The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, basically, I want to teach my gaited horse to trot. I know that sounds like heresy, but I am not a rider of gaited horses.

He will trot when I lunge him, but as soon as someone gets on him, he seems to forget how.

I have been trained as an eventer and would love to event with him, but I need him to trot in order to do the dressage tests.

My trainer and I have just recently started to ride him and if we can't get him to trot, we would at least like him to stop pacing.

Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You could fight all that selective breeding, but why don't you just get another horse? Not every horse is suitable for everything and there is no shame in saying "this isn't the horse I want" rather than going through all the work to take something away that has been specifically bred into them. Somewhere somebody is looking at thier horse saying "I sure wish I had a nice gaited horse".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to take it away. I just want him to learn to give me the gait that I want when I ask for it. I don't actually foresee him giving me the trot, but I know he can do it (lunge line).

I also love this horse and can't replace him as I do not have the means to purchase another horse.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Great theres nothing like finding the square hole for the square peg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.