The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I just got my girls feet done last night and the farrier told me that both have thrush (which I figured as much) but also the beginning of White Line. She told me it is very very mild and isn't a cause for worry but to take care of it. I love my girls, so obviously I will!

Now, in the past, I've used Kopertox with my thrush horses. This was a life ago in California where conditions were different. I am now in Ohio. The farrier recommended Kopertox as well. When I went to the store to pick some up... no Kopertox! So instead I picked up Thrush Buster (a robust price tag for a small 2 oz bottle) and Hooflex Thrush Remedy. I also already had some sort of all natural thing that a friend recommended I buy... but... I am skeptical. Which is why I went out today for something more.

Here's what I see used in my area stores for Thrush/White Line treatment:

Kopertox
Active Ingredient: 37.5% Copper Naphthenate
Directions: Clean the hoof thoroughly, removing debris and necrotic material prior to application. Apply daily to the affected hooves until fully healed.

Thrush Buster
Active Ingredients: P.V.P. Iodine Complex- 2.0%, Gentian Violet, Denatured Alcohol.
Directions: For thrush: Apply only once to all infected areas. For prevention of thrush: Use once a week in wet environments, once every two weeks in dry environments.

Hooflex Thrush Remedy
Active Ingredients: Cloroxylenol 5%, Aluminum Clorhydroxy Allantoinate .25%
Directions: After cleaning the hoof, apply Thrush Remedy into clefts of frog and any holes or cracks. For active infections, treat once daily for at least three days. For maintenance, treat twice weekly.

Thrush Terminator
Active Ingredients:"Proprietary USP White Oil Blend"
Directions: Apply once per day until thrush is gone.

What are your experiences with these products, and with thrush in general? I know that experiences vary, not just in the general hoof care of the horse but stalling and location as well. So for the sake of my experience:

I have two Standardbred mares, I live in Ohio (snow in winter, wet soil in spring as snow melts, storms/rain in summer), and my girls are stalled overnight and out during the day (unless it is raining, then they are in all day with maybe a 3 hour turnout in the indoor arena). Finally, I clean my horse's stalls every single day. All soiled bedding is removed, right down to the rubber mats, and replaced with fresh bedding. Other boarders clean twice a week. I clean every. single. day.

Looking forward to any input you guys are able to share!

Registered
Pete's goo...8 oz 40% Zinc oxide Desitin diaper rash ointment, 2 teaspoons copper sulfate powder. Created by famed barefoot rehab expert Pete Ramey. Will not burn live tissues like cheminal treatments. I've been impressed, and I have been through the thrush wars.

Super Moderator
My horse had white line, aka seedy toe.
We needed to soak his hoof, actually we treated all 4 because it would not hurt and knowing the organism was present we took no chances.
My farrier told me to get White Lightning made by Grand Circuit.
Read and follow directions carefully.
I also bought 2 soaking boots as this is a hoof soak product.
Following directions you soak for a specific time then switch to a different boot for the fumes of the soaked foot to reach into the deeper tissues.
This does not hurt good tissue but killed the bacteria creating seedy toe/white line.
One treatment and my horses feet were again healthy...we also caught it quickly and treated immediately.
I also bought a gel of the same product that I can squirt into cracks my horse develops from hot dry ground he stands on 24/7 in summer.
My farrier also said Clean Trax made by Equine Technologies he has had good results with with his clients....
One hint that may make a difference in absorption... my horses were freshly trimmed. No shoes on the hooves allows a better surface for treating.
I know this was my experience and worked for me and I haven't had a repeat issue since although I now keep product on hand for "just in case...".
:runninghorse2:...

Registered
Durasole takes care of thrush and white line a lot faster then all the other treatments. No soaking no mess and 12.99 for 4 oz goes a long ways last a long time.. done the other treatments and don't work as fast.

In wet season I use Durasole twice a week never a issue with thrush or white line again.

Premium Member
My farrier is had me use White Lightning and Clean Trax. They both worked quite well, although Clean Trax is a PITA to use and pricey. But it worked.

She also recommends oregano oil. She was showing me how to apply it, when, quick as a wink, Boojum reached around, snatched the bottle stopper out of her hand and started to eat it. I shoved my hand in his mouth and retrieved it, but not before he got a dose of pure oregano oil on his tongue. He seemed to like it!

This year's plan: French drains and pea gravel!

Registered
Hey all!

I just got my girls feet done last night and the farrier told me that both have thrush (which I figured as much) but also the beginning of White Line. She told me it is very very mild and isn't a cause for worry but to take care of it. I love my girls, so obviously I will!

Now, in the past, I've used Kopertox with my thrush horses. This was a life ago in California where conditions were different. I am now in Ohio. The farrier recommended Kopertox as well. When I went to the store to pick some up... no Kopertox! So instead I picked up Thrush Buster (a robust price tag for a small 2 oz bottle) and Hooflex Thrush Remedy. I also already had some sort of all natural thing that a friend recommended I buy... but... I am skeptical. Which is why I went out today for something more.

Here's what I see used in my area stores for Thrush/White Line treatment:

Kopertox
Active Ingredient: 37.5% Copper Naphthenate
Directions: Clean the hoof thoroughly, removing debris and necrotic material prior to application. Apply daily to the affected hooves until fully healed.

Thrush Buster
Active Ingredients: P.V.P. Iodine Complex- 2.0%, Gentian Violet, Denatured Alcohol.
Directions: For thrush: Apply only once to all infected areas. For prevention of thrush: Use once a week in wet environments, once every two weeks in dry environments.

Hooflex Thrush Remedy
Active Ingredients: Cloroxylenol 5%, Aluminum Clorhydroxy Allantoinate .25%
Directions: After cleaning the hoof, apply Thrush Remedy into clefts of frog and any holes or cracks. For active infections, treat once daily for at least three days. For maintenance, treat twice weekly.

Thrush Terminator
Active Ingredients:"Proprietary USP White Oil Blend"
Directions: Apply once per day until thrush is gone.

What are your experiences with these products, and with thrush in general? I know that experiences vary, not just in the general hoof care of the horse but stalling and location as well. So for the sake of my experience:

I have two Standardbred mares, I live in Ohio (snow in winter, wet soil in spring as snow melts, storms/rain in summer), and my girls are stalled overnight and out during the day (unless it is raining, then they are in all day with maybe a 3 hour turnout in the indoor arena). Finally, I clean my horse's stalls every single day. All soiled bedding is removed, right down to the rubber mats, and replaced with fresh bedding. Other boarders clean twice a week. I clean every. single. day.

Looking forward to any input you guys are able to share!
Best thing I've found for thrush (if it's bad) is tea tree oil. Clear out the gunk, spray area with vinegar (thrush hates the acid), soak a bit of gauze or cotton and pack it in the infected area. Remove and repeat in three days. It's always been gone in about a week for me although I keep doing it for 2 weeks.

For white line it depends on how bad. If it's the very start (not much dead tissue and very shallow groove) I just clean out all the dead, loose tissue down to a good solid connection. Spray with vinegar. Clean it out an spray it twice a day (morning/evening). If it's more severe it will depend on how bad and if it's a horse I can see almost daily. If it's too far away I'll suggest cleaning in out, and use the white lightening "bag" method or cleaning it out and backing it with white lightening gel and gauze, taped up to keep it in place and wearing a boot. I repeat this every 2-3 days. The area stays clean thanks to the boot. If the horse is a short enough distance I'll clean out to good connecting tissue and debride the hoof back to the point of good connecting tissue. Looks horrible, but since I can clean it daily it's usually fully recovered in about 4 weeks. The worst case I ever dealt with, which I had debrided pretty heavily, was fully recovered in 4 weeks to the day.

In the first photo you can see the infected area at the toe after I'd cleaned it out, but before I finished debriding it. There had been a lot of dead white line tissue removed and the groove went in about 4cm before I reach healthy connected tissue. I do not have photos of the other areas on the two infected feet, but they all went in 2-4cm. The second photo was exactly 4 weeks later and you can see the dark spots on the toe where the area that was debrided the farthest is almost fully grown back out (all other debrided areas have completely grown back out). You can clearly see that all the white line has grown back completely and is healthy.

Attachments

Registered
There's also a product called "No Thrush" which is a powder.

I usually switch between them all, and I haven't seen one that doesn't work.

If it's deep and bad I like the liquids, but if it's just to keep it away and dry out the hoof I like No Thrush.

I have used both the clean trax and white lightning. My understanding is that application is the same for both... mix with a liquid(water or vinegar deepening on which you use) then sit for 40 min, then let them gas without liquid for 40 minutes. These work the best of all, but they take some time to apply.

I also tend to clean out the area with hydrogen peroxide and cotton, then I scrub with betadine and dry the hoof before finally applying the topical product. Sometimes I pack it in with cotton like the above poster if I know I won't be able to check on it for a couple days.

Super Moderator
Thrush & 'WLD' are effectively the same thing. They can be from a range of soil born organisms, fungal or bacterial or otherwise, which are 'opportunistic', meaning they get in when hooves are compromised in some way. Thrush is what it's called when the frog is infected, WLD/seedy toe is when it's in wall material. They are invariably anaerobic bugs, which thrive in warm, damp, airless situations. So unfortunately, 'tropical' often implies 2 of those at least...

Won't get into the different prods/chemicals, except to say that especially if thrush is deep, close or into live tissue, you need to be careful what you use to kill infection, that it doesn't also damage/retard live tissue growing. Strong chemicals, including some astringent essential oils can do that. Believe it or not, raw honey & salt, or even just a salt slurry, are great for deep thrush. But 'WLD' aka 'Seedy toe' is generally only in (dead) wall material, and it's insidious, so it is safe - and pays - to hit it hard IME. I'd save 'koppertox' & other 'big guns' for that.

As to your management, given it sounds like you're in a rather wet environment & this can be problematic, that your horses are stabled on dry bedding over night is a good thing(don't usually like to see horses cooped up, but...) - feet have a chance to dry out, not be chronically damp at least. I'd wash/clean feet when you first bring them in, dry & treat with whatever topical, then it's got over night to dry fully & do it's thing, before they're out again the next day.

What else can you do? Ensuring you have good farriery, frequently enough is a big thing. Diet/nutrition is another big thing, which will help hooves be less susceptible to infection in future. And extra to 'well balanced nutrition' it has been found that MSM can help reduce susceptibility & help fight these infections too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.