The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mule, Sadie (13.2hh), is looking rather thin, her hips stick out and her ribs are visible. I have been feeding her slightly more than the bag says to, also she has for the most part unlimited grass and no hay. But she still looks thin.
Any tips, tricks, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Disclaimer:
I'm no expert in equine nutrition, especially equines that are not horses, but I think mules are somewhat similar to horses.

Would it be possible for you to post pictures of her?

What is her diet like?
What is she eating, specifically?
How much exactly is she eating? "Slightly more than the bag says" is not enough information.
Is this ongoing weigh loss or (relatively) sudden?
How old is she?
When was the last time she was vet-checked?
When was the last time she was wormed?
How are her teeth?
When was the last time they were checked?
What's her poop like?
What's her exercise like?
What are her living conditions like?
How long has she lived there?
Is there anything to worry about or particularly stressful?

I don't believe you have added enough information. There are just so many factors that go into nutrition (and why an equine is losing weight and what to do about it); we need to now those factors before offering advice.

Generally (and rather over-simplified), weight is about calories in and calories out. When an equine loses weight, that means there are more calories "out" than "in." That can be caused by simply no enough food, too much exercise, worms, malabsorption, some gut problem(s), etc.... You need to fix the problem(s), not just the symptoms.

I won't give too much advice before knowing the above. However, I will say that I, and many others, believe that for weight gain, they usually need (or that is it better for them to have) more roughage (good quality grass and hay), rather than relying on mega tons of grain for weight gain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I misspoke. I looked it up and the bag says to feed her 3.75 to 7.5 lbs of food, I have been giving her 6.5 lbs plus unlimited grass. I feed her tucker milling solution 12 (see picture below ).
She is around 20 years old, she was wormed about a month ago. she was underweight when we got her which was last December. Her poo is not runny or anything like that.
I don't know the last time she was checked out
by a vet and I don't know what I'm looking at with her teeth (she is my first if you can't tell)
I'm working on having someone look.
She is ridden for a couple hours 2-3 times per week.
She is in turnout all day (I stall her while she eats)
The only stress I can think of is when she panics
While I am fooling with her pony lol.

Attachments

·
Banned
117 Posts
When were those photos taken? She looks to have lost weight compared to the first one.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I would get the vet out to do a complete physical and check her teeth. There are a many health-realted reasons to why an equine is losing weight, from ulcers to bad teeth.

Here are some things I recommend doing. However, address whatever health problem she has before/while doing the below.
- Stop riding
- Good quality forage (such as alfalfa-hay)
- Salt/mineral block
- Rice Bran
- A senior type feed
- Beet pulp
- Oils (such as flaxseed)
- A weight gain supplement (last resort)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.