The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's the weather we have had this fall and winter but I am having problems with the fat grey ticks this season. I was wondering if anyone had any remedies to remove and repel these ticks? I can pull them off but I'm afraid they will be stuck with a bunch of tick heads in their skin lol. I can't bathe the horse since it's winter. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Put Vaseline all over each tick, they'll start to suffocate and remove themselves :)

As far as keeping them away... I dunno, I've only ever had one or two ticks on my property!!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put Vaseline all over each tick, they'll start to suffocate and remove themselves :)

As far as keeping them away... I dunno, I've only ever had one or two ticks on my property!!
I've never had such a severe problem with them. You live in Oklahoma as well so you know it's been a lot wetter this year I'm thinking that has something to do with it maybe.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I do but there are a lot. Trying to make it so they will more confortable and as tick-less as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
719 Posts
Lavendar oil and rose geranium oil mixed together and put on the base of the tail, the withers, and anywhere else you feel like it will help repelle them. As far as removing them either vaseline or a match that is hot will bring them out but you have to be extra careful with the match so you don't burn the skin of the horse.

eta: Make sure you get the 100% oil though, nothing with any additives.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
One of the best natural repellant is Neem Oil. You can readily get it on the Internet.

Mix two tablespoons of Neem with the same of liquid soap and make to,two pints with hot water. Wipe this over the horse and it will help to keep,ticks and flies away. It stays potent for several days.

With tick removal, there is an art to it but if you rub the tick with a spirit like denatured alcohol they will come away easily.

Did you know that if you drop a tick on a fire or a hot plate it explodes?

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Years ago my St. B would get ticks under the ear flap on his skull. The vet carried a spray foam for this and it worked like a charm. The ticks just fell off. I so wish I could remember the name of it. Tick sense carbon dioxide and will hide either in the grass or leaves that overhang a well used trail. I read that Guinea fowl will eat ticks, even the chicks.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Deworm your horse with an Ivermectin product. It will kill all blood sucking ticks as well as get the Bots that should be migrating by now.

Then, follow up with 5% Sevin Dust when you start to see any more of them. Put the Sevin Dust in an old sock, tie it shut and pat the horse with it anywhere you see them. Be sure to get the base of the mane and the dock of the tail really good.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Too bad I just wormed everyone with safe guard. My dun colt has blood worms so I had to worm everyone else just in case. Normally I do ivermectin this time of year. The colt with the blood worms was given a broad spectrum wormer by my vet. Saw bot worms when I check his stool yesterday. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I'm excited to try them!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
212 Posts
I never had ticks on my horse, but several times I had to pull off 50+ ticks off of my female black Lab.

I personally would just use vaseline and not a match to remove the ticks.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I wouldn't use a match I'd burn myself and the horse I'm sure lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
If you live in a more wooded area of Oklahoma they are going to be TERRIBLE. My colt was down in SE Oklahoma two years ago, the trainer had just moved there and he had no idea te ticks would be so bad. Poor little guy was covered in them, he had some kind of fly spray that killed on contact but they didn't fall off. I don't have a lot of trees or tall grass on my property and I've never had an issue other than occasional ones picked up on trail rides or just randomly appearing. I was in Mangum once and I could just watch hordes of them crawl up onto my horse, it was terrible!! Horses legs were kept soaked in flyspray hahah
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If you live in a more wooded area of Oklahoma they are going to be TERRIBLE. My colt was down in SE Oklahoma two years ago, the trainer had just moved there and he had no idea te ticks would be so bad. Poor little guy was covered in them, he had some kind of fly spray that killed on contact but they didn't fall off. I don't have a lot of trees or tall grass on my property and I've never had an issue other than occasional ones picked up on trail rides or just randomly appearing. I was in Mangum once and I could just watch hordes of them crawl up onto my horse, it was terrible!! Horses legs were kept soaked in flyspray hahah
Posted via Mobile Device
See that's my problem I'm in wooded eastern Oklahoma. The parasites have been terrible here. I haven't seen blood worms in over 10 years and poor lil jackpot has them. And a friend of mines horse has them too. I've sprayed them down in permethrin it has helped with getting rid of some of the ticks so there's a start.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
452 Posts
A drop of pure lemon oil on the tick makes it let go in a hurry! I just tried it one day because thats what we use as a flea repellent on our dogs(ones allergic to all the real flea meds) and so far I've only ran across one tick it didn't work on

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've found that a twist and pull normally gets the whole thing out, you just have to be quick, so they don't grip on :lol: We had one horse at work who must have been extra tasty, seeing as most of them would come in with one or two on them, and he would come in with about 5 or 6 on his muzzle alone :shock:

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
This was the first year I have had problems withe the big grey ticks, Yuck!!
And they were in places that ticks are not normally, like in the middle of his barrel, or on his flank.
I just pull, them off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
pulling them off could leave their head in and there would be risk of infection. Plus that would be painful. I second the vaseline smearing , they slide right off.

ive been pulling ticks off since i was old enough to walk..if you wanna go the long way around the barn then knock yourself out...it makes for a sad day when i run into someone that doesnt know how to pull a tick...and painful to? lol

Reactions: Cherie
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.