd taken down the electric fencing too. I have gone back to the old horsemens thinking of 2 fences between horses & roads being the only mostly safe way to keep 'em contained.

On a lighter note, Sir Stallion learned his lesson for now, he was stuck on the gate and couldn't move until I came and 'rescued' him. He was tall enough that he didn't get all scraped up but he wasn't real comfy either!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I agree with DA- it won't fix everything. It works really well for lots of horses, but some horses just have no respect for it, and seem to find the weak spots every time. My horse for example, is in an electric fence, and he'll get right up to it when I go see him, but he never tries to bust through it, or test his boundaries. My trainer's horse on the other hand, will literally walk up to the fence, back up, and gallop through it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know it doesn't work for all horses, but flicka is PETRIFIED of the stuff, and the mare on the other side of the fence is way to old and arthritic to jump it

·
Registered
715 Posts
We put it up for the simple fact that if we dont. they are constantly shoving heads etc through and over fence to get the "greener" grass on the other side. Ruins fences

·
Registered
218 Posts
Agreed, two of my horses seem to be completely immune to electric fences and bust right through them.

They are definitely worth it if they work for your horses though!

Poor pony, sorry she had to go through that! no fun!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Daughter's horse went to the trainer's last spring. The trainer frequently uses electric tape to set up temporary grazing areas, and always uses it on top of her fences. We took my mare with us for an evaluation when we dropped off daughter's horse. When we loaded mine back in the trailer (got a great eval from the trainer, BTW!) we looked up and here came daughter's horse - she had already escaped from her pen.

We caught her up and put her back, and had no more than got to the truck, when here she came running up to us again! Caughter her back up, put her back in the pen, and walked off. This time, trainer's hubby was hiding with a camera to see how she was getting out.

Stupid (smart?) little mare was getting down on her knees and climbing under the tape. There were three tapes around that enclosure - all hot. Crazy mare got low enough to get under the bottom tape. The only time it touched her was when she started to stand up, and it brushed her rump!

Poor little mare had to spend most of her stay at the trainer's in the pipe corral. She was a real escape artist!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.