The Horse Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I switched to feeding the Purina Outlast and the Ultium Gastric Care last year. LOVE IT.

Please know that if you feed only the Ultium Gastric Care, there isn't very much of the Outlast in that. It is in there, but it's not as much concentration as if you would just feed the actual Outlast.
That is why I feed both, so that they are getting a "full dose" of the Outlast. But I like the Ultium for the other added nutrients.

And note that my horses don't get much of the Ultium Gastric Care. They get their "real measuring cup" of the Outlast, and then about 1/2 pound of the Ultium Gastric Care.

·
Administrator
36,075 Posts
MOD NOTE

Several off topic posts about rodents and other pets have been removed to ensure that the discussion stays on track

·
Registered
942 Posts
I tried to get back on track.

About this Purina Impact Professional Performance. My horse was fed 6 lbs of this at the training barn. Also with a lb. of Renew Gold, half lb. of Calf Mana and 2 scoops of Super Gain with pasture and alfalfa hay. He is as sleek and shiny as a fish. Although he does not finish his feed unless I put a few handfuls of Purina Active Senior on it. He is a hard keeper. I'd like to get him on a less complicated diet but this is what works.

·
Super Moderator
14,484 Posts
I'm going to put my neck out here...
Your feed though is lacking when it needs so many other added to give you a horse with that appearance of "sleek and shiny as a fish"...
To me, that appearance should come from 1 bag and no added extras..

When I looked at the breakdown of the basics...protein/fat/fiber... those are not the best numbers.
Its a decent feed, but just going by cost...you get what you pay for and this is cheap feed at $18.99 a bag.
Makes me wonder, seriously wonder if you could lose all of the added this & that by stepping it up and going to a true feed for performance horses or hard-keeper and try the Ultium line.
Afraid of gastric ulcers, well that has been addressed in nearly every feed with the now added Outlast.{feeding a 4 pound meal gives a daily serving of outlast gastric so that is covered}
Ratios though are pretty even in NSC ...
Where Ultium shines is fat content is at 12% is a considerable step up, and that would then cover your adding much of the fat products you're supplementing to increase the fat ratio...its in the recipe.
Scoop and feed in appropriate amounts and you might not have a "hard-keeper".

You know what your horse appears as on the diet he came home on...so you have a diet to fall back on for appearance sake.
I would switch over to Ultium and lose the other supplemental additions needed and just see where the horse in appearance goes to {good or bad} by feeding a better quality of feed.
Just like when people buy cuts of meat, they are graded and you pay for better quality...makes me think you can do better and simpler feeding at the same time.
Bags read similar but Ultium offers more of the needed building blocks of amino acids, vitamin and minerals ...you pay for that and get it.
I looked and looked for calories per pound for the Impact and can not find...
I know Ultium is near 1900 per pound of calories..
I looked at feeding directions of 1,000 pound horse in heavy work... 7.75 to 9.75 ...less needed amount of Ultium is a richer feed, dense in nutrient.

I also can't find a bag back to see if the ingredients list is printed on the bag or a sewn in label...bag printed feed is always the better feed with a consistent recipe and ingredients list.
I think you will see a positive difference in your horse or a same appearance with scoop and go from the Ultium fed alone than the Impact and then need to feed this and that and something else too.
You indeed get what you pay for.
Impact is advertised at $18.99 a bag.
Ultium on sale was $26.99 a bag, regular price is $28.99.
That difference in price is what makes Ultium a step up in quality and providing the needed for the horse. Its in the bag...

You want a easier feeding regiment....
To me nothing to lose but try and see...
Buy 3 bags of Ultium should give you a few weeks/month to try and see how the horse responds to it.
A weeks time for a complete change-over and then watch for obvious gain/loss, attitude, sass, energy levels...

I've tried many of the better manufacturers in horse feeds, their better lines of feed from them...
I went back to Ultium and that is where I stay today.
My horses have held their condition, improved their well everything...
I have a 1300 pound hulk of a paint who eats Tifton hay, and is fed 5 pounds of feed a day and looks a million bucks and acts it too...on other foods he needed half-again more and still not look or act like this.
His hooves alone, the difference is amazing...they use to split/crack and grow eh...today no splits, and farrier schedule is 4 - 5 weeks trims only and he cuts 1/2"+ , he used to barely have to nip anything but run the rasp around.
His gorgeous tail I cut every 3 months a few inches off as it drags and he steps on it... his mane is the same.
I've had this horse for 6 years now and never before had this in health...
Only difference is feed fed...Ultium is the only feed found now in my barn and will remain that way.

I say try and make your life easier.
It costs more, but not really if you don't also need to add all that extra, in fact you might save some $.
You know what you can always go back to... Now you need to see if changing a feed not give you the same or better.
Take pictures, take measurements and document is the way to know...
You will know in a months time if it succeeded or not....
If its a failure then you go back...;)
jmo..
🐴...

·
Registered
942 Posts
"I'm going to put my neck out here...
Your feed though is lacking when it needs so many other added to give you a horse with that appearance of "sleek and shiny as a fish"...
To me, that appearance should come from 1 bag and no added extras.. "

That's what I think too, but that is what the trainer had him on. I did not want to change his feed as soon as him got off the trailer or the first few weeks.

When he came to Oregon from New Jersey 9 months ago he was thin, dull coat, cinchy, a hard keeper with a short attention span. Oh yes and he is cribber too. She treated him for ulcers with 2 weeks of Omeprazole, put him on this diet, tweaked it some more last winter because it was she said it was cold and he was losing weight and needed more calories.

A while ago I saw a glorious sight in the morning light when I let him out in the field. We all love to see this sight. Across the grass he went at a flying trot, high stepping prance of the Saddlebred way. His long neck curved, his head high as it would go, his tail pluming behind like a flag. And this with no ridiculous long feet and heavy shoes. No one honking boat horn in a can at him.

Impact Professional performance is $23.50 and 50lbs Ultium is $30. where I live.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Here is the feed I used to feed my Arabian stallion - Purina Active Senior. It is what I have been putting topdress handfuls on Arago's food so he will finish his Impact Profess Performance feed with all the additives. Purina Active Senior has 10% fat and these 'Ampify fat nuggets'. This feed is $27.70 at my feed store. Maybe just add some Outlast Supplement with it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I mentioned earlier that the first and greatest horse of my life lived to be 40 on Purina Horsechow 200, a complete pelleted feed. I do not see it available anymore. But Purina seems to have changed to this feed
  • "If your horse is having trouble chewing or digesting hay, then you should replace Equine Senior® Active horse feed with Equine Senior® horse feed for the special needs of older horses that can no longer chew and digest hay or pasture."

21 - 27 of 27 Posts