The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you buy this horse for 1,500 dollars?

PS I don't own the picture.

I plan on doing western pleasure and hunter under saddle with him, maybe jumping later on. He's 2 in that picture, 16hh. Now he is 3, his legs seem even longer. He is mostly TB, if I remember right.. He was born & raised where I ride. He's pretty good already (from what I've seen when other people have ridden him), and has been through 1 other owner.

Is his confirmation good?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I don't like the slope of his back... He looks too downhill? I'm no expert, don't get me wrong, but judging from what people have said about my own horses, that's what I think.

And I also don't think he'd do too well in Western Pleasure, he just doesn't look like a WP, in my opinion.

·
Registered
924 Posts
To me he looks butt high and roach backed which are both conformational flaws. He also looks a little steep in the shoulder and hip as well. I really don't like the way his back/withers/shoulder/neck tie together at all but maybe he grew into it? It can be hard to judge suitability on babies because they get gangly phases and then the even out and you go WOW I didn't expect that. That being said, I would not personally buy him based on that picture for any price. If you try him out and he does exactly what you want and you click then that's entirely up to you as it appears he won't be working overly hard or doing any high level jumping or other strenuous work or competitions. A more recent picture and/or video of him being ridden would help us more accurately help you with confo and suitability questions.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
his back looks funny to me too... maybe its a bit roach back?
i think he could do well in WP, but i dont know that much about it, but from what ive seen he looks like one. except he might have trouble with the small steps? TB's usually have long strides, haha the opposite of a WP horse. but he is cute :)

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
He's certainly leggy! And butt-high (I don't like the feeling of always riding downhill I tend to get when I ride horses with this type of downhill conformation). He doesn't have much depth to his heart girth either.

He looks more like an English prospect to me than western. At least I can't imagine him in a WP head position.

But the most important thing about a horse (in my opinion) is disposition and training. A horse with a good disposition and good training is well worth $1500 in my mind. :) So take training and disposition into account too.

PS. I really don't see the roach back everyone is talking about. His neck is a bit short though. I could see him as a hunter but not as a western horse.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If he was only 2 in that picture, I believe there is a possibility that he could've just been outgrowing his "baby conformation" I think we would need a picture of him at this age to really tell.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
The most important things in assessing suitability for pleasure horses and lower level competitive horses are 1.) temperment and 2.) training and experience. Conformation runs a distant third.

If this horse has a good temperment, has been well and kindly started, and has some experience under saddle, then he may well be worth $1500. It all depends on how far along he is in his training. In this market, for $1500., I'd want him to be pretty solid.

I do agree with the other posters that he doesn't look anything like a WP horse. If you truly *want* to do WP, it would be foolish to start with anything other than a QH of the WP type.

Try to get a photo of his confo now as a three year old, that will give you more useful critiques.

·
Registered
436 Posts
TBs don't even begin to physically mature until about 6yo, whereas other breeds begin to mature between 3 and 4. I would have to see a more recent pic of him to really be a judge. I will say though, he is really light-boned.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
TBs don't even begin to physically mature until about 6yo, whereas other breeds begin to mature between 3 and 4. I would have to see a more recent pic of him to really be a judge. I will say though, he is really light-boned.
TB's are bred to mature more quickly then any other breed. but i dont think theres that much of a diffference, only a little one :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm OK. Well actually his frame in WP is amazing, as hard as that is to believe. I am going to get a pic myself, OUT of that uneven outdoor arena, tomorrow morning (hopefully).

It'll be almost impossible for me to get a pic of him out of that "horse mode" because my camera sucks.. But I can get some of him on cross ties.

I am really anti-QH, only because they don't stand out. You could get the loudest red roan or frame horse, and really, they look the same to me. I once took an untrained Haflinger in a western pleasure class, our first week ever riding western together without lessons, and I placed 3rd. And I think we only placed because she stood out more than others. :) So I'm trying to lean more towards something that stands out, and his legs really do stand out to me.

But really I don't know much about confirmation.. I'm gonna have to go google roach back XD And, is light boned bad?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I see classic TB. Withers and long legs.

At 2 its hard to tell anything...a current picture would help. He has some super long skinny legs lol but hey hes a TB. He is also butt high but he may have grown out of that...we really just need new pictures lol

He does look sorta pencil necked in that picture...i think that could be corrected with some proper work outs and neck muscling though.

As for what light boned means....it means a horse who has a light thin frame, this could mean he has a weaker bone structure or in this horses case (i believe) he has a typical TB build, light weight an skinny, thin possibly weak legs. Not sure I explained that well...but I tried lol anyone have a more clear explanation?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Conformation observations
  • butt high (usuing the technical term there :wink:)
  • bit over at the knee, or that might just be the picture angle.
  • big chest.
  • short neck.
  • nice, pretty, show quality head.
  • kind eyes.
  • feet look ok from what i can see too.
remember he could grow out of all of these things, he is only 3. If you think he is going well in the riding aspects you wish to persue then 1500 isnt bad (i live in england and horses are more expensive here so...). maybe you could haggle a little so somewhere between 1000 and 1500 would be fine IMO

·
Registered
436 Posts
TB's are bred to mature more quickly then any other breed. but i dont think theres that much of a diffference, only a little one :lol:

"The 2-year old Thoroughbreds had significantly quicker rates of dorsi-flexion of their fetlock joints than 3- (p=0.01), 4- (p=0.01), and 5-year old (p<0.01) Thoroughbreds following impact of the leading forelimb during moderate galloping (avg. 14m/s). Higher rates of dorsi-flexion in young Thoroughbreds may reflect immaturity (lack of stiffness) of the suspensory apparatus tissues."

Elsevier: Article Locator

The only point I was trying to make is that you cannot accurately judge such a young horse of the TB breed as there is a huge difference between the 2yo and the 3yo body.

And TBs do NOT develop as fast as other breeds, as they should correctly. TBs have been bred for their bone-plates to seal quicker, not to physically mature, but such is not always the case, which is why they are so prone to injury at a young age.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but he looks really short-backed. I can't even imagine my WP Show saddle on his back. It looks like it would go all the way back to his hips. It may be because of his long legs, but he looks disproportionately long in the legs and short in the neck and back. However, that may be the stage he was in at the time the picture was taken. JMO.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
He is def. cut but only 2 in the pictures .. I know that my TB grew all kinds in her 4-5 yr so I can imagine that an up to date pictures would be something we would need to see to give you an accurate critique :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. :) Well she was asking around 2,500. I can try and maybe get 1,250, but really the cost isn't bad. I'm allowed to do payments. The horse I am trading -- I paid 75, and she's giving me what's equal to 300 dollars (1 month board). Plus this little horse I have is un-usable to me, a Hackney pony cross foal.

This is in a pretty uneven outdoor riding arena, too.. It's a little hilly. Tomorrow morning I get to take pics when I try him out, maybe some of me on him & riding.

He's not for little shows, he's for bigger shows like All American Youth Show and things like that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok well I rode him, and he goes really easy, and his canter is so nice, so I bought him. I didn't get a chance to take pics, but I will soon, because I still want opinions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally, the only major fault I see is a bit down hill, which at 2.. could have changed drastically. For myself, I prefer a more compact build compared to a long back. I had a thoroughbred built VERY similar to this (all the way down to the some what long pasterns, short back, nice neck, and dainty legs) and he was the most naturally athletic horse I ever had the pleasure to work with.

I would love to see some action shots and updated conformation photos.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the owner told me he's not done growing, so his back end should end up lower than the withers. :) And really, he isn't that compact, his back is pretty long. His legs just make it look that way >.<

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
We would need better pictures.

It's true he is downhill but if you look at the fencing behind the horse, the photo is also not even which means he is not standing on even ground. Also, you said he was 2 in the picture, it's very likely he might have evened out since the picture was taken which means he will be less bum high.

I would really like to look at a recent picture of this guy.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.