The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've wanted to have a horse for a loooooooong time and my mums finally said to me if my instructor trains her horse up we can try and lease him. But I'm a bit scared I'll mess everything up or make the horse ill or I'm not a good enough rider,
How easy is a half lease? Is it as stressful as I'm making it out to be?

I still would like a horse though!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I own horses because I enjoy them as they give me a lot of pleasure. When you get your first horse just have fun and enjoy the moment. Thing get pretty serious if you expect to much to soon.

Just have fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have had several horses on a half lease, and it has been wonderful. I can't remember how old I was when I had my first one on a lease. But I felt very much like you do, but after awhile I started enjoying myself.
It's not hard to have a half lease horse, you just do what you normally do with a horse you ride, and you should look at it as a very good opportunity to learn more and gain better confidence in horses. Soon you will be ready to own a horse.
I expect you are going to continue with lessons? Because that is the key to development :)
Just relax and have fun learning!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I honestly think the best thing possible would be to lease before you own. Even leasing more than one time before owning is very good for your experience. You get to learn to ride different horses and their habits. It will improve your riding technique and just how you ride in general. Leasing is a lot less stress than it would be to own because it is not as definite as a commitment as owning. That being said, you should still be careful and keep the horse's best interest in mind. If you ever have any questions always ask your trainer! Have fun with it!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have done a half lease for 2 1/2 years and I am now training my first green horse. I love it and have so much fun with it since at my barn to show you have to ride two times a week. So I love doing it I get to spend time with the horse I am working with and it has made a different in my ride.
I think if you have a good horse and a good trainer then your set

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.