The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying this stuff to see if it will help with Mav’s Poopy Butt. He has been on less than half the amount for his body weight and workload (because he’s an easy keeper and this is high calorie— I would have liked to just get the Outlast supplement but go figure, my local Tractor Supply store doesn’t have that) up until yesterday (when I started giving a bit more). I must say, I feel pretty happy with it so far. It hasn’t totally cleared up Mav’s bottom troubles but one must remember he isn’t on a full dose, and it has made it more manageable for sure. As for making sure it doesn’t cause him to gain weight, I am exercising him much more. I do know it’s low sugar, and I like that about it. He can’t have a lot of sugar or his feet go “time to blow up with abscesses! I love self destructing!” lol. However I don’t know the most about nutrition, and want to learn more, so that’s why I am making this post, to point me in the right direction, and I figured I would start with this.

I will explain what the gastric care thing is all about— It’s meant to balance the PH of their gut as it’s got Purina Outlast supplement in it.

I will post pictures of the bag and what the feed looks like so if folks want to look it up, they know what to look for. (I am not sure if providing a link counts as free advertising so I will just let y’all do a google search, lol.) It also has yeast extract, that’s supposed to be good for the gut too I would think right?

I have been giving a very small amount to Dixie and Pistol. Could just be the shedding instead but their coats look very nice right now and Pistol is looking very healthy muscle-wise despite limited exercise too. Maverick’s muscle tone is looking good too.

Edit: adding the nutrition label because what I am interested in is what all this means.

·
Super Moderator
14,485 Posts
I'm not going to comment on why you are feeding the Ultium feed which you are...
If you want to just feed Outlast, then do so.
It is available as a separate ingredient supplement at TS stores...
It is company policy to special order for customers if they ask...stores all around me carry this as a stand along supplement now, they did not before but demand changes as does store stock then on hand...

🐴....

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not going to comment on why you are feeding the Ultium feed which you are...
If you want to just feed Outlast, then do so.
It is available as a separate ingredient supplement at TS stores...
It is company policy to special order for customers if they ask...stores all around me carry this as a stand along supplement now, they did not before but demand changes as does store stock then on hand...

🐴....
I wasn’t aware that you can just ask them to special order things. And I haven’t seen it on the shelves, despite going multiple times a week to check.

But quite frankly I feel pretty happy with how they’re looking and feeling on the feed… Maverick has gained muscle through exercise while on this seemingly much easier.

Reactions: horselovinguy

·
Super Moderator
14,485 Posts
Contrary to some opinions...Purina is not a garbage feed company and Ultium is probably one of the nicest feeds on the market today.
I do feed Ultium because of what it offers my horse that he "needs" requires..😉
Ultium is calorie rich at nearly 1900 calories per pound, so weight gain is very real a possibility...

A secret to having a stable recipe and nutrient values is a printed on the bag label not a sewn in label....this feed offers that printed label on the bag.
A recipe that offers high calories, proper nutrients when fed according to bag directions, high fat, high fiber and a 17% combined max NSC is packaged as a tasty product to eat.
It smells good, looks consistent and nice in appearance and never found it dusty nor "bad"...my store now brings in 30+ bags more a week as so many have discovered this product and the favorable things it provides to our equine friends.
For me, I know what day is the delivery and I place my p/u order that evening so when I go to the store there is my bags set aside ready for me cause to many times they were sold out...hence I learned you can special order from the customer service desk... (y)
🐴...

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, I have found that out about Purina just recently hearing about other horse feeds they produce, and although I am not the most knowledgeable about horse nutrition, I do feel I’m able to tell when someone is just trying to sell me something versus when a product is actually good. On these feeds I have found it may be ideal to look at How it is being advertised on the website... does the website claim the food to be oh so amazing but doesn’t explain why as if it is some miracle feed… or does it give scientific explanations of what makes it so good? I have noticed that Purina’s horse feeds do this even on the back of the bag, they are not just proclaiming some miracle feed but instead explain how and why it is good. That was a major selling point to me despite it being $50 a bag. If you can sell me on a $50 feed coming from not feeding grain at all, you were pretty convincing!

I have heard that about the labels before, but I had forgotten it until you mentioned it just now.

Out of curiosity, @horselovinguy, are you feeding the purple bag Ultium with outlast in it or are you feeding that one in the Blue bag I have seen too? Or a different one I haven’t seen? I know there are a few types of Ultium.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,025 Posts
I've read good things about this feed. It gets recommended regularly on Horse Vet Corner, too.

At a glance at the label, I would want more vitamin E going into my horse than that, unless they're on grass, in which case they're probably fine. Vitamin E breaks down in hay, so they often need it supplemented, and should have a minimum of 1000 IU (and up to 3000 IU) of it per day. I also don't see biotin anywhere on the label, but again, depending on what horses are eating, they produce it themselves in the hindgut. Good to see what appears to be a decent amount of copper and zinc with no apparent added iron, though I can't really tell how much because I'm used to reading mg and not PPM of those ingredients. The balancer I feed, for example, has 760mg of zinc and 300mg of copper in an average daily serving. Same with magnesium -- I have no idea how to interpret the magnesium content based on how it's listed, but at least it's there?

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine are on grass so they should be good on vitamin E by that standard! ;)

Reactions: SteadyOn

·
Super Moderator
14,485 Posts
lily...I feed the blue bag, Ultium Competition style...
It too has the Outlast in the recipe now...
That is a addition that is pretty new...only the past 6 - 8 months think it is being done.

FYI... it is Purina who today manufacturers feeds for Triple Crown, Southern States, Nutrena and Dumoor and not sure who else...
Specific recipes are generated for each manufacturer and specific feed...
Horse feeds are made in mills that are specific of ionophore free so no chance of contamination ever occur.
🐴...

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neat, I did not know about them putting it in the blue bag now. Do you know what the other differences between the blue and purple bags are...? I believe the purple too is made for performance horses, so I am wondering what the difference really is now.

·
Super Moderator
14,485 Posts
I don't know specific differences and do not want to guess or give wrong information.
Contact Purina customer support..for the facts.
Scroll through this as there are coupons for Outlast to save you money...
🐴...

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know specific differences and do not want to guess or give wrong information.
Contact Purina customer support..for the facts.
Scroll through this as there are coupons for Outlast to save you money...
🐴...
Thank you so much for the coupon resource!

Reactions: horselovinguy

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
I'm thinking $50 a bag is a misprint. With coupons I have gotten that exact fed from TSC for as low as $23 a bag. Typical cost depending g on which side of the river or state I am in it is $27 to $30. Well worth every penny if you have a performance horse that needs a lower nsc (20) and high calories to keep weight on with the amount of work they do. Know that if you are not feeding the minimum recommended you are not coming close to the RDA for their dietary needs. Check your local feed stores other than TSC as someone in your area will have the Outlast if TSC does not have it in stock and any should be able to order it in if they carry Purina products.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I've fed purina ultimum gastric care to high sugar/starch at 17 percent. Had to stop feeding it ice, got a bit sore footed on it.

Aso tried the outlast seemed to work for a while. then stopped working so didn't buy it again. I'm finding any molasses in feed causes issues gut wise for my horse. So I feed molasses free feed.

Actually feed a supplement made by horse tech, no iron, no soy no molasses. Has everything horse needs vit/min wise. Mix it with alfalfa pellets or cubes depending on what one ice will eat. Only thing I add extra of is vit E.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I considered the expensive Impact Supplement then realized the feed he was on at the trainers already has it. She feed him that to help keep his ulcers away.
It is Purina Impact Professional Performance. It costs $23 a 50lb sack at my feed store.

I have always had incredibly good results with Purina Feeds across multiple species. My chickens lay more eggs, the first and greatest horse of my life lived to be 40 on Purina Horsechow 200. My German Shepherd is fit, muscular, sleek and shiney on Purina Large Breed Adult recipe and nothing else. My pet rats lived many years on Rat chow. Heck, if they made Peoplechow I would eat it.... hey wait, don't they also make breakfast cereal?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Lily I agree that Purina makes a good product. I’ve taken a lot of flack from people over the years for feeding my kitties Purina foods rather expensive “designer” cat food, but I’ve had cats live to be nearly 20. And my own vet gives his dog Purina Dog Chow.
Angelina doesn’t get any specialized feed, but she loves the Purina horse treats! Bet your horses would too 🙂

·
Registered
464 Posts
RodentRat is her name. I got her as a youngster out of the snake food bin at a pet store. On Purina Ratchow Rodents - Feed and nutrition products | Purina she grew to be a shiny, healthy, playful and highly intelligent pet. Knows tricks, comes when called and rides around on my shoulder.
I nearly got into a fistfight with a woman who was buying a rat for snake food at a local pet supply store. Boy Howdy, did I rip her a new one. How anyone could do anything so horrific to a small animal is beyond my comprehension.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Horse feeds and additives that are supposed to help ulcers--I have finished giving my hard keeper Nervous Nelly 8 doses of Ulcerguard, the medicine Omeprazole while he settles into his forever home.

By the way, Ulcerguard is such a small daily dose of paste I found I can easily put it on my finger and just stick it in his mouth. It is not like paste wormer where you have to get the whole tube in there.

So anyway, I wish to transition him to more of a long term preventative. The OP found a Purina feed that has Outlast in it. Then I noticed the feed my trainer had Arago on also has Outlast in it- Impact Professional Performance. I suppose it must have more calories since it is for 'performance' horses. The OPs Purina Ultrium Gastric Care also has a lot of calories she says. Seems like a person who does not want the calories for an easy keeper could just get a back of Outlast Supplement to add to the feed of choice. Here is the feed tag on Impact (why do they call it that?) Professional Performance.
Nutrients
Nutrient
Min / Max
Amount
Crude Protein
MIN
14.00 %
Lysine
MIN
0.70 %
Crude Fat
MIN
8.00 %
Crude Fiber
MAX
15.00 %
Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF)
MAX
22.00 %
Neutral Detergent Fiber (NDF)
MAX
36.00 %
Starch
MAX
11.00 %
Sugars
MAX
6.50 %
Calcium (Ca)
MIN
1.00 %
Calcium (Ca)
MAX
1.50 %
Phosphorus (P)
MIN
0.60 %
Copper (Cu)
MIN
60.00 PPM
Selenium (Se)
MIN
0.60 PPM
Zinc (Zn)
MIN
220.00 PPM
Vitamin A
MIN
3000 IU/LB
Vitamin E
MIN
125 IU/LB

The Outlast Supplement- says needs to be feed top dressed on feed three times a day. Another thing I like about it is it can be fed a total of 5 times a day as a "snack', such as before they are loaded on a trailer or some other stressful event. Here is Purina's web page video-

Here is a brochure Purina published about it https://www.purinamills.com/2.purinamills.com/media/PDF/Equine Professional Resources/Equine-Gastric-Health-Program-Guide-2020.pdf

·
Registered
942 Posts
Here is a list of feeds that have Outlast in it
Pelleted These pelleted Purina horse feeds include a full serving of Outlast® supplement when fed as directed: ■ Strategy® GX, designed for all ages and lifestyles ■ Strategy® Healthy Edge®, designed for maintenance, performance, and senior horses ■ Ultium® Competition, designed for horses in competition ■ Ultium® Gastric Care, designed for horses affected by the stress of competition ■ Ultium® Growth, designed for pregnant or lactating mares and growing horses ■ IMPACT® Professional Performance, designed for performance horses

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
One definition of "impact" is to have a strong effect on someone or something. This feed is supposed to bring about rapid, positive change. The name implies that. Similar to Ultium line - the ultimate. Impact is their budget line. Ultium the premium. Cost difference is roughly $10 a bag. Feed store here still charges $25 for Ultium, $15 for Impact Performance. Quality and source of ingredients allow for lower price. Not to say it isn't a good feed; it just isn't the same. Ultium will have the most calorie wise and the better amino acid profile.

If your horse doesn't need the calories then look at Enrich. If it doesn't already have gastric care order and add as a top dress. Alternately you can go with FreeBalance and add that and the gastric care to alfalfa pellets as a carrier. Both of these ate ration balancer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts