The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

So I am currently looking to adopt this 3-year-old mustang mare. She is out of Adobe Town Wyoming and apparently 15.2hh at three years old.

I'm not looking to do anything crazy with her, I just want to experience working with a mustang. However, I do want to make sure her conformation is ok as I'm wanting to do a bit of dressage with her (Training 1 or intro tests). Also, do you all think she might grow to at least 16hh given her height and current age?

Thanks in advance! :runninghorse2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
At 3 the skeletal height is over 98% done. Some are finished and as tall as they will get. You just don't know. If she is truly 15.2 and an early 3 then she could put on another inch maybe two. Muscle maturation and building her top line will also put a small amount of height on her.

Any horse can do entry level dressage. Some better than others but it is not just about the horse conformationally but how well the rider asks and the horse responds. Getting the basics down well maneuver by maneuver and then putting it all together so the horse is well versed in what is being asked makes a difference.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Wow she's gorgeous. I am confused, though. If you know her parent, how is she a mustang? Isn't a mustang a feral horse?

FWIW I ride my Pony and I had a dressage instructor come out and give us a lesson. She said that he would be a great dressage horse, at least at lower levels. I asked her why, as he has somewhat choppy and small gaits. She said he seemed very submissive and relaxed while working, and as a judge (right, did I mention she also judges dressage shows?) that was really important to her. Basically she would have given him a lot of points just for his attitude.

Sorry, that doesn't really address your questions about conformation. I am not qualified to make any observations there, LOL.

Reactions: amg800

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
She's cute...
Being her young age she will thicken as she matures and that can indeed have her growing yet or as she broadens she will also appear larger.
What you are looking to do with her...put some really good basic training on her, make that a firm foundation of knowledge for her and that will cover nearly all of what you want to do with her as a competition horse.
Would she make a higher level abilities animal is unknown...
Not only is it build but horses mental attitude that allows us, the rider, to advance with our riding partners further...
But as a beginner and a bit more riding partner, she should be great.
If you decide to take her on, please start a journal so many of us could follow you as you work together to your goals fulfilled. :cool:

:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
At first glace she seems really well put together. I am not a conformation expert...only thing is that she seems a little weak in the hind end, but she may fill out more and that will change. Her back also looks a little long for me, but again...I am used to my short backed little horses.

My mare was still growing a bit at 3, by the time she was 5 she was done.

Any horse can do intro level dressage. If you are moving up in the levels, you would want a horse who can bring their hind end under them, and I think generally a more uphill horse is more desirable.

My horse that I do dressage with is downhill - it doesn't matter, we are still learning and having fun.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Wow she's gorgeous. I am confused, though. If you know her parent, how is she a mustang? Isn't a mustang a feral horse?
The OP doesn't know her parents, the "out of" was the area she's from :)

Personally I think she looks pretty nice, and with muscle I bet she'll be gorgeous. Can't comment on the height thing.

Reactions: loosie and ACinATX

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Overall, I like her. She may grow another inch or two but 15.2 is not a bad height if she doesn't. She will definitely fill out. I think that she is a pretty horse and nothing glaringly wrong with her.
She is built a little downhill right now. Could be the way she is and will stay or it could indicate that she will grow a little more. I would guess the latter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Overall, I like her. She may grow another inch or two but 15.2 is not a bad height if she doesn't. She will definitely fill out. I think that she is a pretty horse and nothing glaringly wrong with her.
She is built a little downhill right now. Could be the way she is and will stay or it could indicate that she will grow a little more. I would guess the latter.
Ok, yes I thought she looked a bit downhill as well, especially with the photo of her in the ring. Is it just me or does her head look super big for her body in the second photo as well?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's cute...
Being her young age she will thicken as she matures and that can indeed have her growing yet or as she broadens she will also appear larger.
What you are looking to do with her...put some really good basic training on her, make that a firm foundation of knowledge for her and that will cover nearly all of what you want to do with her as a competition horse.
Would she make a higher level abilities animal is unknown...
Not only is it build but horses mental attitude that allows us, the rider, to advance with our riding partners further...
But as a beginner and a bit more riding partner, she should be great.
If you decide to take her on, please start a journal so many of us could follow you as you work together to your goals fulfilled. :cool:

Thank you! What do you typically look for in a horse regarding mental attitude? I have been told that this particular mare is super calm, and unreactive to new situations. The owner said when they picked her up from holding she simply walked on the trailer, and has never tried to buck or resist when working on the lunge. I'm unsure if this would mean she will be lazier under saddle, or simply more responsive? I for sure plan on documenting my experiences on YouTube, so will share on here once I decide on a horse. :cowboy:

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Ok, yes I thought she looked a bit downhill as well, especially with the photo of her in the ring. Is it just me or does her head look super big for her body in the second photo as well?
Maybe a little bit, but I think it's partly because of the angle of the photo and partly she has growing/filling out to do still. I think that she is a lovely horse.

Reactions: amg800

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Over sized heads are pretty common in the feral horses.

Caused by malnutrition at a young age.
Ok, that makes sense! Do they typically grow out of this with proper nutrition?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
How old was this filly when her former owner got her?

I know 2 women who adopted BLM mustangs. I was not impressed at the time. With a little maturity and good care and training they turned out to be jaw dropping. One went on to be a police horse and the other a trusted mount and winning open show western pleasure horse.

The girl you are looking at is lovely. I don't think her head is an issue. Looks good on her!

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
Thank you! What do you typically look for in a horse regarding mental attitude? I have been told that this particular mare is super calm, and unreactive to new situations. The owner said when they picked her up from holding she simply walked on the trailer, and has never tried to buck or resist when working on the lunge. I'm unsure if this would mean she will be lazier under saddle, or simply more responsive? I for sure plan on documenting my experiences on YouTube, so will share on here once I decide on a horse. :cowboy:
Wait, so this horse has been in captivity and handled for how long?
Obvious some work has been done as she is braided over in the picture...but how long has she been "owned" and fed properly by her now owners?
That could change some responses and yours about changes still to take place with better nutrition...

As far as what would I look for in a attitude...
Well, having a brain and using it, not be a hot-head reactionary horse to everything in their existence for one.
A sweet disposition, wanting to share your company and trying hard to please you, to figure out what it is you ask of them...
Has nothing to do with being a mustang, it has everything to do with reaching for a partnership in work-ethic between the two of you...
Don't buy without meeting cause you might find a horse whose personality not mesh with you and won't work for or with you but against you every step of the way..
Sorry, but to me unless you really know the seller this is a animal you need to see, meet and handle.
Anyone can say anything, but the truth of personality and attitude is what you need to find out for yourself.

I also was under the impression BLM mustangs were not sold but adopted and adopters can't just "sell" them off to anyone either.
She's branded so she is legit BLM mustang...unless the people have the paperwork to prove her ownership with number documentation I would tread carefully going forth and further.
If she was born in captivity from a mare already adopted out, she would not be branded and can be sold outright...otherwise :think:
That is my understanding and I admit it may be wrong.

jmo...

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I like her and yes the head is a little large but I think in the one picture the way the halter rope end curls around and behind the jaw line makes it look even bigger than it is, and she will grow and fill out some more too which will help match the head a bit more.
Her personality and disposition, if good, will way outdo any thoughts of her head.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
She is nice looking. Can't tell for sure from those pics, but it seems she is quite high heeled in front, 'broken forward' h/p angles and looks uncomfortable on her feet to me. That is not a 'conformational' thing though, but 'environmental'. Angles at very least, can be corrected to hopefully avoid or at least minimise any joint damage. Did she grow up wild, doing many miles, or was she caught young & lived in holding pens? As a 3yo, unless they're already really contracted from lack of movement/wear, if she can have good trimming & lots of 'conditioning' work as of now, there's a very good chance she can still develop good, strong feet. Otherwise, she may be just like many other domestic horses & need hoof boots for rough ground or such.

I wonder, that if you want a mustang just for the experience of 'handling a mustang', how this one will give you that, as she has obviously had a basic education already at least. As with any horse, depends on their experiences as to how they are to handle.

·
Registered
49,450 Posts
there is nothing 'wrong' with this filly. She is pretty and will only get prettier. If you are up for training an untrained horse, this horse has the potential to be a very nice mount. There are no glaring faults. None.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
My understanding was that there is a process you go through to obtain clear title but that once you have the title papers the horse can be "rehomed" to another approved adopter. I doubt they have the man power to track those adopted for the life of the horse. I have seen a few for sale close enough I have thought of going look at them. It would be interesting to hear from those that have been through the process of adopting and then selling. It seems it could make sense to sell to someone that can put a good handle in several a year and get them started then sell to a home that would be a good fit.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I think she is gorgeous, and I think the large head in the second picture is due to camera angle. Standing too far back or if the horse shifts it's head just a tiny bit can change the proportions enough to throw you.

Boojum with his head turned in and me too close to his butt...

_DSC7273.jpg .

And if they shift a lot it can be catastrophic!

IMG_1326.jpg

I think that mare is lovely!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts