The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoughts on no slip saddle pads

9K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Polaris 
#1 ·
My mare is very large, and we are currently exercising her so her body is gonna change. But while in her plump self and being so.......well round. My saddle slips back constantly. Girth is tight, but the big gal moves me back and to the side and all around. I never feel straight. I am uncomfortable and I am sure she is to.

What are your thoughts of using a nonslip pad under my saddle pad. Thanks for your imput :)

#3 ·
Do you ride english or western? I have ridden horses of all sizes over some pretty rough terrain and never had a problem with pads slipping. You may want to use a breastcollar to keep your saddle in place.

#4 ·
Don't take this the wrong way, but how long have you been riding? Or reriding?

Less experienced, out of condition people tend to move around more than those who have been consistently riding a long time, which means their saddle pads tend to slip.

I had the exact same problem as you many moons ago, and while a nonslip pad may help, the only thing that's really going to keep that pad in place is a quiet, experienced rider.

My pads don't slip anymore, regardless of the type I use now.

#5 ·
I do ride western, and I am pretty green, but even my girlfriends who are very experienced were haveing the same problem on her too. So even while I am learning and she is learning and leaning down, are they ok to use, It may be me. I do have a breast collar to I can use, maybe that will help.

With my other guys I never had this problem, but that is back when I rode consistantly. So I guess the combination of fat and green a slip pad will work for now, then evaluate it after the fat and green factors are gone :lol:

#7 ·
Sure, a no slip pad certainly won't hurt, and it could very well help the issue.

Besides, if you and the horse are out of condition, anything that makes riding easier for both of you is a good thing!

I'm glad you weren't offended at my question. Too many people get all huffy if you mention saddle pad slippage as maybe being caused by the rider. :oops:

#6 ·
i love no slip pads ! especially for horses who are very wide/round. i would get one if i were you

#8 ·
Since I have been in your situation, I realize that obviously you want to do something to make your situation better rather than to make it worse by a poor fitting saddle pad- no slip or not. There are so many choices out there, but if you're in for an investment, I suggest you try out a Thin Line pad.
I have been a customer of theirs for a while now, and I just got an email about their holiday sale (15% off everything coupon code and free gifts). You should give them a call or one of their pads a try. I really recommend it; i noticed a big difference the first time i used their basic pad. I think it can help you! Hope this helps.

#9 ·
If the saddle is slipping that much, then it doesn't fit. It could be causing pressure points and soring your horse. If there is any pressure, then she will slim down, but the muscle will also atrophy, causing awkward saddle fit and long term pain.

See if you can borrow a wider saddle to use while she slims down. If not, then consider riding bareback or investing in one of those cashel softsaddles.

#10 ·
Saddle fit was what I was thinking also. Is there anyone that can take a look at the fitment of your saddle for you? You may find that that is a big part of your problem.

#12 ·
I'm going to disagree on the matter. If you have a saddle that doesn't fit your horse, and you are not balanced too, then I'm thinking that a no slip pad is going to rub your horse sore. In fact, part of the problem of balancing can be attributed to the roll your saddle has from not fitting him - giving him a different pad is masking the problem not fixing it.

I'll say that with the understanding that I hate those pads anyway but coupled with the two other problems, and you will make a 3rd one. The only pads I use are the 100% wool pads. They wick moisture, conform to the horse's back, and have a greater shock absorption then anything else out there.

#13 ·
We had her fitted on three saddles yesterday and feel the saddle is a fit, BUT I think she looks akward anyways due to her size. Once off I did check her for pinches and dents and found none not saying pressure point were not there. Do you have any suggestions on a saddle? I am on full QH bars nice wide tree that seems very balanced.on her is there something else that maybe was over looked that I should look for. Dont want to cause ANY damage. I agree with the wool pad that is why I was asking to me it seems like it would "pull" I know if I had back hair WHICH I DONT, I wouldnt want something grabbing it. Please let me know about the saddle issue.

Also I would never be offended, I am asking for help, so unless you know all about it how can you offer suggestions :)

I do have a breast collar, I will try that to, I still have the slip pad coming and will try it, but would like to look more at the saddle issue a little further and I will see if I can get Geiger to come out and look at her and her saddle situation.

Also I am going to check out those other pads. Thanks, I want to be safe, but I dont want to shell a bunch of $$$$ out on equipment on a horse whos confirmation may change here in the few months

#14 ·
It would really be a help if you can post some pictures taken from the front, rear, and the side - without the pad, but cinched up with the pad on.

#16 ·
OK, so I am gonna get some today since I didn't Friday, I will have 4 saddles to picture and let you all tell me what you think is a best fit, and I will let you know what I think is a best fit. Also we were messing with her yesterday, had about 4 horse people out tried the saddles 4 different ones from small riders to larger the saddle was slipping. BUT then we put the neoprene one on and it quit slipping, though it was trying it didn't. They had her in a walk, jog to a nice lope and it stayed put! But I think the breast collar will help with the minimal back slippage that was trying to happen. Since that was ONLY movement that was happening with the neoprene was the saddle trying to walk backward, visual from the latigo pulling a bit. Also, we used a thinner pad so a combo of different things and help seems to have helped at bit. NOW mind you my green hind end has yet to get up there.

#17 ·
4 horse people out tried the saddles 4 different ones from small riders to larger the saddle was slipping. BUT then we put the neoprene one on and it quit slipping, though it was trying it didn't.
... and that is the problem. The saddle wants to slip but the pad won't let it. A proper fitting saddle will not slip side to side. It may slip back a little as in going up hills but not side to side. When I take the saddle off my horse after a good ride, I have to lift it up. It will not slide off because it actually forms around his back and withers like a ball and socket. There are no dry spots or ruffled hair and the saddle has not rocked side to side when riding or even when mounting him.

In your case, the pad is gripping - not the saddle.

Anyway, that's my 2¢

Reactions: garlicbunny
#19 ·
Horses that are round and have small withers will make it harder for the saddle to stay on. My friends have a little mare who is as round as can be with very tiny withers, making it impossible for her to keep a saddle on perfectly straight. She had a no slip pad but doesn't use it anymore (I will try to find out the reason why for you when I see her next)

The saddle pad that I use is a non-slip pad, which I love and swear by :) but I use the no slip only because I do alot of trail riding with my horses and my fiance and I travel different places to ride...there may be very steep hills up or down that we have to go on...the no-slip pad keeps the saddle somewhat in place, but definitely don't keep it in place all the time...I still have my saddle slipping when I go down really steep hills. So don't expect a "I'm going to put this on and my saddle will be practically glued here". It helps prevent it from slipping, but it can slip, and if it slips alot, I'm sure there could be the damage of ripping hair out

#22 ·
That is a world of difference! I've heard good reports from using a neoprene cinch and I've used one from time to time.

#24 ·
The short answer is Yes. I use one by Classic Equine but I like the ones by Weaver and the new one by Clinton Anderson. The cheap ones are still ... well ... cheap.

#26 ·
I've never had any issues with using a neoprene girth....i think they are great.

I currently use the one made by Professional's Choice, but there are many to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.