The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to see a thoroughbred on sunday (i might loan him)
He has never been raced but the owner says he can get hyper.

Do thoroughbreds bolt even if they have never been raced?
I'm a little worried about bolting...

(The thoroughbred is a bay gelding,16hh and is 7 years old)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Honestly, any horse can bolt, at anytime, regardless of it's history.

Go take a test ride on him in an arena or other enclosed space. See how he is at each gait WTC. If you like him, great! If not, keep looking. You don't want to be stuck with a horse you don't like.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I agree with the above poster. I have 2 Thoroughbred mares on opposite ends of the personality spectrum. One is extremely lazy and one is extremely hot and hyper. While neither one of them have bolted, the likelihood of them bolting is about the same, regardless. The hyper one was never even race trained and she's still hot. It's just a TB thing (sometimes).

Just because he is "hyper" doesn't mean he has or will bolt. My mare is about the hottest type of TB you can find and she has never given any indication of bolting.

Go take a test ride in an arena. If he does well, take him out in the open. Just make him and yourself feel totally comfortable. Thoroughbreds are very reactive to their riders. If you are nervous, he will be too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
All good advise. I would add that after you've tried him and before you commit, try to get a month's trial. That way you will have a chance to try him at your own pace and over a period of time. You can get a good idea about his personality and how he works for you.

Be certain to take a knowledgeable person with you when you go to try him. Sometimes an "uninterested" 3rd party will see things that you may not.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
^ a monthes trial is a smart idea! then maybe if you have a trainer they can also help tell you if you guys are well mtached.

my first horse was a TB, he was lazy, and whenever i got unbalanced he would stop and make sure i wasnt going to fall off. My friend QH started bucking and bolting anytime we wanted to fool around. it all depends on the horse, they all can bolt easily, but some horses will be safer then others :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
When on the track, most thoroughbreds are eating huge amounts of high energy feed all the time, combined with medications and supplements for joints, etcetera. This gives people the impression that all thoroughbreds are "crazy", which is not true. They are very smart, but if you give them a few monthes to get those substances out of their system, then you'll find most to be very docile.
For example, when our newest OTTB, Rose, came to us, she was absolutely insane. We threw her out to pasture for a year (working on groundmanners at the same time, of course), and let her her grow up a little. Now? She is the laziest, cuddliest, wimpiest horse ever. But she's willing. Most of the time. Like any other horse, she has days we're she's spooky, stubborn, or feeling like she can do anything she wants.

Are some thoroughbreds crazy, even without octaine feed? Yes, but so can a quarter horse or draft horse.
If you know the reasons why the horse is bolting, when and how to prepare for a bolt, and how to stop or prevent one, then it shouldn't be a problem even if a horse still decides to run every now and then. Every horse has the flight instinct, and some are just more keen to use it with a rider on his back.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
We had two thoroughbreds come up to us this past summer straight off the track. (My fiance's brother races them in Az.) You would be hard pressed to know that. They were very laid back. We used them for trail riding and I even used one to herd in a bull that had gotten lose. The only thing going against them was that they were over 16 hands tall...guess it made hanging on much more appealing, rofl!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I went to see him on sunday and I like him a lot
but I couldn't ride him because of the snow and ice (I'm in the UK and where the horse is kept there is no indoor arena) I am going to try him out in a week or two...thanks everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.