Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya can anyone help,
I am looking to loan a thoroughbred mare, the owner has rescued her in may 2013 the previous owner left her to go hungry in the field so is now very under weight, she has also a foal 5 months ago she has put on weight since being with her new owner but not much can someone tell me
1 what is the best feed and exercise to build the muscles up
2 if the muscle loss can cause any long term damage
thanks liza

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
In the 7 months her new owner has had her, she should have put all her weight back on and then some. Doesn't sound like a horse I'd want to take out on lease. If she's still thin after 7 months of proper feeding, the vet needs to be called out.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Well she shouldn't necessarily look 100% if she was bought severely underweight and pregnant, since if she had it 5 months ago she was bought in her last stages of pregnancy (when nutrition is extremely vital) and she has likely been nursing it since then. Even feeding her as free choice hay and good grain may not be enough to help her recover 100% in 7 months. HOWEVER, she should not look as bad as she did when she first came to the lady, and she should look markedly improved.

It took about 9 months for my emaciated TB to finally be at the perfect weight, but she also had some other difficulties (severe injury and illness as well as catching up on growth) that inhibited faster recovery.

How underweight does this mare appear to be? 100 lbs? 200? Is she just ribby or can you see her spine, hips, neck bones? Do you have pictures of her?

Either way if she is more than a bit ribby, I would not lease her at this time. It is her owner's responsibility to make sure she mare is in great health before attempting to lease her out or sell her.

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
373 Posts
My TB who came to me quite thin has really blossomed on a pretty simple diet of free access to hay and pasture plus twice daily feedings of a ration balancer + beet pulp/alfalfa pellets. These all may be options for you if you decide to take the mare on. I've also added rice bran and oil to his feed now that the weather is colder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.