The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay my lessons have been progressing nicely and I always work on any negatives from my prior lessons. My post is good, cantor is good, my small jumps are okay and my diagonal is fair (maddeningly).

On my lesson this past Saturday, my instructor kept working with me on the tightness of my right leg as I had difficulty in keeping my weight into it. Any seemed that any seat I tried, I found myself favoring my left side and it affected my posture. She had me lean to my right, rotate my hip and stay deep in my right stirrup to keep from tightening up that leg. It was uncomfortable to say the least and I left the ring feeling like I had taken two steps backward in my progress. First time leaving and feeling a bit down.

I am trying to stretch out the right leg a bit more than left by touching my toes, stair work etc. Any advice for my ring woes or other ways to loosen up a tight leg ?

I should add that when asking for a canter with my right heel it is almost effortless, while using my left feels like I have little strength to ask for it.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Ride with no stirrups! You'll need to use both sides of your body and it will strengthen you right up.

And about feeling down, its totally normal. I remember one time I was riding my trainers (spooky, previously abused, and thick headed) horse and for whatever reason I couldnt get him to make a circle. It pretty much ended with him trying to crash me into the gazebo repeatedly and me balling because my trainer was crying and yelling at me. It happens to the best of us!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Most riders have a strong side and a weak side - just like the horse. It sounds like your instructor is already coming up with some exercises to help you work on that.

Some people will go the chiro for an adjustment - that can help in some cases (if your pelvis is out of alignment which can cause you to sit off to one side).

Learning to ride well takes time. Just relax and enjoy the process.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Your post sounds like me, exactly! Lol. Right side woes. I've found that thinking about lengthening the space between my right seat bone and my heel really helps. And riding without stirrups. I will check myself by dropping my stirrup, stretching out my leg and carefully picking it back up again probably 4 to 5 times a ride.

Also, try warming up at the walk with your right arm behind your back resting near your left seat bone. It helps straighten you out and shift weight to your right side. Then bring your arm forward and keep the "shifted" seat. You will feel like you are sitting really far over on the right side of the saddle, but if you look in a mirror you are perfectly centered. It feels so strange at first, but you are definitely making progress :)

I'd be willing to bet that you scrunch up more than just your leg, so think about lengthening the whole right side of your body, shoulder as well! I've found that yoga to keep me limber has helped.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.