The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,932 Posts
Ignore this. I'm using cubes. 🤦‍♀️

I'm using compressed grass/alfalfa mix. More grass than alfalfa. My horses are doing very well on it. I love that there's no waste, and it's easy to store.

It's locally milled. Sorry.

I do feed a flake of local junk hay around noon and a flake around 8 p.m. to each horse. Just for roughage.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
I'm not currently using it but have in the past. I found it to be very dusty and needed soaking to use it without a lot of dust and waste due to scattering in the breeze. If you soak the entire bale and serve it wet there is very little waste. I found it to be a good port in a storm but more trouble that I cared to be bothered with if other hay was available easily locally. It was good for a horse with heaves.

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
When it's available here, I buy it. I love that it takes up so little space and I don't have to stack it. Skidsteer uloads the pallet. I haven't had any problem with dust and this is mostly an alfalfa hay. Because this is shipped up here, it is more expensive, so that's the only drawback the cost. If it was around the same price as I can buy local hay, I would choose compressed over local.

·
Registered
12,572 Posts
My horses are over 25 and teeth are failing. I’ve been using Standlees Grab n Go timothy hay for several years as a top dressing on my regular grass hay.

Sometimes I will open a dusty bag but it’s not mold dust. I don’t soak the hay because where I live it will ferment in the heat/humidity before it all gets eaten. I do, however, spritz it with water, which dampens it down enough to settle any dust and to also make it easier for the horses swallow.

I go thru quite a few bags weekly. In 4-5 years, I have only had to take one bag of Standlees timothy hay back to TSC because both horses refused to eat it. I don’t feed alfalfa so I can’t speak to the quality of their chopped alfalfa.

Reactions: Palfrey

·
Super Moderator
17,808 Posts
By me, there are several varieties of the same brand in those same stores.
I like that 50 pounds is 50 pounds in weight.
Plus is it not get wet being it is shrink wrapped if its in the rain while unloading..
More expensive, yes...but for ease of use and I do use when we go to shows away from home it takes a fraction of the space in trailer or truck bed and again...if it gets wet not a big deal.
Those bales stack nice and make some good impromptu seating when I've forgotten the folding chairs home...
🐴...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use this but a version from a local mill/farm (it’s cheaper and slightly better quality)I add it to my horses feed since it takes less time to soak and adds some forage. I do know some bags will be dustier than others but since it’s soaked it’s not really a problem for me. If you don’t soak it the dustiness may be a problem. (I’m not sure how dusty this particular brand is since I’ve never used it.)

·
Registered
12,572 Posts
So how much hay does this make when you open it , if it is a 4 x 4 x8 bale ? Those weigh about 1700 to 2000 lbs ..
The bags weigh 40 pounds - 8 years ago I could have picked one up, these days Inhave to drag/pick it up to get it where I want it.

The timothy hay is compressed flakes that fall apart pretty easy. I go thru more than I should because Rusty & Duncan have old teeth that are wearing out. They eat that hay like I go thru a bag of Hershey’s Kisses.

It’s part of why I had DH drag the leaf mulcher out of storage and we started mulching my hay bales that are too stemmy for them. Which BTW, Rusty gets a five gallon bucket of that mulched hay on top of his regular hay and it has really helped him eat his hay thru the night. I sprinkle a small amount of the Standlees hay on top of the mulched hay to get him started eating when he comes in at night.

I can’t let the Big Guy not eat his hay so I had to get this figured out before winter, when he doesn’t have much in the way of quality pasture.

Yes it’s a big rigamarole but his back teeth are pretty bad and the vet can only grind so much off of them, He can graze ok because thankfully his front teeth are still good.

Duncan’s teeth aren’t as bad but he is coming 27 so they are worn and he could use the chewing help by feeding him hay that isn’t stemmy🤠🤠

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used small-baled hay for years and never had to throw away so much as a flake of it. It was beautiful hay, the best I've ever fed. I would be 4 pallets of wrapped bales and it would feed my 5 horses for exactly one month. Then I'd go back for more. I was limited b/c I only had a 2-horse slant to transport it. I'd get half Timothy/half alfalfa and the horses thrived on it. I moved and now the only available small-bale compressed hay is Standlee, which is horridly expensive. But it's beautiful hay. No dust, no waste, and they put out a variety of choices: Timothy, alfalfa, oat hay, grass hay, etc. If you can afford it, IMO, that's the way to go. You might check out their website. It's very informative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts