The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoroughbred Pedigree?

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Xitania 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am absolutely not knowledgeable about Pedigrees of Thoroughbreds and seeking some help.
The mare of a friend of mine recently gave birth to a gorgeous filly who is going to be my competition prospect.
Just simply out of curiosity I am looking to find out if she has good breeding in her or not, what she would be worth (not intending to sell the filly) and if it would be worth breeding her in the future. The more info I can get about her Pedigree the better.

Text Purple Line Font Parallel

:runninghorse2:

See less See more
#3 ·
All in her pedigree are race horses. Not to say she would not do well as a competition prospect but she is not bred as one. You could look for progeny reports and see if any close kin are doing well in the disciplines you are looking to compete in. If it is jumping you are interested in then I'd say find a horse with talent that you know loves the job.

Reactions: Xitania
#4 ·
The horse has beautiful blood lines back a few generations...
I'm not sure about closer.

Secretariat was a exceptional racehorse, one of histories best...
He also produced phenomenal hunters, dressage horses and competitive cross-country athletes.
So did Gone West...

But that is blood stock of the 80's or so...old today and out of many direct lineage displays.
I don't recognize names of close relations sadly...
As others said, look at the names of some of the registered horses taking show accolades and see if you can trace their records, their pedigrees back.
Thoroughbreds have fallen out of favor with many for competition horses and gone toward the "draft-crosses" today of warmbloods.

Her breeding is old-world classic names of racing blood, what she can do herself to make a name and reason to reproduce from her is all on her and you as you campaign her and if you decide to breed her choosing a complimentary stallion hoping for the best to appear.
:runninghorse2:....

#6 ·
Garswood

The only good close relative I know she has is Garswood and Dutch Art, as they are very popular race horses in the UK.
I live on a small island and mostly interested in show jumping. Our level here is not that high however saying that I am looking to take her to Sicily and Italy eventually to compete her in Show jumping there.

She is definitely very athletic and seems to like poles, so much so that while playing a bit with her she jumped 2 60cm high jumps by herself while she was running around the field.

Her mother was a complete racing dud although she was bought for quite a pricey amount. Due to several failed racing attempts she ended up being sold to my friend for some dressage and show jumping.

How can I find out if certain offspring's are doing well in equestrian disciplines or not?

#8 ·
I have an Elusive Quality granddaughter and I have a lot to do with ottbs :) My mare's paternal grandsire is Galileo, and her maternal grandsire is Elusive Quality. She's an exceptional jumper with the best work ethic I've ever seen. Unfortunately she has EQ's low neck set, but that's not the end of the world in a jumper.

A lot of the time, good racing pedigrees are also good sport pedigrees.

#9 ·
On Allbreed in the top, left corner there is a clicky called Reports. If you click there is a drop down list. Progeny is the second. All progeny recorded on Allbreed are listed. You can click each horse and see if there is info. If there is an " i" in a circle appears above the pedigree. Another option is to google the name with thoroughbred after it to cut out unrelated information.

#10 ·
The sire seems to be standing as more a sport horse sire. Elusive Qualitys tend to have lovely hair and good tempers, although most are limousines. Should make a nice competition type however I would never ever ever breed that horse for racing, if you were considering that.

#11 ·
Elusive Qualitys tend to have lovely hair and good tempers, although most are limousines.
My EQ is only in a 75" blanket at 17hh, and she is WIDE as well as tall - but she's a granddaughter and maybe I got lucky? EQ himself is rather long and has a low set neck, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had a tendency to pass on those traits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.